Who's The One Bad Character/risky Player You Want This Offseason?

I think the foundation of our team is set in stone, and now that we have established our core and perhaps the strongest locker room in the league we can take on some risk with the draft. We don't have many starting needs, so outside of the first 3 picks we can afford to take a guy that we may end up cutting -- or may end up becoming one heck of a player for us.

Right now the ultra talented but high risk category includes, imo:

CB/RS Tyrann Mathieu

RB Michael Dyer

WR Marquess Wilson

and potentially, even Manti Te'o who could be this year's Vontaze Burfict. Burfict was once considered a Top 10 lock, but questionable effort and bad workouts made him undrafted. Te'o should also have poor workouts with high 40 times, and reexamination of his game tapes vs. quality opponents won't be as good as the media made them sound all year. Plus the whole fake girlfriend thing, and how's he has lied about it even after it came out -- is going to cost him dearly if he lies to GMs about it in interviews saying he was just a victim too. The last thing a GM wants is to get this kid who has a bad 40 time, not great tape (see: Alabama), and questionable character to get in a room with him and lie to his face. I believe in second chances, but only to people who admit they ****** up their 1st chance and take responsibility for it. For people who cry victim and don't own up to it, **** off.

Like the Patriots, which is where our GM came from, once you have established your core and a great locker room, you can make very selective risky choices -- or more specifically, one choice. Taking all of those guys would be a mistake, even in Rounds 4, 5, 6, and 7 in a row. You continue to build a good, character-rich football team, but can add in one guy who will need to be taken under the wing of some good veterans. The Patriots did this first with drafting Dennard last year, and then this year with trading for Talib. They tried to fill their CB slots with only high character guys, but when you do that sometimes you miss out on true quality talent and the "good guys" don't work out. I'd rather not take another Chevis Jackson, Chris Owens, William Middleton, Joe Hawley, Mike Johnson, etc. instead of one of these guys.

I think of the 3, the best player for us may be Marquess Wilson who still had good tape this year. A 6'4 possession WR with outstanding body control, Wilson quit the WSU team after claiming abuse from Mike Leach's staff. True or not, Wilson isn't a bad kid. He may have not been smart about the situation, but if he tells the truth I don't see why he can't be trusted going forward. We don't really need Wilson now, but for a 5th or 6th round pick he could become a true starter for us in a few seasons. Wilson would be a natural Roddy White replacement on the outside, and could also factor in right away in 3 WR sets pushing Julio or Roddy into the slot. He'd help in the red zone with or without TG on the team, and he'd be extraordinarily cheap. We don't have good WR depth as it stands, and an injury to Julio or Roddy really ****s up our offense. But having a player of Wilson's talent would allow us to continue to have a functioning passing offense in the case of an injury.

Mathieu may be a better player, but he's strictly a nickel CB to me and we have a very good young promising player in that position named Robert McClain. We need more outside CBs, not inside ones -- although I would take Tyrann on this team.

I'm not a big fan of Dyer's, but he definitely has talent. I would take about 20 RBs in this draft before him for our scheme on offense.

I wanted TD to take a shot on Burfict. I had a little hope that he would've, but anyway I would probably take Manti over those other guys you mentioned. Also Manti is a top tier talent he would just be slipping because of those character questions if he is found too be lying. Dyer in my opinion ain't a first round RB character issues or not, Tyrann ain't a first round corner character issues or not, and as far as Wilson I haven't seen a ton of him.

From what I can tell across the NFL, teams can easily handle players with character issues on defense but offensive players with character issues routinely become cancerous, namely the skill position players. I'm not entirely sure which ones have fallen because of those issues in this draft besides the ones you listed though and I'd prefer to avoid all of them.

I bet the Burfict situation makes GM's so mad. His Junior season tape was absolutely awesome and then his Senior year it was average at best. I wish we would have taken a shot on him last year. We had the core guys then with Abe, Babs and Nic on D to teach him.

Out of that list i'd rather have Mathieu. I think he can play inside or outside position and our CB's are not neccesarily in their most youthful days. He is a guy with character concerns, but we have a very good group of leaders in the secondary.

I bet the Burfict situation makes GM's so mad. His Junior season tape was absolutely awesome and then his Senior year it was average at best. I wish we would have taken a shot on him last year. We had the core guys then with Abe, Babs and Nic on D to teach him.

Out of that list i'd rather have Mathieu. I think he can play inside or outside position and our CB's are not neccesarily in their most youthful days. He is a guy with character concerns, but we have a very good group of leaders in the secondary.

Don't see him playing outside. I rather him be inside.

I wanted TD to take a shot on Burfict. I had a little hope that he would've, but anyway I would probably take Manti over those other guys you mentioned. Also Manti is a top tier talent he would just be slipping because of those character questions if he is found too be lying. Dyer in my opinion ain't a first round RB character issues or not, Tyrann ain't a first round corner character issues or not, and as far as Wilson I haven't seen a ton of him.

If I wrote this two days which is when I wanted to I wouldn't have included Te'o, so I should probably leave him off. If you had to choose from the other 3.

And it isn't about being a 1st round guy falling, it's about having a ton of talent. Te'o may not truly be a 1st round guy either if you took him off media-loved Notre Dame and he had this season at Michigan State. He isn't fast and he doesn't shed well in reality. I got sucked into the media crazy myself, as I originally wanted to trade up for him. But now that I'm forced to evaluate him strictly as to what he would bring to an NFL team in a very fast, passing league -- I would rather have Ogletree or Minter or possibly even Arthur Brown. Te'o may not be a + asset vs. the Panthers or Saints offenses.

Tyrann would be a great playmaking nickel CB and return man for us, and if we didn't find Robert McClain I would have said him no brainer. But we really need WR depth now, and will need a starting WR to replace Roddy at some point on the outside. He's a pure possession WR and up until this tumultuous season was mocked, based on his talent, in the Top 5 at the highest and lowest late in the 1st round. He still had a pretty decent statistical season. If he had a coach he really liked and they got along, he probably would be pegged as the first WR to be drafted this year over Keenan Allen and Patterson.

From what I can tell across the NFL, teams can easily handle players with character issues on defense but offensive players with character issues routinely become cancerous, namely the skill position players. I'm not entirely sure which ones have fallen because of those issues in this draft besides the ones you listed though and I'd prefer to avoid all of them.

If I wrote this two days which is when I wanted to I wouldn't have included Te'o, so I should probably leave him off. If you had to choose from the other 3.

And it isn't about being a 1st round guy falling, it's about having a ton of talent. Te'o may not truly be a 1st round guy either if you took him off media-loved Notre Dame and he had this season at Michigan State. He isn't fast and he doesn't shed well in reality. I got sucked into the media crazy myself, as I originally wanted to trade up for him. But now that I'm forced to evaluate him strictly as to what he would bring to an NFL team in a very fast, passing league -- I would rather have Ogletree or Minter or possibly even Arthur Brown. Te'o may not be a + asset vs. the Panthers or Saints offenses.

Tyrann would be a great playmaking nickel CB and return man for us, and if we didn't find Robert McClain I would have said him no brainer. But we really need WR depth now, and will need a starting WR to replace Roddy at some point on the outside. He's a pure possession WR and up until this tumultuous season was mocked, based on his talent, in the Top 5 at the highest and lowest late in the 1st round. He still had a pretty decent statistical season. If he had a coach he really liked and they got along, he probably would be pegged as the first WR to be drafted this year over Keenan Allen and Patterson.

It was a point that came up on television as far as maybe Te'o's play was affected by this whole fake girlfriend situation in that Bama game. Maybe like 25% of it was anyway because he didn't really look completely engaged in the game. Also I saw Ogletree get ate up at times by that Bama o line and couldn't shed off blocks. I like Minter more than i like Te'o anyway though. As far as the 1st round guy, my point was that Manti just in my opinion would be the best value pick. If he fell to like the third (just hypothetical) he is an upper 1st round talent. Tyrann and Dyer are good players but more like second round guys just in my opinion. I am basically saying I feel Manti is the better prospect too me and fits a area some say is a need because Dent has been hot and cold.

5'9" with not the best coverage skills is a recipe to get ate up in the nfl in my opinion.

I'm with you 100%. I also think in Nolan's defense him being close to the action in the nickel and his penchant for making plays would work out quite well. On the outside he'd be toast, he isn't even fast. He's quick enough to work on the inside, and the slot WRs in the NFC South with the exception of the aging Lance Moore are garbage.

On the outside: Marques Colston (6'4), Vincent Jackson (6'5), Mike Williams (6'1), Steve Smith (WAY too fast and strong for Mathieu). This is why I want Amerson, but this is a different point altogether.

Mathieu is also a good return man and we only have guys good enough to fair catch the ball.

I still think with McClain on the team, who is a stud nickel CB and I hope we keep him there because the position is important for us, I'd rather have Marquess Wilson.

I want Matt Ryan to have his offensive weapons for his career LOCKED UP after this offseaon so they can all have 6-10 years together. Similar to Peyton Manning with Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Marvin Harrison, and Edgerrin James. I don't want them in pieces.

Getting RB Eddy Lacy, TE Dion Sims, WR Marquess Wilson, and my alt. mock has us trading down for slot WR Percy Harvin....that would be insane. Can add a receiving TE next year, or continue to develop Lamar Brown. Brown is actually a great complement to Sims, who would be a boon for Lacy and the run game at TE. We'd still have a 2nd and 3rd to use on defenders like DE Tank Carradine and maybe an OG like Larry Warford, and if we have another 2nd thanks to the Percy trade we could also take a DT we really like.

I'm with you 100%. I also think in Nolan's defense him being close to the action in the nickel and his penchant for making plays would work out quite well. On the outside he'd be toast, he isn't even fast. He's quick enough to work on the inside, and the slot WRs in the NFC South with the exception of the aging Lance Moore are garbage.

On the outside: Marques Colston (6'4), Vincent Jackson (6'5), Mike Williams (6'1), Steve Smith (WAY too fast and strong for Mathieu). This is why I want Amerson, but this is a different point altogether.

Mathieu is also a good return man and we only have guys good enough to fair catch the ball.

I still think with McClain on the team, who is a stud nickel CB and I hope we keep him there because the position is important for us, I'd rather have Marquess Wilson.

I want Matt Ryan to have his offensive weapons for his career LOCKED UP after this offseaon so they can all have 6-10 years together. Similar to Peyton Manning with Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Marvin Harrison, and Edgerrin James. I don't want them in pieces.

Getting RB Eddy Lacy, TE Dion Sims, WR Marquess Wilson, and my alt. mock has us trading down for slot WR Percy Harvin....that would be insane. Can add a receiving TE next year, or continue to develop Lamar Brown. Brown is actually a great complement to Sims, who would be a boon for Lacy and the run game at TE. We'd still have a 2nd and 3rd to use on defenders like DE Tank Carradine and maybe an OG like Larry Warford, and if we have another 2nd thanks to the Percy trade we could also take a DT we really like.

I like Carradine and would love to pick him up in the draft. Mathieu would be great being used like GB uses Woodson. Let him play close to the action, blitzing, helping in run support, etc. Like you said going up against guys like Mike Williams, Colston, a dude like Nelson in GB, a Maclin in Philly, Austin in Dallas. That would be bad news.

5'9" with not the best coverage skills is a recipe to get ate up in the nfl in my opinion.

Heard that about a ton of people. Mathieu is a play maker. Regardless of where you play him. I think McClain is like that as well. He came in for one play against the Broncos when Asante went out (maybe Dunta cant remember) and end up getting a pick.

Don't even have to remind you of all the FF and FR he has. I think he is a guy who would be a fine starting CB on the outside. Not saying he will shut everyone down, but honestly who does besides Revis?

I'm not even going to say he would be better on the outside than in the slot, but i do think he can plaly on the outside in the NFL and be an effective corner.

Heard that about a ton of people. Mathieu is a play maker. Regardless of where you play him. I think McClain is like that as well. He came in for one play against the Broncos when Asante went out (maybe Dunta cant remember) and end up getting a pick.

Don't even have to remind you of all the FF and FR he has. I think he is a guy who would be a fine starting CB on the outside. Not saying he will shut everyone down, but honestly who does besides Revis?

I'm not even going to say he would be better on the outside than in the slot, but i do think he can plaly on the outside in the NFL and be an effective corner.

Championship game vs Bama got ate up. That will be everyday life in the nfl if you play him outside. He is a playmaker but that is partially because the coaches put him in great spots to make plays.

Championship game vs Bama got ate up. That will be everyday life in the nfl if you play him outside. He is a playmaker but that is partially because the coaches put him in great spots to make plays.

Ok so partially because any player makes plays is because coaches put him in the right spots. He is not a benefactor of that any more than any other college football player. Fact is he is a playmaker. And its not because of his coaches lol thats kind of silly to assume.

The fact that he is such a playmaker I wouldn't want to take him off the field every time there is a 1 or 2 WR set. And have him just limited to NB. I would rather slide him inside in 3 WR sets if he is superior on the inside than he would be on the outside

I don't even want to talk about 40 times. We should all know how overrated they are. Joe Haden ran a prettty slow 40 at the combine and he is a top 10 arguably top 5 corner in the league. Mathieu has game speed. I think its pretty evident if you have seen him play.

Edited by Clark Kent

Yeah.... he got so eaten up he didn't give up over 50 yards receiving or a TD in the worst game of his career.

Edited by Kennesaw77

I would go with Tyrann Mathieu. We have some solid older guys that can be his mentor and he can learn from, plus I see McClain starting on the outside within 2 years. Mathieu reminds me of a combination of Charles Woodson and Charles Tillman. He is always around the ball whether it be blitzing or gang tackling, and he is always making a play ON the ball whether it's jumping routes (Woodson) or trying to pop / rip the ball out (Tillman). I also think he plays with some serious Swag so if Asante can teach him how to properly act I think he could be a great pickup.

I see a guy like Mathieu like this, I am giving you this contract that says if you are an idiot and fail a drug test / have off field issues your contract is null and void and you will not see any money and be shown the door. You would have to hope that would give the young man, who hasn't completed a college education, some incentive to stay clean and put his full attention into his job.