Why We Keep Winning The Games We're Not Supposed To

abstract

I work with tons of people who really, really hate the falcons. Coming into work this last Monday, all I heard is how lucky the falcons were and how we had no business winning that game. To which I consistently replied, "If we keep on winning that way then it's not luck, bud"

In all honesty, I never really had an answer for the way the falcons keep on willing themselves to victory. But I think I've figured it out. Put simply, what the falcons are best at is just plain better than what the other team is best at. And of course I am elluding to throwing the ball.

Statstics be darned, the falcons have the most potentially lethal passing attack in the game. I'm talking about the combined talent of the indiviuals that are invloved in our passing plays. If you gave every offense in the NFL 10 trys to land a 50 yard gain through the air, how many teams out there would complete that play more often than us? None. The combination of Roddy, Julio, Tony, and Harry is just too explosive. And this is why we are winning games.

As far as a team effort is concerned, certain parts of our team have let us down in various games this season and caused us to be in some unfortunate situations. Whether it be because of coaching or lack of exectuion. But when it came down to the come down, our passing attack willed us to the win(minus the Asante interception against oakland). In a close game where both teams are clicking and doing what they do best, the falcons have an ability to step it up even more. Our receivers cannot be contained as a whole, some one will be open 90% of the time. Matt Ryan is poised beyond belief. That's our offense in a nutshell. And when it comes down to the wire, even against a great defense, we will out execute them.

This is why I have complete faith in our team on sunday. Maybe our running game wont show up. Maybe Gore and Kaep will combine for 175 rushing yards on our defense. But in the moments that matter most, our receivers and quarterback will rise up and win their match ups. No matter who they're facing.

This is the same dynamic Arizona had going for them in 2008.

Edited by abstract

It's more than our passing imo. It's that our team has complete confidence in each other that they will do whatever it takes to win. They believe in each other, and they believe in themselves.

How many times have you heard someone who wins a championship say something like this in the post game: ?

"Well, nobody believed in us so we just kept believing in ourselves and playing hard and here we are."

Other than "I wanna thank my Lord and Savior" and "I wanna thank our fans" that's probably THE most common championship post-game comment there is.

Also (and this ties into the passing), with 2 minutes or 1 minute or 36 seconds or 11 seconds left and us trailing THERE IS NOT ANOTHER QUARTERBACK IN THE NFL I'D RATHER HAVE IN OUR HUDDLE THAN MATT RYAN. Not Brady, Brees, Manning(s), none of 'em.