Legit Defensive Gameplan For Sf On Sunday.

cnasty

I'm no NFL coach by any stretch of the term. I began a topic earlier in the season asking why we couldn't run a 3 or 4 DT set on early downs to help with the run. I got flamed for it, but Nolan did it THE VERY NEXT WEEK with a significant level of success.

Having established my unquestionably expansive football I.Q. with that qualifier, I have an idea for Sunday that I feel would work and would like for you all to pick it apart.

Scheme would be a 4-4-3 set on early downs and you could be extremely versatile with it.

DL: Babs, Walker, Peters, Jerry

LB: Bierman/Moore/Abe/Whoever, Spoon, Nic, Bierman/Moore/Abe/Whoever

DB: Samuel, DeCoud, DRob/McClain

Once again, I think it'd be an excellent wildcard to throw at a rookie QB who may have never even see that kind of front. We could do the whole 'amoeba' look with it. We could easily disguise coverages and blitzes amongst the LBs because we all know that they are all capable of either assignment. But the main thing is that I think it would do a great job against that QB read option. Not to mention you get Abe standing up, which would be excellent, given his ankle injury.

Just a random thought I had while "working".

Discuss.

Edited by cnasty

Not bad actually it brings Moore into the box and without a doubt we'll have to defend there TE's this week and it makes us stronger vs the run.

I think we have to be really flexible though as we have to have the right personnel to matchup with the formations they run.

I personally think we'll see alot more of a base 43 this week playing zone behind it.

It'll mean Kaepernick will have to beat us with his arm as we'll have more eyes on the QB.

I'm no NFL coach by any stretch of the term. I began a topic earlier in the season asking why we couldn't run a 3 or 4 DT set on early downs to help with the run. I got flamed for it, but Nolan did it THE VERY NEXT WEEK with a significant level of success.

Having established my unquestionably expansive football I.Q. with that qualifier, I have an idea for Sunday that I feel would work and would like for you all to pick it apart.

Scheme would be a 4-4-3 set on early downs and you could be extremely versatile with it.

Once again, I think it'd be an excellent wildcard to throw at a rookie QB who may have never even see that kind of front. We could do the whole 'amoeba' look with it. We could easily disguise coverages and blitzes amongst the LBs because we all know that they are all capable of either assignment. But the main thing is that I think it would do a great job against that QB read option. Not to mention you get Abe standing up, which would be excellent, given his ankle injury.

Discuss.

We'd be slaughtered.

QB coming to the offensive line.

Lets assume for the sake of the argument that the 49ers run a traditional 2 wide, one te, two back set from the start.

the first thing he would see is your safety over the top.

After all with three backs, one has to play center field.The two outside corners will have to play off since they don't have help over the top.

the solid part of your defense is it makes the middle a disaster and a pass rush is coming.

The QB just has to check his receivers into small out patterns or even a bubble screen and you at least get a 5 yard pick up.

The personal grouping doesn't allow you to disguise your defense.

At a Highschool and even small college level it would be fine, but at the pro level not going to work.

Edited by BadMoonRising

Discuss.

Game over. The game plan probably would be more like 5-2-4 with Nichs being the extra lineman at the LOS. If William Moore doesn't blow up his assignments again and again the game wouldn't have been so close.

QB coming to the offensive line.

Lets assume for the sake of the argument that the 49ers run a traditional 2 wide, one te, two back set from the start.

the first thing he would see is your safety over the top.

After all with three backs, one has to play center field.The two outside corners will have to play off since they don't have help over the top.

the solid part of your defense is it makes the middle a disaster and a pass rush is coming.

The QB just has to check his receivers into small out patterns or even a bubble screen and you at least get a 5 yard pick up.

The personal grouping doesn't allow you to disguise your defense.

At a Highschool and even small college level it would be fine, but at the pro level not going to work.

I see what you're saying and I can agree with most of it. At the same time, why wouldn't the OLBs going into a flat zone take away that underneath route or that screen? Or you could also play jam with the CBs have the FS slide to one side of the field and have another LB slide to a deep zone on the other side (like we've already done with Bierman several times this year).

I'm not saying it's flawless by any means and I da*n sure ain't saying to run it every down. I just think it might be legit to mix into the gameplan.

Edited by cnasty

Only problem with that is we'd be very weak on the edges. LT/RT blocks the end and a TE seals the OLB and all we have is one corner on each side of the formation (who has a WR blocking him), which would mean all kaepernick would have to do is make the single safety miss and he'd be off to the house.

Not to say it won't work because there are different ways we could line up to improve the effectiveness, but it would be dangerous.

Not to mention they have Moss on the outside and he'd be matched up with drob a lot (I think moss is their X but I'm not sure) with little to no safety help....

I see what you're saying and I can agree with most of it. At the same time, why wouldn't the OLBs going into a flat zone take away that underneath route or that screen? Or you could also play jam with the CBs have the FS slide to one side of the field and have another LB slide to a deep zone on the other side (like we've already done with Bierman several times this year).

I'm not saying it's flawless by any means and I da*n sure ain't saying to run it every down. I just think it might be legit to mix into the gameplan.

Abe and Bierman would never get their zone in time to stop quick outs.

The 49ers dont do anything fancy to confuse you. The oline is big and plays physical. There is nothing stopping Nolan from have 4 DT. Peters and Babs playing the outside and 2 big bodies playing NT. The whole idea is to win the LOS. We need to do a better job against the read option and our 2nd level needs to know their gap assignments.

Kap also does not do a good job in reading defense so disgusing our look is not going to slow him. The "amoeba" would work against Brady tho.