Bartkowski, Honorary Co-Captain

Karst41

This is Cool

Former quarterback rooting on Falcons as they head to NFC championship game

• 7 10 25 779

FormerFalcons2.jpg

Channel 2's Erica Byfield talked to the man some consider to be the greatest quarterback in Atlanta's history, Steve Bartkowski.

Related

View Larger

FormerFalcons1.jpg

Bartkowski, or "Bart" as his fans called him, played for the Falcons for a decade. He was the first overall draft pick in 1975.

• 2948518.gif
  • 2948518.gif
  • 2948518.gif

By Erica Byfield

ATLANTA —

The Atlanta Falcons are one game away from the Super Bowl.

Wednesday, Channel 2's Erica Byfield talked to the man some consider to be the greatest quarterback in Atlanta's history, Steve Bartkowski.

Bartkowski, or "Bart" as his fans called him, played for the Falcons for a decade. He was the first overall draft pick in 1975.

He told Byfield he's a huge Matt Ryan fan.

"I just hope this game comes down to the last minute and Matt has the ball in his hands," said Bartkowski. "I'm the best until, I mean this guy has come around, Matt Ryan, in half the time he is going to surpass all of the passing records that I had."

In 1978, Bartkowski led the Atlanta Falcons to the franchise's first playoff win.

Bartkowski now works in the construction field, but said not a day goes by that he doesn't think about the team he spent most of his career with.

"I miss the competition with the guys on Sunday," he said.

It is fitting that some of his biggest games were against the 49ers and this Sunday the current team will host San Francisco.

"We'll have a lot of weapons and they'll have a game plan to utilize each one of them," Bartkowski said.

The Falcons asked him to be an honorary captain for the NFC championship.

"This is the pinnacle of a sports moment for the city and at the end of the day this is one of the times we can all hang our hat on and say we were there, we were supporting this team," Bartkowski said.

There are lots of Bartkowski fans in the Bay Area because he was a Cal guy. Some people think Bartkowski is still the QB who could throw a football the farthest in NFL history. Kaepernick worked with a QB guru in the Bay Area, I forget his name, but he had worked with Bartkowski back in the day and he said in an interview recently that Kaep was "in Bartkowski's range" in respect to how far he could throw a ball.

There are lots of Bartkowski fans in the Bay Area because he was a Cal guy. Some people think Bartkowski is still the QB who could throw a football the farthest in NFL history. Kaepernick worked with a QB guru in the Bay Area, I forget his name, but he had worked with Bartkowski back in the day and he said in an interview recently that Kaep was "in Bartkowski's range" in respect to how far he could throw a ball.

Once Bart got off Peachtree Street, guy was a **** solid NFL QB, one of my favorites. Had great arm and he was uncannily accurate with his deep passes. He had his share of comeback victories too, especially in 78.

I grew up watching and hearing the announcers say...."Bartkowski....to Jenkins.....TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!!!" My best friend and I would always be "Bartkowski and Jenkins" (I was Jenkins) when playing street football as kids. We even went down to the local Champion Outlet Store (yeah...they used to have them back in the day) and had them make jerseys for us....Bart and Jenkins. We were crushed when they lost to Dallas in the playoffs.........the infamous Too Tall Jones offsides game. Kind of a unique story for 2 kids from Syracuse, NY!

Bart threw the greatest deep ball ever!! Loved that guy.

Edited by mike11571