Kilgore Trout

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is getting more and more bizarre by the minute

Update (5:17 p.m.): Notre Dame responds:

On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te'o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators.

Dennis Brown

University Spokesman | Assistant Vice President

This guy is so full of it and such a POS

Update (6:10 p.m.): Manti Te'o's statement:

This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her. To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating. It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life. I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been. In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was. Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft.

Well after seeing a couple episodes of that Catfish show (wife watches it), it would not surprise me if Teo was played by someone. There are some disturbed people out there doing some really weird crap online. Teo could be more behind this than he lets on, but it's pretty crazy the way some people represent themselves online.

It's just shocking to me that this story got so much airtime without a single person fact checking.

This is getting more and more bizarre by the minute

Update (5:17 p.m.): Notre Dame responds:

On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te'o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators.

Dennis Brown

University Spokesman | Assistant Vice President

so they knew about the hoax right.. so then why in the orange bowl jan 3rd presser did manti talk about his girlfriend and her dying of leukemia..

http://www.orangebowl.org/assets/1/7/jan3presserpt2.pdf

Well after seeing a couple episodes of that Catfish show (wife watches it), it would not surprise me if Teo was played by someone. There are some disturbed people out there doing some really weird crap online. Teo could be more behind this than he lets on, but it's pretty crazy the way some people represent themselves online.

It's just shocking to me that this story got so much airtime without a single person fact checking.

manti wanted to win awards and the sympathy for him and the hype of espn was a big reason he won awards when he had no business winning them. i lost track when i heard voters talk about how his tragedy with his grand ma and girlfriend were behind them voting for him and how he was able to overcome that.

manti wanted to win awards and the sympathy for him and the hype of espn was a big reason he won awards when he had no business winning them. i lost track when i heard voters talk about how his tragedy with his grand ma and girlfriend were behind them voting for him and how he was able to overcome that.

Yeah and I don't get that... I thought it was a sad story but I completely separated it from what he did on the football field, which wasn't all that great to begin with.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out. ESPN looks pathetic for how much substance they put into the story and pumping up Teo.

Te'o has also shared stories of them meeting on the field after the Stanford game and visiting her in the hospital and her coming to visit him in hawaii before she got sick.

per the source who spilled the beans to dead spin, they are almost 100% sure manti took part on the hoax. he knew about it the entire time.

I wanna hear what Mr. Notre Dame, Mike Golic, thinks about this in the morning. He personally knows Teo and his own son played with him the whole time there.

If Teo is exposed as this big liar involved in this hoax, I have to think his draft stock nosedives. Just sad and pathetic that he would manufacture this story for his own benefit.

There is no possible way that Te'o wasn't in on this. The girl DOES NOT EVEN EXIST. Does he really think people will believe he was victimized and fooled here into thinking he had an internet relationship with this girl and thought she was real? HE IS THE ONE WHO WAS TELLING US ABOUT BEING WITH HER IN PERSON! This lie being perpetrated right now for damage control purposes may be worse than making the girl up to begin with. What a pathetic human being!

I wanna hear what Mr. Notre Dame, Mike Golic, thinks about this in the morning. He personally knows Teo and his own son played with him the whole time there.

If Teo is exposed as this big liar involved in this hoax, I have to think his draft stock nosedives. Just sad and pathetic that he would manufacture this story for his own benefit.

I don't even like calling it a "hoax." I think of a "hoax" as getting fooled by a trick. Does anyone really think Te'o was fooled into believing (and then telling everyone) that he was with this girl in the hospital, etc.??? Unless somebody brainwashed him into believing he actually had a REAL RELATIONSHIP WITH THIS GIRL, there is no "hoax" -- just lies, lies, and more lies.

Kekeu joins a list with Alabama running backs of people Manti Te'o never laid a hand on.

Manti Te'o was trying to hug his imaginary girlfriend all night in Miami.

Manti Te'o still believes the Nigerian Refugee e-mails.

ESPN 30 for 30: McCarron & Te'o: The Tale of Two Girlfriends

The internet may be a terrible place, but it's also the most hilarious place on the planet.