What Is The Main Reason So Many Nfl Fans Dis The Falcons?

jb 3.0

Every single poll I've seen re: the NFL playoffs this weekend shows people all over the country either dislike or have little to no respect for the Falcons.

I KNOW why I hate 'em and have little respect for their recent regular season winning ways, but I didn't realize it was pretty much spread all over the country.

So, Falcon fans why is it? And don't start with this jealousy crap, because it's just not true! You have 9er fans, Pats fans, Steelers fans, Ravens fans alike, that just don't think much of your team or the organization.

Why is that?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's the history, or lack of history really. Fans of those other teams look back at what their teams have done (Super Bowl) and dismiss a team that hasn't achieved that...even fans of teams that haven't been relevent in a long time think this way.

Rave beat me to it.

Edited by mvcrook

I think it's the history, or lack of history really. Fans of those other teams look back at what their teams have done (Super Bowl) and dismiss a team that hasn't achieved that...even fans of teams that haven't been relevent in a long time think this way.

Rave beat me to it.

Thing is though, you talk to most ANY Falcon fan and they're going to try and convince you that they're the best team in the league, and have been for years!

Just look back at the 2002 when the BUCS won Super Bowl XXXVII or the 2009 season when the Saints won Super Bowl XLIV, I never saw the lack of respect or just plain hatred of the BUCS or Saints like you see with the Falcons, and we had almost as bad a history as they have. It's must be the arrogance of the organization and their fans. That's all I can come up with.

Thing is though, you talk to most ANY Falcon fan and they're going to try and convince you that they're the best team in the league, and have been for years!

Just look back at the 2002 when the BUCS won Super Bowl XXXVII or the 2009 season when the Saints won Super Bowl XLIV, I never saw the lack of respect or just plain hatred of the BUCS or Saints like you see with the Falcons, and we had almost as bad a history as they have. It's must be the arrogance of the organization and their fans. That's all I can come up with.

I haven't really seen the hate, personally. I've seen a lot of people dismiss them as not real contenders and that happened to the Saints in 2009 as well.

This is EXACTLY why I hate them. Their fans act like they are the best franchise in the NFL. I say where's the Lombardies to prove it.

if bucs were in our shoes they would be disrespected too.......one sb win over the mighty rich gannon and the raiders....not very impresive.....try facing elway and terrell davis

Sorry Dude, When we got there, and on our road there, we didn't have half the dissing of our team nationwide that you all have.

The BUCS at the time had one of the best defenses ever to play, likewise with the Saints and their offense. What do the Falcons have to hold up, besides a bunch of regular season wins, where they had to come back constantly to win. Face it, You all probably won't get much respect even if you were to pull it off.

I haven't really seen the hate, personally. I've seen a lot of people dismiss them as not real contenders and that happened to the Saints in 2009 as well.

Just the opposite with the Saints. I've been perusing the net the last couple of days and virtually NO ONE outside Georgia and Patticake Yastinkass, think they're anywhere close to Championship material.

Sorry Dude, When we got there, and on our road there, we didn't have half the dissing of our team nationwide that you all have.

The BUCS at the time had one of the best defenses ever to play, likewise with the Saints and their offense. What do the Falcons have to hold up, besides a bunch of regular season wins, where they had to come back constantly to win. Face it, You all probably won't get much respect even if you were to pull it off.

I don't know...beating SF and beating NE (if they made it) would be a pretty big feat.

i have no clue what your talking bout all the ppl in atl i know are very hesitant bout jumping on the falcons bandwagon...im the only one out of my family and friends who believed we would beat seattle

Had it not been for a mistake by Pete Carroll, you wouldn't have! That's the point! There is absolutely NOTHING special about the Falcons.

Yeah, and WTF do ya have to show for it? A Keith Brooking Jersey that's worth less than the material it's made of?laugh.png

Whatever happened to the "like" boxes on this forum?? Cause this comment would've gotten a "like" from me smile.png

Seriously has this forum gone too pc for the like button??

I don't know...beating SF and beating NE (if they made it) would be a pretty big feat.

Agreed, but if they were to do it, it more than likely would take another game like the one against Seattle, in which case there STILL would be little to no acknowledgement.

My plain and simple answer is...It's because they're the Falcons.

I have lived in three NFL cities and the perception is we're a doormat team that makes the play-offs twice a decade only to go one and done. The most common response I would get would start off with the person giving me an odd weird/confused look on their face and ask 'Why are you a Falcons fan, do you know someone on the team?'

Now that the new regime has taken us to places we have never been, those same people are probably waiting for the wheels to fall off so they can point and laugh like years past.

We dont have bandwagon fans like most major teams. We had some when Vick was here. But they left to jump on another teams jock.

Some fans still live in the 1800`s and think only the very first teams in the NFL matter.

Some fans just dont respect small franchise teams. We dont have a catchy name like "americas team". We where lucky if we where even on TV `s a year.

Some people dont know enough about us and always chalk us up to a easy win every year, then we crush their dreams so they hold a grudge.

They are jelous the lil falcons are better than their team every year.

But Falcons have been getting a lot of love from other team fans. Skin fans are supporting falcons (ever since we took down the giants causing the 3 way tie). Exspecially for killing the sehawks. Pats fans are rooting for us to, seems they didnt like the hawks either.

I guess it depends on who you play and what your role factors into their teams fate.

Yeah, and WTF do ya have to show for it? A Keith Brooking Jersey that's worth less than the material it's made of?laugh.png

Well we all know Eugene Robinson got nothing out of it.

As far as your question....... it is because the way the media pertrays us.

We win a close game and we are "lucky" a team like the pats wins a close game and they showed " grit and determination"

It all boils down to media perception.

I dont think its a matter of hate as much as it is negative ROI over the years.

The Grits Blitz Falcons were loved nationally, but they lost a big lead in the playoffs and fired their coach and disappeared.

The Glanville Falcons of the 80s were a nationally likable team, that from a national view just disintergrated from within.

Just when they started getting national recognition, their personalities got dispersed across the NFL.

Jim Jones Run&Shoot had the league really excited... the league promoted those teams cause they brought ratings.

The Dan Reeves teams just pummeled you into submission... it wasnt pretty on TV, but it was a good story that caught fire...

the comeback in Minnesota created the hugest bandwagon jump the league has ever seen.

They went to the Super Bowl and had the nation doing the dirty bird... but they didnt close the deal.

The Vick story was the key though, never had the media invested so much in a player or team without a championship.

Even Michal Jordan had to wait to win a championship to get the media love that Mike Vick got just for showing up.

The Bucs were the best team, but nationally, Vick was the story coming out of the NFC South...

and the nation was VERY INVESTED in Vick... from Madison Avenue to international accolade...all with having won nothing.

Even when the Bucs beat Raiders in that Super Bowl, Bucs may have been best team in football, but football's new toy was Michael Vick.

If a Buc fan felt slighted that they werent even the biggest story in their own division, I could see that playing a part.

In fact, as I remember, when the Bucs won their Super Bowl they were probably propped because they beat the storied Raider tradition of dominance.

But Keyshawn and Sapp and Gruden were never considered nationally likable as Bucs and I dont remember a real groundsweel of emotion toward the Bucs after they won the Super bowl.

Sapp danced for likability and Chuckie saved MNF... everybody still thinks Keyshawn is a jerk.

For most folks, it was great that the Raiders had been beaten, but that didnt translate into liking the Bucs and then folks went on with the rest of their lives.

After the Bucs Super Bowl win, their most significant notoreity has been having fired Tony Dunge and an inability to fill their own stadium on any given Sunday.