Updated 2013 Salary-Cap Space

atljbo

Updated 2013 salary-cap space

January, 15, 2013

Jan 15

5:02

PM ET

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

Now that carry-over space has been determined, let’s take a look at where each NFC South team is sitting in relation to the 2013 salary cap.

The cap won’t be set until just before the league year starts in March, but it is expected to be slightly more than $120 million. Two NFC South teams are well under the cap and two are way over it and will have plenty of work to do in the next two months.

Atlanta Falcons. After spending closer to the 2012 cap than any other team in the NFL, the Falcons were able to carry over only $307,540 in cap space. But they also were given a $1 million adjustment for reasons that aren’t clear. They’re sitting at $113 million with 48 players under contract for 2013. But that cap room could disappear quickly if they re-sign potential free agents Brent Grimes and Sam Baker.

So we're 7 mil under? Just want to make sure im reading that right

Well... yes and no.... You have to add in the 1.3 carry over plus the the cowboys/redskins 1.3. ... im not going to include the possible vick money because we need to get that to add it...

yes, 7MM under as of now. Cutting Turner saves like 7M i think, and Dunta like 9M.

gotta re-sign Moore, Baker and maybe Grimes though.

I just cant wait to see the board spaz when MR2 gets paid one of the highest contracts in the NFL this offseason. I dont think he will demand it, but i think Balnk and Dimitroff will offer it.

yes, 7MM under as of now. Cutting Turner saves like 7M i think, and Dunta like 9M.

I just cant wait to see the board spaz when MR2 gets paid one of the highest contracts in the NFL this offseason. I dont think he will demand it, but i think Balnk and Dimitroff will offer it.

I dont think he will get it until next year.

I think Baker gets resigned. LT's don't grow on trees and he has been good this year. I doubt it breaks the bank, he is not going to be one of the top 10 paid left tackles. I think the deal will be good for both sides. Grimes is gone in my opinion. He only played in part of one game this year and we have been fine without him. Even at the veteran minimum he is going to make $700k+. Thats a lot for a 30 year old CB that is coming off a major injury. I would rather take a guy in round 4 or 5 that may have a bigger upside and is going to cost just over 400k.

Falcons need the cap room to get Baker and Moore signed and maybe find another TE and possibly some depth at LB/G/S. I think the draft has to focus on pass rushers, RB, CB.

Edited by isproab

I don't think they will spaz nearly as bad now that he has an epic playoff comeback win on his resume and possibly more.

He will definitely get 18-20 million just because of his comeback numbers, W-L ratio, age and the fact that only dan Marino and Peyton Manning have had this type of statistical success 5 years in.

It sound like Pat has the final numbers... It looks like we are carrying over 1.3 mil.... I like our cap position standing at 113 mil... With the most likely Dunta Robinson and Turner release... Thats a possible 12-14 mil

Yeh not too bad. Turner will free up 5.5mil (possibly up to 8) and Dunta's pay over the next 3 years is 10.4, 12.4 and 12.5 respectively he needs to cut his pay in half or he can kick rocks. Also we need to start negotiating with Ryan now that can also reduce the cap number (his cap figure at 10mil next year). Moore and Baker are our free agent priorities.

Overall TD is in good cap shape and he's done very well with the compensatory picks we should get a 4th (Lofton) and 7th (Weems), he was clever that he traded for Asante and only signed cap casualties so we have nothing to worry about with those.

Cutting Turner and DRob will save us a lot of cash. I expect there to be more cuts as well, names like Peria Jerry, Dominique Franks, and heII maybe even Akeem Dent, come to mind. Not sure if this is McLure's last season in contract or not, but if we go all the way, he will retire. Same with Gonzo and even possibly Abe. If we cut DRob, that'll mean we're probably gonna sign Grimes. I expect us to bring McClain up through the ranks like we did with Grimes and use him as the eventual replacement for Asante. This is actually a good year for the FA pool. There will talent available on both sides of the line and even at the LB and DB positions. This offseason will be a fun one to watch.

I think Baker gets resigned. LT's don't grow on trees and he has been good this year. I doubt it breaks the bank, he is not going to be one of the top 10 paid left tackles. I think the deal will be good for both sides. Grimes is gone in my opinion. He only played in part of one game this year and we have been fine without him. Even at the veteran minimum he is going to make $700k+. Thats a lot for a 30 year old CB that is coming off a major injury. I would rather take a guy in round 4 or 5 that may have a bigger upside and is going to cost just over 400k.

Falcons need the cap room to get Baker and Moore signed and maybe find another TE and possibly some depth at LB/G/S. I think the draft has to focus on pass rushers, RB, CB.

I agree with Baker but this is an odd year with so many free agent LTs. Clady, Long, Albert and Baker will all be free agents... Clady will get tagged no doubt but I think Long (his tag figure is too high) and Albert (I think the Chiefs will take Joeckel No.1) so if these two guys hit free agency I wouldn't mind paying a little more for Long over Baker and getting an upgrade there. But with so many LTs available it probably lessens the $$ they will be asking for, well I hope.

Dent isnt going anywhere. I young MLB and good special teamer for like 500K is a good deal.

Even if we bring a new starter he will be there to compete at that price. I dont think his job is in serious jeapordy though. He would probably work well next to Spoon if we ever got serious 3-4 looks on this defense.

I have already read that ALbert is likely to get tagged as well, but IMO he is no better than Baker anyways. No doubt Clady is locked up. Long I would love to bring in as a RT and keep Baker, but that is serious cash. But imagine this line in the run game

LT - Baker

LG - Blaylock

OC - Konz

RG - Clabo

RT - Long

man, looks good on paper at least!

Cutting Turner and DRob will save us a lot of cash. I expect there to be more cuts as well, names like Peria Jerry, Dominique Franks, and heII maybe even Akeem Dent, come to mind. Not sure if this is McLure's last season in contract or not, but if we go all the way, he will retire. Same with Gonzo and even possibly Abe. If we cut DRob, that'll mean we're probably gonna sign Grimes. I expect us to bring McClain up through the ranks like we did with Grimes and use him as the eventual replacement for Asante. This is actually a good year for the FA pool. There will talent available on both sides of the line and even at the LB and DB positions. This offseason will be a fun one to watch.

Franks and Dent's contracts are dirt cheap they wont get cut, Jerry might though his cap figure will be at 2mil next season and McClure is on a vet min contract anyway

Looks like we're $7-8M under.

What if we want to re-sign WillyMo, Grimes and Baker?

What if we want to keep Turner and RobbinUs?

What if TonyG wants to cash in on his 95%?

What about the rookie draft class?

What about Cox, Franks, Hope, McClain, Mud Duck, Owens, Palmer, Pete, Reynolds, Sid, Antone and Vance?

What about incentives that probably aren't reflected here?

Dimi will have his work cut out for him this year for sure.

Dent isnt going anywhere. I young MLB and good special teamer for like 500K is a good deal.

Even if we bring a new starter he will be there to compete at that price. I dont think his job is in serious jeapordy though. He would probably work well next to Spoon if we ever got serious 3-4 looks on this defense.

I have already read that ALbert is likely to get tagged as well, but IMO he is no better than Baker anyways. No doubt Clady is locked up. Long I would love to bring in as a RT and keep Baker, but that is serious cash. But imagine this line in the run game

LT - Baker

LG - Blaylock

OC - Konz

RG - Clabo

RT - Long

man, looks good on paper at least!

No way in he!! baker beats out Long at LT and that would make Long the highest paid RT.

Franks and Dent's contracts are dirt cheap they wont get cut, Jerry might though his cap figure will be at 2mil next season and McClure is on a vet min contract anyway

I'll agree that Dent is a no brainer, but with Franks, why pay for something that you don't use? That seems like a waste.

I'll agree that Dent is a no brainer, but with Franks, why pay for something that you don't use? That seems like a waste.

Well he's on the min anyway it doesn't really matter, he may be a cut to when they trim down to next years 53 man squad but theres no point cutting him now especially since grimes and owens are free agents and Dunta maybe a cap casualty.

Turner saves only 4.5 M with a 2.5 M dead space. Draft a running back for a cheaper replacement. Good thing is Saints are at 141 M and panties at 131M. Falcons are in much better shape.

Edited by falcons007

What about Cox, Franks, Hope, McClain, Mud Duck, Owens, Palmer, Pete, Reynolds, Sid, Antone and Vance?

these are issues most teams face annually. Be glad we arent 10 over like Carolina or 20 over like the Saints. I would rather be a game away from the SB and 8M under than under .500 and 10-20M over the cap. We have much to be thankful for with this regime.

Turner and Robinson being cut will free up enough cap space to bring back Moore, Baker and Grimes IMO. ($14M+ in cap space)

as for the other FA listed....Cox doesnt matter, Franks doesnt either, McClain is RFA, Mud Duck was eague minimum and should retire, Owens is gone or back cheap, Palmer the same, Sid is a goner, Antone is gone or cheap. Vance is the only on worth keeping 100% and his deal can be offset by releasing Jerry and moving Robertson to the 4th DT.

I think he is including

But yea... I think the Truner and Robinson thing is almost a sure thing... With McClain stepping uip and hearing TD say they see him as a good # 2 CB .... You are not paying 10.5+ mil for a guy... Robbin son would have to take a HUGE pay cut.... .. I just think we move on.... With Turner... This RB draft class is deep.... I think the Turner thing is set in stone.

With Tony G.. Yes we will get an more athletic TE... But there isnt a more reliable guy...It is what it is... Again.. This happens to be a good TE draft class... We can grab a good young TE.. He wont be Tony G tho.. He may be more of a deep factor but not nearly as dependable.