Is Our O-Line As Good As Sfs ?

freebird310

No dont laugh and hate on me yet....if you look closely here at the final 2012 O line rankings , yes SF is ranked as the #1 rush line, but way down to #29 pass blocking with 41 sacks allowed.

Comparitively , ATL is way down at # 24 run blocking, but ranked #8 in pass blocking with only 28 sacks allowed. But this is the thing, it seems their rush rank is probably inflated due to CKs scrambles. as you see they are #12 in straight power rank, but # 1 at second level yards.

Our run blocking is starting to come around, and call me a Homer, but I dont see a huge advantage for them. To me his says we can get front 4 pressure on CK so Nolan will not have to blitz so much which is not something you want to do to excess vs. CK, when people have to stay home and play contain.

A SF Homer tried to preach to me they have the best O line in the league, but IMO the team we just beat is better than SF Seattle is ranked 3 rush and 20 pass with 33 sacks allowed ....am I nuts ?....

http://www.footballo...om/stats/ol2012

Why does it matter? More importantly, is our D-Line better than their O-Line? I think SF got an advantage in the trenches right now.

That is my point, that is the conventional wisdom that they are going to destroy us in the trenches, but I aint buying it ...one of the SF homers was trying to tell me they have one of the best O lines in NFL history, and I'm not buying that chit either ....

Kind of interesting, Joe Staley made the Pro Bowl (according to Statsllc) giving up 7 sacks and taking 5 penalties in 16 games and the 49ers had 436 pass attempts on the season. Russell Okung made the Pro Bowl with giving up only 2 sacks but having 10 penalties in 15 games and the Seahawks had only 405 pass attempts. Trent Willians made the Pro Bowl having given up 5.5 sacks and getting 6 penalties in 16 games with only 442 pass attempts.

All three of the Pro Bowl picks were on teams that had "read option" quarterbacks that did not throw as much and added significant rushing yards to their team totals.

For the Falcons, Sam Baker gave up 3.5 sacks and had 0 penalties in 16 games and Tyson Clabo gave up 4.5 sacks with 4 penalties in 16 gamed while the Falcons had 615 passing attempts (close to 50% more passing attempts than SF, SEA and DC).

Well Done Gentlemen!

Kind of interesting, Joe Staley made the Pro Bowl (according to Statsllc) giving up 7 sacks and taking 5 penalties in 16 games and the 49ers had 436 pass attempts on the season. Russell Okung made the Pro Bowl with giving up only 2 sacks but having 10 penalties in 15 games and the Seahawks had only 405 pass attempts. Trent Willians made the Pro Bowl having given up 5.5 sacks and getting 6 penalties in 16 games with only 442 pass attempts.

All three of the Pro Bowl picks were on teams that had "read option" quarterbacks that did not throw as much and added significant rushing yards to their team totals.

For the Falcons, Sam Baker gave up 3.5 sacks and had 0 penalties in 16 games and Tyson Clabo gave up 4.5 sacks with 4 penalties in 16 gamed while the Falcons had 615 passing attempts (close to 50% more passing attempts than SF, SEA and DC).

Well Done Gentlemen!

Exactly !

49ers DL has the least amount of sacks per drop backs. They can be had if Konz can hold up against Justin Smith and Aldon Smith when they stunt. SF offensive line is athletic and Falcons need to make sure they don't reach second level, usually good run blockers are not good pass blockers. If Abe is healthy he can get them in passing game.

Edited by falcons007

Well Done Gentlemen!

wow.....that is some perspective for you

No dont laugh and hate on me yet....if you look closely here at the final 2012 O line rankings , yes SF is ranked as the #1 rush line, but way down to #29 pass blocking with 41 sacks allowed.

Comparitively , ATL is way down at # 24 run blocking, but ranked #8 in pass blocking with only 28 sacks allowed. But this is the thing, it seems their rush rank is probably inflated due to CKs scrambles. as you see they are #12 in straight power rank, but # 1 at second level yards.

Our run blocking is starting to come around, and call me a Homer, but I dont see a huge advantage for them. To me his says we can get front 4 pressure on CK so Nolan will not have to blitz so much which is not something you want to do to excess vs. CK, when people have to stay home and play contain.

A SF Homer tried to preach to me they have the best O line in the league, but IMO the team we just beat is better than SF Seattle is ranked 3 rush and 20 pass with 33 sacks allowed ....am I nuts ?....

http://www.footballo...om/stats/ol2012

I brought the same point up about there pass blocking being below average. A sf fan claimed that the bulk of those sacks occurred when Alex Smith was at qb. Thats probably why blitzing may not be as effective as contain. Although I'd love to see a few blindside blitzes on him given that most of his runs are designed runs. Furthermore...he's not as ellusive as Wilson.

But...if anyone wants to play the numbers game....look no further than the common games played. Falcons destroy them in that dept.

Doesn't matter who has the best lines of 2012, what matters is who has the best lines on Sunday.

This is probably the smartest thing I've ever read here. It's impossible to predict football. It's fun, but it's pointless. Before week 16, I predicted that the Baltimore Ravens wouldn't be competitive for the rest of the season. WHOOPS! Turner out-rushed Lynch last week. How many people would've put money on that one?

If you were drafting a starting O-line from the 49ers and Falcons, you'd pick mostly 49ers (if not all 49ers), but it doesn't matter. Sam Baker can completely shut down Smith, who knows. Abraham could abuse Staley and sack Kaepernick 4 times, who knows.

49ers DL has the least amount of sacks per drop backs. They can be had if Konz can hold up against Justin Smith and Aldon Smith when they stunt. SF offensive line is athletic and Falcons need to make sure they don't reach second level, usually good run blockers are not good pass blockers. If Abe is healthy he can get them in passing game.

Let's be realistic... I have my doubts about whether Konz can hold up against Ray McDonald or Ricky Jean Francois, let alone Justin Smith. The kid will be a good center for us, but I think with him and McClure, the middle of our O-line is worryingly weak in terms of pure physical strength!

EDIT: I don't want this to be misread as me saying we won't win... I desperately hope we do, and I think we have a legitimate chance of doing so. I just think the chances of use outplaying them in the trenches are quite low. I think if we win this game it's with a couple of Big plays by skill position players on both sides of the ball!

Let's be realistic... I have my doubts about whether Konz can hold up against Ray McDonald or Ricky Jean Francois, let alone Justin Smith. The kid will be a good center for us, but I think with him and McClure, the middle of our O-line is worryingly weak in terms of pure physical strength!

McClure is ok, I am not worried about strength of Konz. Its just that he is rookie and inconsistent from game to game, he shut down Suh in passing game and got beat in running game. He just has to perform consistently every week in passing game and not let Ryan get beat up. He was a center and not consistently matching up with DT's one on one, hopefully those snaps in regular season helped him to concentrate and be consistent.

Edited by falcons007

I brought the same point up about there pass blocking being below average. A sf fan claimed that the bulk of those sacks occurred when Alex Smith was at qb. Thats probably why blitzing may not be as effective as contain. Although I'd love to see a few blindside blitzes on him given that most of his runs are designed runs. Furthermore...he's not as ellusive as Wilson.

But...if anyone wants to play the numbers game....look no further than the common games played. Falcons destroy them in that dept.

True its hard to sack a mobile QB when he is always outside the pocket...as to the blitzing, on Sunday like you stated, we need more blind side blitzes from the DBs and keep our LBers at home....I can see us playing some 4 across against them ....

No, you're not nuts. ATL's OL is pass blocking great right now. The run-blocking was excellent last week, although a lot of that was due to scheming (the use of Cox more, overloading one side, etc). I do think SF's front seven is better at defending against the running game than SEA's was, and thus worry that DK will (wrongly) presume that worked last week will work this week.

There's a weird dynamic this week: on the one hand, SF's lack of personnel rotation (their starters play more snaps than any other team in the league) suggests a 'wear em down' strategy whereby ATL tries to control the clock and keep their D on the field to tire them out. But on the other hand, their D (especially the front 7) are ready-made for stopping the run, especially slow-moving RBs who have a tendency of tip-toeing up to the line or moving side-to-side waiting for a hole to open (*cough*Turner*cough*). The slow developing running plays that try to get Turner off tackle are going to play right into their strength - LBs who are quick at filling holes and strong enough to take down even a big RB. Since neither Turner nor Quizz are going to run through many tackles by their LBs this week, i'd rather see Quizz get more opportunities because he's figured out that positive yards are the most important result - no dancing, no hesitating, hit the hole quickly and fall forward.

The best way to beat SF is to jump on them early and force Kaepernick to become a passing QB. The longer the games stays close, the more it allows for a single big running play by him to mean more. The D played lights out last week in the first half, but it was crucial the O was putting points on the board. In previous seasons, that would have been 10-0 or 13-0 at half, with the D's effort essentially wasted.

i really think the answer to accomplishing the goal of wearing down their D is a West Coast-style passing game that relies on ATL's physical receivers (Roddy, Julio, Gonzo) using their body to shield the defender while getting open for quick slants. There's more than one way to wear down a defense. A QB who is very accurate (no one was more accurate than Ryan this season) combined with big receivers can really frustrate a defense with the short to intermediate passing game. The clock runs, the chains move, and Kaepernick sits on the bench. This will also set up the double move routes later, and Ryan needs to continue to test the opponent deep. The TD to Roddy at the end of the half was HUGE. i expect Julio to have some big plays this week.

Edited by Kaptain Krazy

No, you're not nuts. ATL's OL is pass blocking great right now. The run-blocking was excellent last week, although a lot of that was due to scheming (the use of Cox more, overloading one side, etc). I do think SF's front seven is better at defending against the running game than SEA's was, and thus worry that DK will (wrongly) presume that worked last week will work this week.

There's a weird dynamic this week: on the one hand, SF's lack of personnel rotation (their starters play more snaps than any other team in the league) suggests a 'wear em down' strategy whereby ATL tries to control the clock and keep their D on the field to tire them out. But on the other hand, their D (especially the front 7) are ready-made for stopping the run, especially slow-moving RBs who have a tendency of tip-toeing up to the line or moving side-to-side waiting for a hole to open (*cough*Turner*cough*). The slow developing running plays that try to get Turner off tackle are going to play right into their strength - LBs who are quick at filling holes and strong enough to take down even a big RB. Since neither Turner nor Quizz are going to run through many tackles by their LBs this week, i'd rather see Quizz get more opportunities because he's figured out that positive yards are the most important result - no dancing, no hesitating, hit the hole quickly and fall forward.

The best way to beat SF is to jump on them early and force Kaepernick to become a passing QB. The longer the games stays close, the more it allows for a single big running play by him to mean more. The D played lights out last week in the first half, but it was crucial the O was putting points on the board. In previous seasons, that would have been 10-0 or 13-0 at half, with the D's effort essentially wasted.

i really think the answer to accomplishing the goal of wearing down their D is a West Coast-style passing game that relies on ATL's physical receivers (Roddy, Julio, Gonzo) using their body to shield the defender while getting open for quick slants. There's more than one way to wear down a defense. A QB who is very accurate (no one was more accurate than Ryan this season) combined with big receivers can really frustrate a defense with the short to intermediate passing game. The clock runs, the chains move, and Kaepernick sits on the bench. This will also set up the double move routes later, and Ryan needs to continue to test the opponent deep. The TD to Roddy at the end of the half was HUGE. i expect Julio to have some big plays this week.

great reply. I read the same about their front 7. I think they use the same front 7 around 90%+ of plays.

Then again if they get off the field and cause a lot of 3 and outs they may not be playing many more snaps than some defenses.

I think the screen game is another thing to keep in mind. Use it a an extension of the run game to make the front 7 run sideline to sideline, as well as keep them a bit more hesitant in the pass rush.

I think we saw in the Seahawks game why you can't count too much on stats in the playoffs. Our run game was awesome, and so was the pass blocking. Our O-line and running backs put on a display that no one counted on seeing. All that really matters is who makes more plays on Sunday.

While I am extremely impressed with the 49ers, just like I was with the Seahawks, we have a great chance here to advance. We just need to focus and play 4 quarters of great Falcon Football.

I think we saw in the Seahawks game why you can't count too much on stats in the playoffs. Our run game was awesome, and so was the pass blocking. Our O-line and running backs put on a display that no one counted on seeing. All that really matters is who makes more plays on Sunday.

While I am extremely impressed with the 49ers, just like I was with the Seahawks, we have a great chance here to advance. We just need to focus and play 4 quarters of great Falcon Football.

yea that is it in a nutshell, in order to win this one we have to play a complete game for 60 minutes and adjust to everything they do. Pretty simple concept actually, gonna take our A game to win this one, another 4th quarter meltdown = lose this time