Koetter Trying To Crack Code

SavvyFalcon89

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/football/koetter-trying-crack-code-49ers-stout-defense/nTxrc/

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

FLOWERY BRANCH —

Falcons offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter knows that his unit will face a much stiffer test from San Francisco’s defense, which features six Pro Bowlers, in the NFC Championship game Sunday than it did against Seattle.

“Right now, where we are standing on Tuesday, we are just trying to figure out how to make a field goal against these guys,” Koetter said. “How can we score any points?”

Linebackers Aldon Smith, Patrick Willis and Navorro Bowman all made the Pro Bowl, along with defensive end Justin Smith and safeties Dashon Goldson and Donte Whitner.

Justin Smith is the tone-setter. Aldon Smith had 19.5 sacks during the regular season, but hasn’t had a sack over the past four game games.

Bowman and Willis patrol the middle of the field, while Goldson and Whitner take turns playing the role of hard-hitting sheriff in the secondary.

“When we look at the front, we talk about the front seven,” Koetter said. “The three down (linemen) and four linebackers. Their front seven is as tough as it gets. They are tough against the run, and they are good pass rushers.”

The Smiths work in concert.

“(Justin) Smith does a great job with his power of attracting two guys, and then (Aldon Smith) plays off of him,” Koetter said. “They’ve got some (stunts). It’s tough to get an extra guy over there, so they can get (Aldon Smith) free. They’ve done a good job of that.”

Justin Smith is playing with a partially torn triceps tendon in his left elbow.

The 49ers gave up 294.4 yards per game in the regular season, which ranked third in the NFL. They gave up 94.2 rushing yards per game (fourth) and 200.2 yards passing (fourth).

If anything gets past the front seven, Goldson and Whitner attempt to clean things up.

“Their safeties are very physical,” Koetter said. “Good tacklers. They have taken some shots on some wide receivers, but I think that will be something where our guys will get up for the challenge. Our guys usually like that kind of a challenge.”

After running for a season-high 167 yards against Seattle, the Falcons are not sure how to attack the 49ers.

“We always have a no-huddle plan,” Koetter said. “We always have a rotation plan, but when we get into the game and sometimes it just doesn’t go that way. Sometimes your huddle stuff is going well, so you don’t want to get into the no-huddle.”

Koetter plans to leave himself some wiggle room if one player gets hot. Then, he’ll ride the hot hand for as long as he can.

“(Running back Jacquizz Rodgers) got hot the other day,” Koetter said. “He got hot running the ball early in the game. He hit three or four runs right there in a row, but then Mike (Turner) came back in and did an excellent job. Mike had three explosive runs in that game.

“Once we get in there, the fact that we do have some depth, we can go with the hot guy at times.”

Koetter is not certain that the running plays the Falcons used against Seattle — a steady diet of pitches and stretch runs — will work against San Francisco’s sleeker and swifter defense.

“We will have a plan, and it will all be based specifically on how we think we can attack San Francisco,” Koetter said. “It will have nothing to do with last week.”

There are too many variables in the run game for Koetter to assume that the rushing attack will continue to roll against the 49ers.

“I wish it was that easy,” Koetter said. “It’s just not that simple. When a play works, it’s for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, it’s scheme. Sometimes, it’s the matchup. Sometimes, heck, how many times do you think Jacquizz was just going to run over their free safety?”

Also, Koetter knows that he’s going to need another stellar showing from his offensive line, which didn’t give up a sack and allowed only one quarterback hit against the Seahawks.

“We protected well,” Koetter said. “Matt did a good job of getting the ball out of his hand on time. Obviously, we had receivers winning their matchups. Every quarterback in the league plays better when they are not getting hit. Matt is no exception to that.”

the part where he said were trying to figure out how to kick a field goal on them scares me. sounds to me he has no confidence

This isn't MM. Relax. It's paying respect to the Niners D, but I can say in full faith, Koetter is ready to take it to these guys and has the guys ready.

snapback.pngshannon, on 15 January 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

the part where he said were trying to figure out how to kick a field goal on them scares me. sounds to me he has no confidence

Yeah that kinda had me a bit concerned as well....but I think they will be ready Sunday

Thats known as the Vince Dooly Syndrome. Heap praise on your opponent and then come out and bloody their dam nose.

At the root of it all football is a game of blocking and tackling.

We figure out a way to block the Smith brothers and we will have our moments. Its that simple.

We have too much talent to be afraid of any defense, especially since we neutralized some of the "best" pass rushing teams this season.

Throw some screens to slow down Aldon and send two guys at Justin every snap

if the Cardinals can put up 13 against these guy we should be able to but up 30 period....... of course you give up no yards when you play bums all year long.... only offenseive power houses they faced all year was the Pats who put up 500+ yards and the Packers in the begining of the season.... they are good but they got a real offense to play this week

if the Cardinals can put up 13 against these guy we should be able to but up 30 period....... of course you give up no yards when you play bums all year long.... only offenseive power houses they faced all year was the Pats who put up 500+ yards and the Packers in the begining of the season.... they are good but they got a real offense to play this week

Quick note about the Cardinals: they scored their TD on a Hail Mary on 4th & 28 with seconds left in the game. We held them to 6 for almost the entire game.

Dled is quoting that out of context. He didn't say he is planning to figure out how to kick FG in the game. As they stand right now he is working on getting to FG range and the question was how important is possessing a ball.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/media-lounge/audio/Koetter_Game_Dictates_Plans/5d70df26-76bf-4790-8a33-3bb341fc2435

Thats around 10:50 mark in the interview. DLed just posts a transcript and obviously he screws it up.

coach-speak

Would you rather say we'll put up an easy 40 spot on them? Might be nice for fans to hear the week before the game, but I'm sure someone in the 9ers locker room would hear that as well.

At the root of it all football is a game of blocking and tackling.

We figure out a way to block the Smith brothers and we will have our moments. Its that simple.

We have too much talent to be afraid of any defense, especially since we neutralized some of the "best" pass rushing teams this season.

Throw some screens to slow down Aldon and send two guys at Justin every snap

in all honesty I would just attack Justin one on one, don't even show him that respect until he earns it. for all we know our linemen might be pissed and on a mission and may shut down anyone in front of them. give them that chance before you start telling them they need help, and see how much that does to their confidence

coach-speak

Would you rather say we'll put up an easy 40 spot on them? Might be nice for fans to hear the week before the game, but I'm sure someone in the 9ers locker room would hear that as well.

honestly if i were a coach id say. All you mfker hating media b!tches out there, keep hating, when we take it all the way dont jump your @ss on this wagon cause they aint no room. Then id prolly be fined by the nfl but oh well it would make some good news for them fkers

Don't know how to take Koetter's statememnts. Could be he is depressed over what he sees in 49er defense, or , less likely, is blowing smoke. Truth is he is admitting what we know --- we have weaknesses on both lines and running back; Essentially no pass rush and no kick returner.In other words -- overmatched. However, many times a good team beats a better team when they play the most consistent, mistake free game and that is what we will need to do Sunday! We beat the 49ers and I believe we win the Super Bowl.

Don't know how to take Koetter's statememnts. Could be he is depressed over what he sees in 49er defense, or , less likely, is blowing smoke. Truth is he is admitting what we know --- we have weaknesses on both lines and running back; Essentially no pass rush and no kick returner.In other words -- overmatched. However, many times a good team beats a better team when they play the most consistent, mistake free game and that is what we will need to do Sunday! We beat the 49ers and I believe we win the Super Bowl.

Its dumb Dled sucking in creating a transcript of the interview. Just watch the interview on the main site to make your own conclusions. He just mixed up stuff from that interview.

http://www.atlantafa...33-3bb341fc2435

Edited by falcons007