Pg Mock Draft - 1/15

Retired:

Tony Gonzalez, TE, Todd McClure, C

Released/Let Go:

Michael Turner, RB, Brent Grimes, CB, Lawrence Sidbury, DE, Will Svitek, OT, Mike Peterson, OLB, Luke McCown, QB, Dominique Franks, CB, Chris Hope, SS, Kevin Cone, WR, Antone Smith, RB, Peria Jerry, DT, Michael Palmer, TE

Re-signed:

William Moore, SS, Sam Baker, LT, Vance Walker, DT, Garrett Reynolds, RG/RT, Robert McClain, CB, Chris Owens, CB

Needs:

NT, RG, DE/OLB, DT/DE, TE, RB, WR depth, CB depth, S depth

Free Agency:

Sammie Hill, NT, Lions (or Terrance Knighton, NT, Jaguars)

Draft:

Trade down:

Falcons trade 1st round pick (30th overall) and 7th round pick (220th overall) to the Bengals for their 2nd round pick from the Raiders (37th overall), 4th round pick (115th overall), and 5th round pick (138th overall)

Ansah will likely shoot up draft boards in the coming months so I doubt he'll be around for the Falcons pick and there really isn't anyone else worth taking there who won't be there a little further down the line so it's an ideal situation to trade down. Meanwhile, the Bengals just watched Dalton struggle mightily in the playoffs again due in large part to having no real complement to Green. The Bengals are filled to the brim with slot receivers but that isn't going to cut it. They'll trade up here to pick up the best WR possible, and this move will be needed because there is a minefield of teams (maybe Patriots, Chiefs, Eagles due to the chronic injury problems of Jackson and Maclin and the total lack of a redzone threat, and when do the Lions ever not take a WR in the first two rounds?) that have the same need between us and this pick. They could also use this trade to get Lacy or Bernard if either are still available, which again may be needed since a few teams between us and them need a RB as well, which is also something the Lions like to do in the first two rounds. They also have enough ammo to feel comfortable with this trade up since they'll have their own 2nd round pick to go with two 1st round picks.

Dominates top tier competition. We need him.

This is the year to double up on quality edge rushing talent, especially scheme versatile talent like Chase Thomas and Sean Porter so Nolan can run his hybrid in a way that confuses offenses as much as possible. Abraham is 34 and I don't want to bother relying on hope for one of the projects to breakout... again. If the projects like Matthews and Massaquoi pan out then all the better for us. We're helped out here since Porter is being overlooked due to all the edge rushing talent in this draft and that he played as a 4-3 OLB this year due to A&M switching schemes.

Apologies for the lack of game film but not much of it is up that focuses on him right now, so hopefully some pops up in the next few months.

4th (comp.) - Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M

I have no idea where exactly to mock him since his draft grades are all over the place, so I'll just put him here at the bottom of the 4th. He would be a good complement to Quizz and has a nose for the end zone.

He's a pretty good WR as well, so we kill two birds with one stone with this pick.

Roster:

QB: Matt Ryan, Dominique Davis

RB: Jacquizz Rodgers, Christine Michael, Jason Snelling

FB: Bradie Ewing

WR: Roddy White, Julio Jones, Harry Douglas, Chad Bumphis, DJ Davis

TE: Gavin Escobar, Chase Coffman, Adam Nissley

LT: Sam Baker, Lamar Holmes

LG: Justin Blalock, Mike Johnson

C: Peter Konz, Joe Hawley

RG: Larry Warford, Philipkeith Manley

RT: Tyson Clabo, Garrett Reynolds

RDE: Jonathan Babineaux, Brandon Williams

NT: Sammie Hill, Travian Robertson

LDE: Corey Peters, Vance Walker

ROLB: John Abraham, Sean Porter, Jonathan Massaquoi

RILB: Sean Weatherspoon, Akeem Dent

LILB: Stephen Nicholas, Robert James, Pat Schiller

LOLB: Chase Thomas, Kroy Biermann, Cliff Matthews

CB: Asante Samuel, Dunta Robinson, Robert McClain, Rod Sweeting, Chris Owens

FS: Thomas DeCoud, Charles Mitchell

SS: William Moore, Jonathan Cyprien

K: Matt Bryant

P: Matt Bosher

LS: Josh Harris

RS: Chad Bumphis

Edited by Psychic Gibbon

I'm not a massive fan of converting to the 3-4 but I like this mock. Players like Sean porter and Chase Thomas are pretty scheme diverse so I believe Nolan would find a way to use them regardless of scheme.

I've been a big fan of Christine Michael since he left HS.

I'm not really a big fan of drafting all these guys for the possibility of running a 3-4. It seems wasteful when we have a massive need for a 4-3 DE.

I don't like the idea of Sammie Hill starting for us. Dude was the 4th best DT on the Lions.

We've had a massive need for a 4-3 DE since 2008 and nothing has panned out, so I'm opting to circumvent it. Besides, Nolan prefers the 3-4 as the base formation and considering how much he has used three DT sets this year I don't see why people are still clinging to them sticking to the 4-3. As for Sammie Hill, I see your point, but if I were to venture a guess they're going to address at least one DT need through free agency since there will be some decent ones to choose from in free agency. I can't blame him much for being only the fourth best DT for the Lions though. It's like faulting Harry Douglas for only being the fourth best passing target for the Falcons.