What Is The Reason For The National Anti-Falcon Bias?

kennycaine

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the market. ATL does have a large transient population. Just like Phoenix. So when these people move here (PHX), they bring their team with them instead of piggybacking onto the local team. Within 10 miles of my house, there are 3 devoted "team" bars. Bear, Steelers, Vikings. No one really is a die hard Cards fan out here.

When you take that into account, and the fact that even though PHX and ATL are LARGE markets, the NFL following isn't as big as NY, Chicago, Pitts, etc. Thats why those cities get the love, they get the coverage. That's just compounded when you understand that Falcons games are almost never on TV outside of that market, and you have a NFL fanbase that simply doesn't see any Atlanta games.

ESPN and NFL Network are more like Fox news and MSNBC than they would like to admit. They would rather cover Rex Ryan and Tebow than report facts. They are in the business of ratings, not coverage. They aren't unbiased, and they never will be. In fact, it's just going to get worse.

Has anyone seen the recent Sports Illustrated? It has on the cover,,,wait for it,,,Colin Kaepernick! The media expects Sunday to be the Kaepernick Show. Why does this irk me somewhat?

Matt Ryan led the entire league with 7 come from behind 4th quarter wins. What quarterback in NFL history won three games with less than 40 seconds coming from behind? If the coverage is not slanted then why isn't there one segment about him to the seemingly hundreds about the great Kaepernick?

The guy beat Eli Manning AND the great Peyton Manning. He led the league in completion percentage, was 5th in passer rating and passing yards, He passed for 32 TDs and started all 16 games. He led his team to the best record in the NFL at 13-3 yet he is considered the LEAST reliable quarterback remaining. Heck a Sports Illustrated writer stated that he would choose rookie Russell Wilson over Ryan. I like Wilson but be honest, like Flacco and Kaepernick he was backed by a top defense. What would happen here if you coupled Ryan with the #1 defense?

All three of the remaining quarterbacks other than Ryan had both a good to great defense and at least a good running game. Ryan won with a defense and running game ranked in the bottom eight in the league. How is he not the MVP? Denver reached round two last year with Tim Tebow and a running game plus a good defense. Where would the Falcons be without Ryan? Is anybody foolish enough to believe that without him we win 7 games? Its this kind of disrespect that I am speaking of and that has nothing to do with a market.

It undermines the no one respects Matt Ryan statement you made.

25 seconds in a playoff game against the number one defense pretty much ended any sane persons ill will toward Ryan.

I don't get why that fact is glossed over.The media gushed over Russell Wilson and the Seahawk comeback but minimized the amazing nature of what Ryan did. All of the momentum was on the Seahawk sideline. Our defense was a dam that had burst. The fold job had nothing to do with Ryan, even the interception that occurred at the Seahawk 32. To make those two throws against the top ranked defense in the NFL would have been legend IF Peyton Manning or Tom Brady had rallied their teams from the brink of disaster.Think of the pressure of the moment, standing on the brink of a loss greater than the Oilers against the Bills. That made his feat one of the greatest clutch performances in Falcon history.

Drama sells and it just happens the Falcons have been chosen to play the role of the team people love to hate they are just trying to bring a little WWE type drama to football.

I would just say to that: Where is the bad-guy hype? Wasn't Bad Hulk Hogan hyped as much as the good version?

It's our history. We have a history of getting everyone's hopes up and then failing big.

As fans, we've stuck with them through thick and thin. Outsiders - not so much.

They don't trust us.

Here I think Tandy has this right on the mark, and the small market may play some factor as well. If you guys can recall back to the 2010 season, we were getting a LOT of hype that year, then we self-destructed to the Packers. Then last year the humiliation from the Giants.

Although I love my Falcons, I can understand the doubters outside of our fanbase. I could fill a couple sections in the Dome with people I personally know who were once devoted Falcon Fans who just abandoned the team along our inglorious path to get where are now. A few of these include folks who were season ticket holders for many, many years.

It will take more than 5 straight winning seasons to change perceptions about our team, and Atlanta will never, ever be the market the media types are targeting with their discussions.

Hey guys, Niner fan here. And not coming here to troll but just to have a football discussion between "opponents".

IMO, the reason you are not getting the respect you're demanding is because of your SOS (Strength Of Schedule) this season which was by far the easiest in the league.

Your SOS this season is .422 and easily the lowest in the league.

http://espn.go.com/n...ank/order/false

We had the same problem last season when ours was .441 or something and nobody gave us respect because of all the "you have 6 games in the NFC West" etc etc.

Anyways, here's to a great game on sunday and hopefully injury free!

I realize the number doesnt look good, but when you consider the fact that we played the same schedule as Carolina except 2 games, and they have the 4th toughest schedule while we have the worst, you have to understand that SOS isnt as meaningfull as it sounds. We played a pretty ordinary NFL schedule. Id say it was just as hard as 2011 or 2010 etc.. and just because the percentages dont reflect that doesnt mean it isnt true

Ryan won with a defense and running game ranked in the bottom eight in the league.

You say this, then think it's "Anti-Falcon bias" that Atlanta is not being picked by many to win the NFCCG, or given due respect? Maybe the poor defense and running game you speak of has something to do with it?

Trust me, it is a better position to be in anyway. How much your team is respected = (How Good they Are) / (Distance from New York City). Tampa Bay's coach last year disrespected the 49ers so much that he said that he was not going to even plan for the game. . . and then we blew them out at home. It was fun to be in the stands.

The media did not give the 49ers a chance until they knocked off the Saints and they treated the SF Giants like they are in the Little League this year even though they won the world series two seasons ago.

Seattle fans get even more disrespected. The only reason they finally got respect at the end was because they did so well against so many good teams.

Trust me, if the Falcons stadium were in New Jersey, they would have been ranked #1 every week. You got ranked lower than other teams because:

1) You got blown out in the first round of the playoffs last year.

2) You never went on the road to face any of the NFLs toughest teams and won (whereas Green Bay and San Francisco did).

3) You almost lost to the Raiders at home. . . the Raiders!

4) You are on the East Coast, but pretty far from NY City.

Edited by CandlestickBum

I realize the number doesnt look good, but when you consider the fact that we played the same schedule as Carolina except 2 games, and they have the 4th toughest schedule while we have the worst, you have to understand that SOS isnt as meaningfull as it sounds. We played a pretty ordinary NFL schedule. Id say it was just as hard as 2011 or 2010 etc.. and just because the percentages dont reflect that doesnt mean it isnt true

They are 7-9 while the falcons are 13-3. So obviously there will be a be difference.

You say this, then think it's "Anti-Falcon bias" that Atlanta is not being picked by many to win the NFCCG, or given due respect? Maybe the poor defense and running game you speak of has something to do with it?

You miss the point entirely. That point was to Ryan being summarily dropped from the MVP conversation after a loss but he did all of what he did without any of the benefits of the remaining quarterbacks and even those now gone from the playoffs who were severely hyped, such as Wilson and Robert Griffin III. With how much he did with so little in comparison to the other playoff qbs, my assertion was that he was as much as or even more valuable to the Falcons as the touted Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning.

Could Seattle have won 10 games with Matt Flynn? Maybe. Could Washington have won 9 games with Kirk Cousins? Possibly. San Francisco benched a winning qb so of course they could win 11 games with Alex Smith. The Texans won last year with third-stringer T.J. Yates so that's a yes. Denver made the playoffs in 2011 with Tim Tebow. For sure the Patriots could win 10 games with Ryan Mallet. Why, because these teams have great defenses and strong running games; both of which that I point out that Matt Ryan doesn't have. That's why I feel that its a snub borne of national bias. This guy has gotten almost no credit from the media that I feel that he deserves. lets recap: 7 4th quarter comebacks, 4,715 yards passing, 32 Tds, 68% completion percentage, #5 in qb rating, #3 in tqb rating, the league's best record at 13-3; all of this despite the 28th run offense and with having to score 26 points per game due to having the #24th ranked defense to back him. Again, who is foolish enough to think that the Falcons win any more than 6 or 7 games without Ryan? That's the point of the post, sir.

Edited by kennycaine

You miss the point entirely. That point was to Ryan being summarily dropped from the MVP conversation after a loss but he did all of what he did without any of the benefits of the remaining quarterbacks and even those now gone from the playoffs who were severely hyped, such as Wilson and Robert Griffin III. With how much he did with so little in comparison to the other playoff qbs, my assertion was that he was as much as or even more valuable to the Falcons as the touted Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning.

Could Seattle have won 10 games with Matt Flynn? Maybe. Could Washington have won 9 games with Kirk Cousins? Possibly. San Francisco benched a winning qb so of course they could win 11 games with Alex Smith. The Texans won last year with third-stringer T.J. Yates so that's a yes. Denver made the playoffs in 2011 with Tim Tebow. For sure the Patriots could win 10 games with Ryan Mallet. Why, because these teams have great defenses and strong running games; both of which that I point out that Matt Ryan doesn't have. That's why I feel that its a snub borne of national bias. This guy has gotten almost no credit from the media that I feel that he deserves. lets recap: 7 4th quarter comebacks, 4,715 yards passing, 32 Tds, 68% completion percentage, #5 in qb rating, #3 in tqb rating, the league's best record at 13-3; all of this despite the 28th run offense and with having to score 26 points per game due to having the #24th ranked defense to back him. Again, who is foolish enough to think that the Falcons win any more than 6 or 7 games without Ryan? That's the point of the post, sir.

Yes, I understood your point about Ryan and MVP status. However, I think you may have missed MY point. You say (in this post) that Ryan is being snubbed due to anti-Falcons bias, as he did so much with such a mediocre/bad team. You also say (in previous posts) that the entire Falcons team is being given no credit due to anti-Falcons bias, as they really are a good team. You can have it either way, but not both.

Personally I like being the underdawg now... when and if we win in new orleans, it will make our story all the more sweet and memorable...

Especially winning in the Saints house... what a comeback that would be to every Saints fan that talks trash...

Us winning in the Saints house would be branded and etched into the mind of every Saints fan for eternity.

GoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooFALCONZ!

The reason that Carolina's schedule was tougher is that the Falcons were on it twice.

The only reason for the national anti-Falcons bias is simple and obvious: money. We don't sell gear. We don't sell merchandise. Illegal sweatshop laborers aren't (literally) dying to crank out hotly desired Falcons jerseys.

Win championships = more people buying our gear. More people buying our gear = more love from NFLN and ESPN.

Sure we can all say it doesn't matter that the Falcons get no respect, that all the team needs to do is keep winning. The "fly under the radar" thing is over...The Falcons are one of four teams left so no one hides in plain sight. This question is concerning the seeming national bias against the Falcons.

For example, despite having the best record all season, the Falcons were continually described as having the best record in the NFC while Houston and Denver later were described as the best record in the NFL. The NFL "power rankings" would have 4 or 5 teams ahead of the one with the NFL's best record and even when ranked #1, the media could not wait for a reason to move them down. Matt Ryan was an MVP candidate supposedly then after a loss he was never mentioned; it became the Manning-Peterson race. Roddy White has All-Pro statistics yet Vincent Jackson was named to the Pro Bowl to replace Calvin Johnson. A 13-3 team has only 3 Pro Bowl players? The Houston Texans, who self-destructed 12 games into the season have 9!

When Seattle took the lead in the game,the announcer called them a "team of destiny" yet little was said about Ryan leading three comeback wins this season with less than 40 seconds remaining, including the Seattle win with 25 seconds left. Most of the conversation was about the 20 point implosion rather than the improbable comeback, something done only once previously in NFL history with under 30 seconds left and being behind (The Titans and the "Music City Miracle" were the only other team). the statements were those like "They blew a 20 point lead! or "They were playing scared" as if they were hoping for the chance to write about the greatest collapse in NFL history. It seemed many media people were disappointed that media darling Seattle lost and the Falcons won!

In fact the majority of "experts" took Seattle to win and now San Francisco is the national talk, ie, how do the Falcons stop the vaunted Colin Kaepernick and not the 49ers stopping the Falcons two 1000 yard wideouts and Pro Bowl tight end and quarterback. The ESPN scroll kept repeating "Falcons blow 20 point 4th quarter lead" where virtually nothing has been said about the failings of media darlings Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers. What is behind the media being so anti-Falcons?

Its not really anti-Falcons...it is anti-South.

We are conservative as a region, and the National Media is more inclined towards liberalism...thus, the NE and Left Coast teams....sorry to break this down in geo-political terms, but, I feel this is the reason....Think also, lack of respect for the SEC and college football...No love for UGA either, same reason.

We are not cosmopolitan enuff!

Its not really anti-Falcons...it is anti-South.

We are conservative as a region, and the National Media is more inclined towards liberalism...thus, the NE and Left Coast teams....sorry to break this down in geo-political terms, but, I feel this is the reason....Think also, lack of respect for the SEC and college football...No love for UGA either, same reason.

We are not cosmopolitan enuff!

You have got to be kidding me. New Orleans? Dallas? Houston? Cam Newton? Are these not cosmopolitan enough for the liberal "National Media"? And on what planet is the SEC disrespected, year in and year out?

• 4 weeks later...