Keys To Winning The Nfc Championship Game

bossFALCON™

DEFENSE

1. We need to go with a similar scheme to last week...only add a few tweaks (add a couple of more QB spies and also a few more zone blitzes). Kap is a different player than russell wilson; Think ATL Mike Vick and Philly Donovan McNabb. Both were mobile QBs, but one was a run first guy and one was not. Kaepernick not quite as good at going through his reads or reading defenses. Wilson is very good in those two areas, and really is a pocket QB who only runs when he HAS to. Wilson is VERY good at using his mobility to create throwing lanes (think Aaron Rodgers). He moves around and makes throws on the run very well, and a lot of the time his mobility forces the defense to come up and defend him, which creates an open throwing lane (this is the main reason the seahawks had so much passing success against us last week, combined with the fact that they almost never throw to the TE, which caught us off guard). Kaepernick will do this too, just like all mobile QBs do, but he doesn't do it quite as well as Wilson and Rodgers. I have a hard time imagining Kaepernick lighting up Nolan's zone like Wilson did, and it will be up to our LBs to rise up and cover the TEs this time.
  2. We have to force at least two turnovers. Asante, Decoud, Moore, Robinson, Spoon, Nic.... They will have to rise up and make plays on the ball, whether it be an INT or a FF. We desperately need to win the turnover battle.
  3. FRONT 7 will have to come ready to play... this means hard hats and lunch pails guys. We can not let their oline dominate us out there. If we do this game will turn out similar to the UGA-BAMA game earlier, where the tide ran at will and totally controlled the LOS.

OFFENSE

1. We need to play ball control! Rip a page out of the '10 Falcons playbook this week. Protect the ball, play great on 3rd down, NO DROPS, and protect the ball. Protect the ball. We need to win the TOP battle and force the Niners to abandon their run game. If we can possess the ball 35+ min, we WILL win this game. Sidenote: This does not mean we shouldn't take deep shots or play aggressively, but when we do we need to hit those plays.
  2. Julio and Roddy will have to have big games. Their secondary is good, but no secondary can shut down our wideouts. Roddy and Juuuuuulio need to dominate their matchups similarly to the cowboys game when they faced two stud corners. Minimize mistakes, and dominate the man across from you. This will REALLY help our run game, as well as our TOP.
  3. OL will have to do the same thing as our DL. Bring your hard hats and lunch pails. DOMINATE THEIR FRONT 7. Football is not played on paper and just because they have a bunch of all pros on that side of the ball doesn't mean they can't be punked. See: SEA game, Giants game, Rams game.... It can be done

We can and will win this game. All the Falcons have to do is stick to their guns and play their game. It's gotten us this far and their is not a team in the NFL that we can't beat, especially in the GA dome. I already know the dome will be rocking and we're going to have to give the Niners **** until Matt Ryan, Tony Gonzalez and Arthur Blank are on the podium hoisting that trophy!

LETS DO IT FALCONS AND RTFU!!!!!!

632194438_2013_Super_Bowl_47_300x286_xlarge.jpeg

I think SF has only won one game when Frank Gore rushed for less than 100 yards. That will be the key, just as it was for lynch.

They've actually won eight games when he's failed to top 100, and last week's game was his first 100 yard game since week 7 against seattle at home. I do agree that it will be imperative that we slow him down though.

Stop the Run. It was the reason the Falcons beat the Seahawks, and it will be the key to beating San Fran. If Kaepernick can light it up throwing the ball, then so be it, tip your cap. Using spies is a bad idea - basically wastes a defender. No LB for ATL can keep up with Kaepernick speed-wise. Using a spy only works if the spy can actually track down the target. Focus on stopping Gore, wrap up and gang tackle. Lay the wood on Kaepernick at every opportunity. Figure out how to deal with the TE down the middle.

On offense, it's unlikely ATL will be able to run on the 9ers like they did the Seahawks. This won't be the game for Turner - the 9ers LBs are very good at filling gaps and stopping RBs who like to dance in the hole. Quick passes to WRs and TEs are more likely to get the 5-6 yds than trying to run those slow-developing off-tackle plays with Turner or the dipsy-doodle reverses to Jones. Ironically, San Fran's front 7 is susceptible to the 'west-coast'-style passing game. Death by a thousand cuts with quick and accurate passes.

San Fran will only rush 4 until they are forced to do anything differently. Their D is a lot like the great Giant Defenses of recent history - get pressure with the 4 DL, allow the LBs to play fast and mean on anything coming out of the backfield or across the middle, DBs don't have to be as good because the QB rarely has much time to throw. When that formula breaks down, their D can be exposed. Ryan needs to have excellent communication with his receivers, and he needs to be accurate on his intermediate throws - those are the ones he'll be relying on when the pressure is there. If the OL can continue to play well, Ryan will have opportunities for big plays.

Bosher needs to step up. No more 30 yd dying duck punts. Some fans are going to be frustrated because Nolan is going to do the same thing he's done against all the flashy offenses - take away their big plays and force them to drive the length of the field. If Kaepernick & Co are required to run 10+ plays to score points, the chances that his inaccuracy and recklessness will generate mistakes increases significantly.

The Niner O-line is huge and it is a better run blocking line than the Seahawks. I think it's going to be hard for the Falcons to stop that run. I see two advantages the Falcons have in their favor. One is the combination of a real good QB like Ryan with the best 2-receiver tandem in the league and a hall of fame TE. And, the second is the added motivation of being called underdog in your own stadium when you're the #1 seed. I don't agree with that at all. I think they should be calling this one even.

Play like they did in the first half of the seahawks game, and eliminate the mistakes- missed assignments, poor tackles on D, bad throws by Ryan, horrible punting by Bosher.

Ryan could have had 3 more TD passes with better play- Ryan didn't lead White enough on the end zone pass on the first drive, HD dropped a long pass and Ryan & Jones missed connection of a couple of long throws- probably going to need 30 points to beat them. 40 wouldn't hurt.

SF, I think plays its D starters about 95% of snaps- keep them on the field, wear them down.

On D, keep away from the big play, they'll be fine- DTs have to blow up some of those run plays in the backfield. Moore has to get back to being Moore- think a lot of the blown assignments on TEs were his.

Need something like Massaquoi having 2 sacks, Walker going crazy with TFL or HD going for 100+ yards and 2 scores- some of the role players/2nd stringers need to come up big.

Run a lot of no-huddle on offense. The 49ers don't substitute personnel that often.

Play contain and blitz more on defensive 3rd and longs.

Sidenote: Why can't Sidbury ever see the field? So far, we've seen Matthews, Massaquoi get the start before him. What happened with him, I wonder?

Sidenote: Why can't Sidbury ever see the field?

You didn't see him Sunday because he was on the inactive list. Can't answer the 'why' definitively, but since the coaches jobs are on the line every time they make a personnel decision, my guess would be "because they don't think he's good enough to help the team win."

DEFENSE

1. We need to go with a similar scheme to last week...only add a few tweaks (add a couple of more QB spies and also a few more zone blitzes). Kap is a different player than russell wilson; Think ATL Mike Vick and Philly Donovan McNabb. Both were mobile QBs, but one was a run first guy and one was not. Kaepernick not quite as good at going through his reads or reading defenses. Wilson is very good in those two areas, and really is a pocket QB who only runs when he HAS to. Wilson is VERY good at using his mobility to create throwing lanes (think Aaron Rodgers). He moves around and makes throws on the run very well, and a lot of the time his mobility forces the defense to come up and defend him, which creates an open throwing lane (this is the main reason the seahawks had so much passing success against us last week, combined with the fact that they almost never throw to the TE, which caught us off guard). Kaepernick will do this too, just like all mobile QBs do, but he doesn't do it quite as well as Wilson and Rodgers. I have a hard time imagining Kaepernick lighting up Nolan's zone like Wilson did, and it will be up to our LBs to rise up and cover the TEs this time.
  2. We have to force at least two turnovers. Asante, Decoud, Moore, Robinson, Spoon, Nic.... They will have to rise up and make plays on the ball, whether it be an INT or a FF. We desperately need to win the turnover battle.
  3. FRONT 7 will have to come ready to play... this means hard hats and lunch pails guys. We can not let their oline dominate us out there. If we do this game will turn out similar to the UGA-BAMA game earlier, where the tide ran at will and totally controlled the LOS.

OFFENSE

1. We need to play ball control! Rip a page out of the '10 Falcons playbook this week. Protect the ball, play great on 3rd down, NO DROPS, and protect the ball. Protect the ball. We need to win the TOP battle and force the Niners to abandon their run game. If we can possess the ball 35+ min, we WILL win this game. Sidenote: This does not mean we shouldn't take deep shots or play aggressively, but when we do we need to hit those plays.
  2. Julio and Roddy will have to have big games. Their secondary is good, but no secondary can shut down our wideouts. Roddy and Juuuuuulio need to dominate their matchups similarly to the cowboys game when they faced two stud corners. Minimize mistakes, and dominate the man across from you. This will REALLY help our run game, as well as our TOP.
  3. OL will have to do the same thing as our DL. Bring your hard hats and lunch pails. DOMINATE THEIR FRONT 7. Football is not played on paper and just because they have a bunch of all pros on that side of the ball doesn't mean they can't be punked. See: SEA game, Giants game, Rams game.... It can be done

We can and will win this game. All the Falcons have to do is stick to their guns and play their game. It's gotten us this far and their is not a team in the NFL that we can't beat, especially in the GA dome. I already know the dome will be rocking and we're going to have to give the Niners **** until Matt Ryan, Tony Gonzalez and Arthur Blank are on the podium hoisting that trophy!

LETS DO IT FALCONS AND RTFU!!!!!!

632194438_2013_Super_Bowl_47_300x286_xlarge.jpeg

This will get us to a win as well as most other plans. The problem is their running game --- very strong, athletic OL. Gore runs mostly between tackles on the 'read option' and Kaepernick runs outside. Very little time to adjust when the option is run from different formations. I believe a poster in an earlier thread mentioned hitting Kaep on every read option whether he has the ball or not, and play outside contain. Not sure about 'un-necessary roughness, but I believe he is fair game on an option until the ball is across the LOS. Also, the contact has to be 'legal'. There are ways to minimize the read option just as every other offense. Just not sure it has been 'fleshed out' yet.

The fact that we play a lot of nickel coverage will help us against the read option because we'll have an extra corner

This will get us to a win as well as most other plans. The problem is their running game --- very strong, athletic OL. Gore runs mostly between tackles on the 'read option' and Kaepernick runs outside. Very little time to adjust when the option is run from different formations. I believe a poster in an earlier thread mentioned hitting Kaep on every read option whether he has the ball or not, and play outside contain. Not sure about 'un-necessary roughness, but I believe he is fair game on an option until the ball is across the LOS. Also, the contact has to be 'legal'. There are ways to minimize the read option just as every other offense. Just not sure it has been 'fleshed out' yet.

it sounds too simple, but all you have to do is stay in your gaps, get off of the blocks and wrap up the ball carrier. Again, it's easier said than done, but that's the key to stopping the option. When guys start to think too much or take bad angles is when the Qb rips off huge runs. It's really not all that different than the wildcat.

The good thing about SF though is that they run their option from more power formations and the pistol, similar to WAS. SEA runs the option from spread looks more often than not, which our defense struggles against.

Nice read.

For me it boils down to 2 things.... Not turning the ball over and playing our defense.

We do that... we win.

I do like the fact you mentioned Vick and Mcnabb because that is a very accurate comparison IMO.

Wilson is a scrambling qb....a guy who moves to buy time but still looks to pass first.

Keapernick isa RUNNING qb, a guy who moves not to by time but to try and run the ball.

There is a huge difference in the way we play those 2 guys.

Nice read.

For me it boils down to 2 things.... Not turning the ball over and playing our defense.

We do that... we win.

I do like the fact you mentioned Vick and Mcnabb because that is a very accurate comparison IMO.

Wilson is a scrambling qb....a guy who moves to buy time but still looks to pass first.

Keapernick isa RUNNING qb, a guy who moves not to by time but to try and run the ball.

There is a huge difference in the way we play those 2 guys.

If you had actually been watching Kaepernick play and not watching highlights, you would understand that Kaepernick is not a run-first QB. Only a couple of his runs on the Packers were design runs. Take away the 56-yarder where he ran by the Packers secondary like they were standing still and most of his yardage came when he dodged the blitz and took off because he had no open receivers. He hurt them just as badly with his arm on Saturday. His 40-yarder to Davis down the seam was probably the best pass thrown by any QB all weekend. And the two TD Passes he threw to Crabtree were impossible to defend. They were like darts hitting a bullseye. Kaepernick throws unbelievable passes.

Edited by billb49

I still think the key to the game for the Falcons is Ryan throwing to Jones, White and Gonzolez. That's a very formidable combination that can change the game. I don't think your undersized front is going to consistently be able to stop the Niners run game. Let's just say I'll be very surprised if that happens. And, if the game is close, I can easily imagine the Niners O-line just wearing your defense down. That's often what they do. If you watched the Packers game, by half way through the second half, the Niners were just gouging them with runs.