No Abraham......................no Problem

Bring It

Abe, when healthy is a GREAT pass rusher, make no mistake about that.

But he really is needed against more convential pocket passers like a Brees or Manning Bros.

Sunday against Kaepernick he won't be missed that much. Mr. K will be rolling out, always on the move. A quick pass rusher tends to "over pursue" a rabbit like Kaepernick, blowing by him or always missing him in the pocket.

Perhaps a more conventional D lineman will have better results...............containing him, not rushing him.

Just a thought.

I actually thought about this, losing Abe isn't the worse thing right now. Yes, having him is a lot better than not. But Abe isn't the best against the run, which we'll see a lot of, and he could get us in trouble by opening running lanes for Kaepernick.

Personally, I'd use Abe sparingly and run a sh*t ton of zone blitzes. Kaep struggles with that. I'd line my entire front 7 on the line every snap to confuse Kaep. He wouldn't know who's coming or who's going. If it's a run, we're there to fill the lanes. If it's a pass, drop like normal and run the zone blitz. Of course you can't do it all game, but a good share of it.

Abe, when healthy is a GREAT pass rusher, make no mistake about that.

But he really is needed against more convential pocket passers like a Brees or Manning Bros.

Sunday against Kaepernick he won't be missed that much. Mr. K will be rolling out, always on the move. A quick pass rusher tends to "over pursue" a rabbit like Kaepernick, blowing by him or always missing him in the pocket.

Perhaps a more conventional D lineman will have better results...............containing him, not rushing him.

Just a thought.

A healthy Abe is still one of the fastest DEs in the NFL. Kapernick will find that out real fast if he runs. Abe will come running up behind Kapernick and tomahawk the ball out of his hand.

So with this logic we should just employ backups that are slower in an attempt to contain? Uhhhhh, wouldn't you need speed to pursue & tackle him before he breaks on a long run? Personally, I think the key is stuffing their run (like they did Lynch). Make them have long yardage situations to convert. Short yardage situations will limit the defense's options because they won't be able to key on the pass. But, the Falcons are definitely going to have to blitz with no Abe. SF throws a lot of deep balls & we are going to have to get pressure on Kaep. Wilson seemed to have an eternity of time on Sunday & I think our DBs were excellent in coverage on their receivers (still have to find an answer for the TE coverage though)

Edited by Sidious

So with this logic we should just employ backups that are slower in an attempt to contain? Uhhhhh, wouldn't you need speed to pursue & tackle him before he breaks on a long run? Personally, I think the key is stuffing their run (like they did Lynch). Make them have long yardage situations to convert. Short yardage situations will limit the defense's options because they won't be able to key on the pass. But, the Falcons are definitely going to have to blitz with no Abe. SF throws a lot of deep balls & we are going to have to get pressure on Kaep. Wilson seemed to have an eternity of time on Sunday & I think our DBs were excellent in coverage on their receivers (still have to find an answer for the TE coverage though)

One thing is for sure :

Having Mike Nolan to attack the problem vs. the infamous BVG.