Just An Idea

hjerry

Just an idea, and if you think that it's stupid, that's fine, but what would you think if we traded Corey Peters for a 4th round pick. This would be assuming that Nolan is targeting a NT and changing how our DTs are being used, therefore altering the number we keep on the roster, of course. I just feel like he hasn't been as good since coming back from his injury. Jerry, imo, has actually been better. I'm not saying that he's been terrible, and I am not asking that we do this. This is merely speculation, but for a 4th, do you think that it would be worth it? Remember, don't flame too hard. This is merely speculation.

If we are taking a DT with one of our first 3 picks, or bringing in one in free agency, then I'm all on board.

I'd even trade Peters for that 4th if the right DT was available when the 4th was OTC, like Jordan Hill from Penn State who I believe is flat out better than Peters without the injury issues.

Peters is going to quickly just become depth for us. I really think we may end up signing Glenn Dorsey as a "cheap" signing this offseason, and it's a **** perfect fit. Everything that is needed for Dorsey to thrive in Atlanta is aligned. Player motivation? Dorsey wanted to be drafted by Atlanta and publicly declared as much prior to the draft. The fans wanted the franchise to pass on Matt Ryan for him, for crying out loud. So now we get our cake, and EAT all day too (that's supposedly the rage in the NFL now). Scheme fit? Dorsey in a 3-4 defense was almost as dumb as Vernon Gholston as a 3-4 OLB. Dorsey is a pressure guy up the middle, and wreaked havoc at LSU doing so. He was considered a Top 5 pick because of that ability to destroy in a 4-3, not because he'd be any good in a 3-4 as a space eater and OT-holder as a DE. But the Chiefs, I mean.....Pioli has had better times. And financial motivation? Talk about a mega launchboard. If Dorsey can tear it up in Atlanta as a DT next to Babs in Nolan's aggressive penetrating scheme, and he's only signed to a short term deal (2 years), then he can re-hit free agency in his prime at max value with 4-3 teams banging down his door.

Imagine if Geno Atkins who is a very similar prospect to Glenn Dorsey, and also to Jordan Hill, was drafted by a 3-4 team like the Chiefs and asked to play 3-4 DE and hold up OTs to free up Tamba Hali. That would be a disaster and a total waste of his talent which we are all now aware of.

Dorsey in this defense, playing in a dome with fans that love him.....I hope TD makes this smart signing. If it happens, we can trade Peters for a cup of noodles or some protein bars for Quizz. He won't see the field behind Babs, Dorsey, and Walker who is likely to be resigned on a similar deal.

I wouldn't be shocked if we signed Dorsey AND drafted a DT in the 1st round if OSU's Johnathan Hankins or Georgia's Johnathan Jenkins were available. Babs can't play forever, and if he gets hurt we'd then only have Dorsey. Dorsey is also on a short term deal. We need a stud to groom to be our man in the middle, that is for certain. Either of those guys can also man the NT in a 3-4 look with Babs and Dorsey moving to 3-4 DE ---- yes, a waste of their pressure abilities but it gives offenses a new look to deal with and lets Abe and Kroy and perhaps Avril or someone we draft get after the passer aggressively as a linebacker. Add Sylvester Williams to that 1st round DT list, but he wouldn't really provide a NT look. He's more Kevin Williams than Pat Williams, but still worth the pick depending on who else is available.

Peters was underrated and then overrated, and is now just average.

I wouldn't be shocked if we signed Dorsey AND drafted a DT in the 1st round if OSU's Johnathan Hankins or Georgia's Johnathan Jenkins were available. Babs can't play forever, and if he gets hurt we'd then only have Dorsey. Dorsey is also on a short term deal. We need a stud to groom to be our man in the middle, that is for certain. Either of those guys can also man the NT in a 3-4 look with Babs and Dorsey moving to 3-4 DE ---- yes, a waste of their pressure abilities but it gives offenses a new look to deal with and lets Abe and Kroy and perhaps Avril or someone we draft get after the passer aggressively as a linebacker.

That sounds good to me. I had Dorsey in one of my mock drafts, he just makes a lot of sense. Not a fan of Jenkins but Hankins is awesome. I don't think he falls to us though, but he'd probably be my 1st choice if he does.

If vance walker was playing full time he would make plays. Hes always producing with limited playing time, i agree we need to draft a DT but not nearly that early, the dorsey idea is a good one too.

Or perhaps he was making plays because he was rotating in and constantly fresh, and also put in for passing situations and put in a position to make plays when he was subbed in.....

Walker is a fine part of our defense, but he isn't going to be a world beater starter and he and the coaches know that.

I think people don't realize how good Peters is. He may be worth a 4th round pick, but I think is worth to this team is much more. I am a big fan of Vance Walker and love how he stepped up, but I don't think that is going to make Peters expendable at all.

Peters "value" to this team is by default and grossly overstated because we simply do not have anyone else. We've neglected the DT position for several years, and the only pick since Peria Jerry was Peters. Jerry was hurt and sucks anyway, so Peters was inserted into the starting line up. If you're on the field, you're going to make tackles, so people point at his stats and say look he's a big piece of what we do. It's just all blatantly wrong. He was exposed this year pretty badly losing his spot permanently to Peria Jerry who is just plain bad. The media has caught onto that fact after saying Peters had some potential last year (everyone apparently has potential if they are wrong and getting playing time according to the stupid media).

We are definitely adding a DT in the first 4 rounds of the draft, probably the 1st or 2nd if we can convince TG to stay one more year which now seems more and more likely and if the right DE falls to us in the 1st. And I feel like we'll be signing a low risk/high reward cheap DT in free agency that fits our scheme. Most likely Glenn Dorsey, but there's also Sedrick Ellis, Sammie Lee Hill, Terrance Knighton if he is met by a soft market, CFL star Armond Armstead, Randy Starks, or Corey Williams. Henry Melton from CHI will cost too much. Jerry will be gone, Peters will be on the bench, and Walker will still rotate in.

Or perhaps he was making plays because he was rotating in and constantly fresh, and also put in for passing situations and put in a position to make plays when he was subbed in.....

Walker is a fine part of our defense, but he isn't going to be a world beater starter and he and the coaches know that.

Peters "value" to this team is by default and grossly overstated because we simply do not have anyone else. We've neglected the DT position for several years, and the only pick since Peria Jerry was Peters. Jerry was hurt and sucks anyway, so Peters was inserted into the starting line up. If you're on the field, you're going to make tackles, so people point at his stats and say look he's a big piece of what we do. It's just all blatantly wrong. He was exposed this year pretty badly losing his spot permanently to Peria Jerry who is just plain bad. The media has caught onto that fact after saying Peters had some potential last year (everyone apparently has potential if they are wrong and getting playing time according to the stupid media).

We are definitely adding a DT in the first 4 rounds of the draft, probably the 1st or 2nd if we can convince TG to stay one more year which now seems more and more likely and if the right DE falls to us in the 1st. And I feel like we'll be signing a low risk/high reward cheap DT in free agency that fits our scheme. Most likely Glenn Dorsey, but there's also Sedrick Ellis, Sammie Lee Hill, Terrance Knighton if he is met by a soft market, CFL star Armond Armstead, Randy Starks, or Corey Williams. Henry Melton from CHI will cost too much. Jerry will be gone, Peters will be on the bench, and Walker will still rotate in.

maybe,.........all i kno is he creates pass rush much better than peters or jerry, both those players are fresh at one point in the game yet they dont make plays when they are fresh, you may be right, i bet they take a DE if one is available worthy of a first, if not DT is a deffinate possibility or TE if eiffert or ertz is still available. Ill wait till TD makes moves in free agency before i try to predict who **** go after.

Once again good call lol like I said, people don't realize how good Peters is.

Once again good call lol like I said, people don't realize how good Peters is.

What the **** are you talking about. I said Peters is bad. Fools like you think Peters is good because he starts for us. That would be like Vikings fans' thinking Tarvaris Jackson was a good QB when he started for them. We just didn't have anyone else this year. He is not good. We need to add several DT this offseason. He made a couple of plays today, but that does not overshadow a season worth of inept play.

If we can move him for a 4th I'd be all over that in a second.

For those thinking we can trade Nicholas, you're nuts. He actually has value to us, just not in coverage situations when a team is in comeback mode. He can still start in base sets, but we need a guy like Alec Ogletree, Kevin Minter, or a later guy like Kenny Tate to sub in for him in coverage. I don't think we use a 1st on either LB, although I could be wrong and would to see a career pairing of Spoon and Ogletree, but I think we use a later pick on a guy who can play right away in those sets.

Nicholas was bad today, but he shouldn't have been in that situation to begin with. TD thought he drafted a LB for those sets when he took speedster Spencer Adkins, and then again when he took speedster Robert James. Both of those guys are small but really fast linebackers who were supposed to shine in coverage. This really come back to TD's ineptitude after Round 3. And then again with Pat Schiller. He knows Nicholas should not be in those situations in coverage, but has consistently failed to remedy the situation. Hopefully he doesn't overreact and use our 1st pick on Ogletree (would be sweet though) and instead find Kenny Tate later in the draft who was a SS converted to LB at Maryland. 6'4, 220 lbs (doesn't need to bulk up if he's only playing in the passing sets), high 4.5 speed. That'll get the job done.

What the **** are you talking about. I said Peters is bad. Fools like you think Peters is good because he starts for us. That would be like Vikings fans' thinking Tarvaris Jackson was a good QB when he started for them. We just didn't have anyone else this year. He is not good. We need to add several DT this offseason. He made a couple of plays today, but that does not overshadow a season worth of inept play.

For those thinking we can trade Nicholas, you're nuts. He actually has value to us, just not in coverage situations when a team is in comeback mode. He can still start in base sets, but we need a guy like Alec Ogletree, Kevin Minter, or a later guy like Kenny Tate to sub in for him in coverage. I don't think we use a 1st on either LB, although I could be wrong and would to see a career pairing of Spoon and Ogletree, but I think we use a later pick on a guy who can play right away in those sets.

Nicholas was bad today, but he shouldn't have been in that situation to begin with. TD thought he drafted a LB for those sets when he took speedster Spencer Adkins, and then again when he took speedster Robert James. Both of those guys are small but really fast linebackers who were supposed to shine in coverage. This really come back to TD's ineptitude after Round 3. And then again with Pat Schiller. He knows Nicholas should not be in those situations in coverage, but has consistently failed to remedy the situation. Hopefully he doesn't overreact and use our 1st pick on Ogletree (would be sweet though) and instead find Kenny Tate later in the draft who was a SS converted to LB at Maryland. 6'4, 220 lbs (doesn't need to bulk up if he's only playing in the passing sets), high 4.5 speed. That'll get the job done.

i dont know much about kenny tate but, its definately someone to check out, i deffinately agree nicholas shouldnt be dropping in coverage but to suggest trading him? No way, hes pretty useful where he is he just had a bad game.

Peters is good. If you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you. Dude started off the season the PUP list. Its not like he had surgery and couldn't start the first game of the season. The dude had to miss half of the season to get healthy. And he came in yesterday and made some plays. Guy is a good DT.