What Was Up With Falcons Going 4 Quarters Without Covering The Te?

g-dawg

I did not understand this - seems like we had 11 sets of eyes on the QB but nobody had eyes on the Seahawks 2nd best receiving option in Zach Miller.

we won the game - but i thought the lack of in-game adjustments was odd for a Mike Nolan coached defense.

Miller consistently ran free through the defense the whole game.

I believe it has something to do with the assignments being placed on our linebackers to contain Wilson.

If Nolan doesn't tweak it Vernon Davis might get elected to the Hall of Fame next Monday.

I believe it has something to do with the assignments being placed on our linebackers to contain Wilson.

If Nolan doesn't tweak it Vernon Davis might get elected to the Hall of Fame next Monday.

since they took the "like" button away - i have to say "agreed" Gritz.

No worries, I have it on good authority that Mike Nolan has chunked his 2nd half game plan from yesterday into the garbage.

hope so......it almost seems like Nolan does not know how to stop this read option - so the idea is to "hang on for dear life" and hope your offense bails you out.

If the D-Line does not dominate the O-Line, makes it hard to defend a running QB.

He was covered on plays where they used 2 WRs. Otherwise, that was the poison we picked. Usually it looked like spoon was playing spy, the two other LBs appeared to be playing half zones...just too much area to be responsible for. We we appeared to be playing man on the WRs.

If there is anything I'm sure of, it is that Nolan won't show the same looks across the board.

My problem with the whole spy approach is this, some QBs are unspyable. In other words, no one man can cut off his angles given the speed of the QB. So, you basically take a defender and pull him out of the scheme leaving only 10 in the mix. Captain Nick is even faster than Wilson.

I'd just play straight zone the whole game and make them run as many plays as possible. Captain Nick is different that Wilson, he won't run if you don't pressure him. I'd rush 3 and cover with 8. I know how most of you feel about that "passive" defense, but that is the only way to have enough of the field covered imho. If you get into man and all the recievers are on one side of the formation, the QB can take it out the back door for 70 and TD before you can say "boo."

Prevent the big play.

But our LBs, mainly dent and nicholas are just not that effective in coverage due to their speed and ability in the open field. Plus they easily got sucked in on the play action and couldnt get the depth on their drops.

The TD to the TE peterson just screwed up completely and didnt pay attention to the TE coming across the zones.

Our LBs are the reason.

I'd say the main reason was they didn't think Miller could beat us.

Nolan took away Lynch for the most part.

Nolan took away big plays from the WRs

Nolan contained Wilson's rushing attack early using a mush rush and a spy.

Nolan picked his poison. He took away their fastball ( Lynch ) and dared them to beat us with the curve ( Miller ).

Nolan picked his poison. He took away their fastball ( Lynch ) and dared them to beat us with the curve ( Miller ).

Exactly.......people dont realize you rob Peter to pay Paul in the NFL ....one thing I do know, the game plan from Sunday that is now on tape will not resemble next weeks in any shape, size or form .....

^^^^^^^^^ This.

Guys to much is being made of Zach Miller's performance if you could have picked 1 guy in the Seahawks offense that you didn't mind having a big day it was Zach Miller.

If you replaced Millers yards with Lynch going for say 130 on the ground we would have got blown out.

I mean the thing that killed us if everyone is honest here it was Wilson's ability to keep the plays alive because of lack of PASS RUSH.Yes PASS RUSH PEOPLE it rared its ugly head yet again if we allow these mobile QB's this much time we will get burnt in the end and there's no scheme that will get around this fact.

Y'all must not follow the 9ers since kaepernick became starter. He does not throw to Vernon Davis much. Dealing walker gets more looks than Vernon Davis these days. I do think we will compensate for him, but we are not going to have to make sure he is doubled.

If he's wide open like Miller was he'll be throwing to him.