Kaepernick Vs Newton

vel

Why does the media keep trying to compare the two when trying to point to how we "struggle" with read option QBs? Ask RG3, Vick and Wilson how we fare against mobile QBs. There is more proof that we handled mobile QBs than there is that we didn't. Cam' 1-3 against us. Yes, Cam put up huge numbers the last time we played, but they were pissed coming into that game and we were looking past them. He had 116 yards rushing on 9 carries, but he had a 72 yard scamper. That means he had 44 yards on the other 8 carries. Doesn't look like it was a matter of pure dominance on the ground, but more like a broken play on top of solid production from a running QB (40 yards on 8 carries is average production for a running QB). That was when the Panthers were at home, playing for pride and were pissed about Ryan's "antics" while we were cruising at the moment. The first game, Cam had 86 yards on 9 carries, with a long of 32 yards. So that's 54 yards on 8 carries, again, in that average production range of around 5-7 yards per carry.

But that doesn't factor in our 60% use of the nickel defense. This defense was a top 10 unit against the run just last year when we were in our base more often than this year. Yesterday, we played our base D a lot more and shut Lynch down. It's still the same players and they can stop the run when it's the focus. Against the Niners, it's nothing but stopping the run. Kaepernick looks to Crabtree to throw and if it's not there, he runs. That's it. Play the 3 DT look with 8 in the box, man up the corners with zone/spies underneath it. Kaep is beatable. Using the game against Green Bay is a poor example as Green Bay's defense is not good and they showed just how low football IQ they have. Nobody's been that fooled by the read option as they were. Plus, there is a reason the pistol formation didn't last too long in the NFL. Same with the Wildcat.

Vel while all the comparisons are with other mobile QB's without a doubt we need pass pressure in this game.

We can't let Kaepernick stand back there like Wilson did hold the ball for 5-7 seconds and then give him the ability to run and pass I really believe we have to make him get rid of the ball.

I am hoping we gamble a bit more with the blitz this week.

Send Dunta from the edge with Corner blitz's or Spoon through the A-Gap's.

I won't lie. Watching them on Saturday reminded me of Carolina a little bit. But then the media started automatically comparing the two, so at this point I'm thinking it might be overhyped. I think we should fare well with a very disciplined spy on him. Vel, you think man is the best option with our corners? Who do you think Nolan builds the gameplan around?

Not to take anything away from him, cause that was nuts watching him run roughshod over the Pack, but it was 1 game. He's been great at times, and average at others. He's being made out to be a world beater, when he is still a young player who is learning the game, he's struggled at moments and if not for the a game against the worst defensive gameplan I've ever seen, has been largely contained in the run game.

Overall, I liked how we contained the run game from Wilson, but the secondary has to stick closer to the WRs this week. You have to be careful about running man because you're going to have a lot of backs to the qb, GB was blitzing and playing man and they got obliterated. However, I think some combo coverage with a spy I would man up the TE and zone behind, that would be the best option IMO, but our guys have to be more disciplined in their zones - too many guys catching the ball and having time to turn up field... guys need to be getting whacked as they catch the ball. I think we'll be more aggressive on d than we were this week, but whatever we do we have to take something away, GB left both doors open and Kaep destroyed them.

Edited by SwampyMux12