The Difference Replay Makes

Guest Gritz

It's amazing how much a replay can change your perception of a play or plays.

I was so pizzed at Ryan for those 2 interceptions....not so much after the plays were shown again in slo-mo.

On the first pick Ryan threw the ball to where Gonzo was supposed to be...if Gonzo had crisply finished his route instead of slowing up and rounding it out.

On the second pick Ryan threw the ball to where Roddy was going to be if he hadn't slipped/been pushed by the defender.

Now, the argument could be made that Ryan was forcing both of those balls into really tight/good coverage, but there aren't that many instances in the NFL when a receiver is wide open....many times, if not most, a QB throws a receiver open.

and please don't turn this into a Ryan sucks/Ryan is elite thread...That's not the intent here. This thread is about the difference between what you perceive in live game action opposed to what a slo-mo replay shows.

I agree Gritz. The angles shown on FOX almost make you think Matt just made a dumb move and threw the ball right to the Hawks. That of course is not the case at all. They were obviously timing routes which is our bread and butter. Its just that in both instances the ball was actually in the right place the receivers were not.

Your are certainly right about the Gonzo pick. It looked like Ryan threw it to the

defender but the replay showed Gonzo quit on the route and that was clear as

day. On the other White had great position for a back shoulder throw but the defenders

had deep position on him. It could have been pass interference possibly but that one

was imo just like it looked on t.v. a careless throw at a critical time in the game. That

is part of the package when you throw the deep ball as a staple of your offense.

The hail Mary interception by Julio looked routine but these still shots showed how

high he got up and that there was a receiver behind him. I am pleased to move on!

Edited by LADBABY

I was so pizzed at Ryan for those 2 interceptions....not so much after the plays were shown again in slo-mo.

Happens all the time. I don't even feel comfortable talking about certain plays I see live; not until I've had a chance to review the video at home.

on the first one, I dont think Gonzalez was on the same page as Ryan. I think Ryan expected gonzo to cut in sooner but I dont think gonzo realised they were blitzing.

the 2nd one was fair, imho. just a bad decision trying to get something going.

only problem i had on the second pick was that he threw it at all, there was also some really bad clock management. Falcons were snapping the ball with 10 to 11 seconds on the play clock. up by two scores, 8 minutes left, no way they shouldn't be able to run 5 or 6 minutes off the clock. run on 1st and second downs, only throwing on third downs, and snapping the ball with 2 seconds showing.

Your are certainly right about the Gonzo pick. It looked like Ryan threw it to the

defender but the replay showed Gonzo quit on the route and that was clear as

day. On the other White had great position for a back shoulder throw but the defenders

had deep position on him. It could have been pass interference possibly but that one

was imo just like it looked on t.v. a careless throw at a critical time in the game. That

is part of the package when you throw the deep ball as a staple of your offense.

The hail Mary interception by Julio looked routine but these still shots showed how

high he got up and that there was a receiver behind him. I am pleased to move on!

I noticed that on the Julio Hail Mary pick.

On the first pick Ryan threw the ball to where Gonzo was supposed to be...if Gonzo had crisply finished his route instead of slowing up and rounding it out.

On the second pick Ryan threw the ball to where Roddy was going to be if he hadn't slipped/been pushed by the defender.

Now, the argument could be made that Ryan was forcing both of those balls into really tight/good coverage, but there aren't that many instances in the NFL when a receiver is wide open....many times, if not most, a QB throws a receiver open.

and please don't turn this into a Ryan sucks/Ryan is elite thread...That's not the intent here. This thread is about the difference between what you perceive in live game action opposed to what a slo-mo replay shows.

Unless you play against the Atlanta Falcons...

Great point. It's funny how I'm at the game and I'm like WTF was that then I get home and see the slo mo and have a completely different understanding of what happened.

Yeah, Jones played 'receiver' eyeball from the start and that's why he just predicted where their WRs were heading and positioning where the ball was heading first. JUMP high point, catch OR completely knock down.

WR = Hands for a reason.

The Ryan INTs weren't blatant bad throws.

Ryan's BAD throws today were the 3 to Roddy(first drive late pass in the endzone/not enough zip, perhaps misjudging Sherman's size, later the 2 we needed to complete to Roddy when the D went sour in the 2nd half).

Otherwise, Sherman's size was hard to get over, Atlanta could have connected more but it was great to take shots over the top of Sherman. Just gotta get that back-shoulder fade a bit more to the sideline without being able to be PDed.

On the second INT it seems didn't account for the safety. Also a long time consuming drive was what was needed

at that point.

On the other side of the ball, when I watched Turbin take the short pass 30 yds, I didn't notice the first time Cliff Matthews getting mugged

by the O-lineman. How could the ref not see that? That would have been a felony on the streets.

The reason I believe the 2nd int was a PI, was because Trufant actually posted Roddy up like a basketball rebound, only right at the end did he even reach his arms up to make an attempt at the ball,Thomas was already catching the ball when Trufant made his so-called attempt at the ball, never turning around, maybe Matt believed he could get a PI called, but he never should have thrown the ball

You have to be the most respected intellectual on this board. Great point.

Guest Negatorris

+1

Yeah Tony stopped like on the first int. If I remember correctly, HD or roddy was wide open about 5 to 10 yards in front of Gonzalez, which was enough for a first down. The second pick was just bad, probably could have went somewhere else with it. I'm sure he didn't know Earl would get there so fast.

Yeah Tony stopped like on the first int. If I remember correctly, HD or roddy was wide open about 5 to 10 yards in front of Gonzalez, which was enough for a first down. The second pick was just bad, probably could have went somewhere else with it. I'm sure he didn't know Earl would get there so fast.

HD was running a deep route just to left of the right seam. RW runs the underneath route, but their is a LB sitting in zone to MR left.

Two free rushers are coming from MR's right side and Quizz hustles and picks up the closer threat. It was JJ that had man 2 man coverage on

the outside. Baker did a great job of blocking the RDE and there is a great throwing lane for MR to get the ball to JJ. Tony caused the int, but

MR had a better option from my view...JJ