The Falcons Should Have Went For 2 Up 26-7

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

Go for it and fail and you lead by 19. 19pts = 2TDs (2pts) and a FG. Make the Xtra Pt and you're up by 20 (Opposition needs 3 TDs) Only hindsight can have us thinking that we'd be 28-27 down. Also hindsight tells us that if we did fail with the 2pt conversion, then after their 4th TD they'd be up by 1 after instead of level (27-27) and they'd go for 2 and if they make it the score would have been 29-26, then the FG at the end would be to take the game to OT.

"YES" the book says you go for 2 in that situation. It was not the 4th quarter but it was close enough. We lose nothing if we don't get the two pointer. On top of that, Falcon got two offsides calls so the ball would have been on the 1/2 yard line if we would have accepted both.

No reason not to go for two there - this was a coaching failure and unforced mistake by Mike Smith - just like the squib kick communication (or lack thereof).

Not a coach in the league would have gone for two in that situation, with the possible exception of Pete Carroll, and we all know where his instincts lead him.

Respectfully disagree Joe. 17 minutes left in the game. You have to go for it there to be up 3 touchdowns. If it was 1st half or maybe 5 minutes into 2nd half I would agree.

It was an unforced error for Mike Smith not to go for it there. I think 80% of NFL head coaches would have gone for two there.

Guest Negatorris

No, 27-7 going into 4th qtr should have been an unsurmountable lead.

This. You'd never think Nolan's D would give up 21 points.

I'm sure Smitty will think about it next time that happens, just in case.

No.

Go for it and fail and you lead by 19. 19pts = 2TDs (2pts) and a FG. Make the Xtra Pt and you're up by 20 (Opposition needs 3 TDs) Only hindsight can have us thinking that we'd be 28-27 down. Also hindsight tells us that if we did fail with the 2pt conversion, then after their 4th TD they'd be up by 1 after instead of level (27-27) and they'd go for 2 and if they make it the score would have been 29-26, then the FG at the end would be to take the game to OT.

i think you need to re-take algebra. the odds of it playing out as you have above are not great and the odds are Seahawks would not convert two 2-point conversions - they probably don't even try if the TDs are scored first.

If Falcons would have gone for it and not made it, they would have been up 19 (26-7).

They would have then been losing as game played out (28-26)

The field goal still wins the game for Falcons (29-28).

You are talking out of your hat.....

there was "nothing to lose" and "everything to gain" by going for two there. I'm sure Smitty felt secure with a 20 point lead but it was an unforced error on his part. It was all about points/possesions with 17 minutes left in the game when Falcons scored.

Smith screwed this one up - he was wrong.

This. You'd never think Nolan's D would give up 21 points.

I'm sure Smitty will think about it next time that happens, just in case.

your point above is irrelevant. it does not matter that you "think" your defense would not give up 21 points in the 4th quarter.

The situation dictated going for two....period.

Can't believe it took that long to get a YES. The easy answer is YES. Once again it's simple math. Has nothing to do whether or not you believe the other team will come back.

Agreed - this is not even an argument to take the other side. Its a NON-EMOTIONAL call. You go for two there - EVERY TIME - at that point in the game.

I'm not 2nd guessing for the sake of it - the book says you go for it there at that point in the game.

No and always no.

Thinking like this is why Pete Carroll is kicking himself in the butt for not taking the fg.

If you're saying no then you're saying no to math. I didn't create math.

And once again people score has nothing to do with it! If the score was 26-21 when we score that TD we would have went for 2.

I've never been a Mike Smith hater, but it's starting to become very obvious that when a decision is put on his plate he continues to make the wrong ones. It's concerning but at the same time 2 more wins and it won't mean anything.

Edited by JBourneMurkedU

No. 27-7? You kidding me. The coach should be thinking of scoring more points and not give up any more points. There is no excuse for giving up 21 points in the 4th qtr by defense. SEA is in record books for coming back from that big deficit because it just doesn't happen. Mike Nolan must have been shocked the way 4th qtr went.

Up 26-21 at the 9:13 mark of the 4th, the team could have lost to a pair of FG.

That's why you take the single point in the 3rd quarter... to restore the 20 point margin.

Seahawks were not kicking fieldgoals down 20 points with 17 minutes left. They would have been going for TDs and going for it on 4th down.

its situational football. this is really simple - don't know why you guys don't get it.

You are forgetting, with 17 minutes left in the game, the best the Seahawks were going to do was get three more possessions - so they HAD to go for TDs every time they had the ball.