John Abraham Vows To Play Against Farty-Niners

Atlanta Falcons defensive end John Abraham re-injured his left ankle Sunday, missing the second half as the Seahawks rallied to erase a 20-point deficit, but said he'll be back for the NFC Championship Game.

NFC South blog

yasinskas_pat_m.jpgESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas writes about all things NFC South in his division blog.

Blog network: NFL Nation

"Oh yeah, you know me, you can't keep me out of that game," Abraham, who led the Falcons with 10 sacks this season, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "We're going to treat the (heck) out of it."

The Falcons will host the San Francisco 49ersnext Sunday with the winner advancing to the Super Bowl against either the New England Patriots or Baltimore Ravens.

Abraham, who originally sprained the ankle in Week 17, aggravated his injury in the second quarter.

"After awhile, I just couldn't push off of it anymore," he told the newspaper.

The Falcons led 20-0 at halftime and 27-7 entering the fourth quarter only to squander the lead and escaped with a 30-28 victory thanks to Matt Bryant's 49-yard field goal with eight seconds remaining.

The 34-year-old Abraham has 122 sacks in his 13-season career.

I was suprised they didn't tape his ankle up more.... but hopefully them having him not push it will help this Sunday.

^It's probably the nature of his position on defense. Otherwise, a DT would've had uber taping. This probably allowed the ankle to swell by using the muscle too vigorously instead of restrained by restriction.

Don't get me started on this.......there was no way Abe was even close to 100% - two weeks off an ankle sprain - even a low ankle sprain (which must have been the case as high ankle sprain and he's not even playing).

Mike Smith's boneheaded moves in Week#17 by playing Abe in the game almost cost us this week. A healthy Abe would likely have disrupted Russell Wilson a lot more and disrupted the flow of that offense in the 21 point 4th quarter - Abraham lives for closing teams out in 4th quarters with game-killing sacks against the opponent.

get this man some tape, a brace and a shot.....then let him lose of Kaepernick.

IMO, it is no coincidence that WIlson got time to throw all over us once Abe was on the sidelines.

CERTAINLY not a coincidence...... The difference between what Wilson could do while Abe was on the field vs. what he was able to do after Abe came off was night and day...... With yet another mobile QB coming in next week, it will again be imperative that we have our best speed rusher ready to roll.....

Mike Smith's boneheaded moves in Week#17 by playing Abe in the game almost cost us this week. A healthy Abe would likely have disrupted Russell Wilson a lot more and disrupted the flow of that offense in the 21 point 4th quarter - Abraham lives for closing teams out in 4th quarters with game-killing sacks against the opponent.

It appeared pretty obvious to me that our D-Line was intentionally not trying to get much push.. they were more setting the pocket and trying to contain Wilson.

Guest Negatorris

Hopefully when he can make an impact and avoid re injuring himself in a Falcons win. Then he'll have two weeks of rest before the Superbowl.

Atlanta needs improved play/personnel/player upgrade at LB. Spoon can't cover for Nicholas, or DeCoud/Moore when they get caught out of position.

Atlanta asked a lot out of DeCoud and Moore today. Nicholas was the biggest weakness at times, but it's all correctable stuff. Playing WAY to flippin' stiff once they went into pass on your zone breakdowns for 3 or 4 drives in a row.

They were scoring at will. Atlanta's offense couldn't flip an insano switch like that. Defense knows it nearly ruined the game.

Thing is, the DL wasn't good enough to TRY to pressure Russell for fear of containment loss. AND when the Seahawks run 4 guys vertical? Wide open space to run.

^It's called being real. Nolan is working with what Atlanta has. Period.

Don't get me started on this.......there was no way Abe was even close to 100% - two weeks off an ankle sprain - even a low ankle sprain (which must have been the case as high ankle sprain and he's not even playing).

Completely agree. Abe easily would have sacked Wilson multiple times on the last couple of drives.

It appeared pretty obvious to me that our D-Line was intentionally not trying to get much push.. they were more setting the pocket and trying to contain Wilson.

This is what I saw. Very few stunts, few blitzes. They were basically playing a 4-man straight bull rush "two-gap" defense. Maintaining BOTH gaps was more important than getting to the QB.

Abe still would've made a difference, but our goal was not to sack Wilson so much as contain him.