So Pumped We Won, But Mike Smiths A Bonehead!

matty72780

Seeing Mike Smith sprinting down the sideline to call a timeout knowing we were gonna kick a field goal was amazing; BUT why would you call that timeout with 12 seconds as opposed to call it with 3 seconds on the clock? Then to top it off he calls an onside kick with 8 seconds left, and Seattle only being down by 2 points!? My head almost exploded when I saw that. Good win though boys!!!! Bring on SF!

He called it to give them time to decide if they needed to run another play. I don't think he automatically knew they were going to attempt a FG when he called TO. Also, with the extra time if they botched the snap, they would have time to spike the ball and try again.

Agreed. In hindsight, should have known before the play, but I was calling TO too.

He said there was a miscommunication with the kicker on the kick-off. Wow, Bosher was out of his mind for a minute.

Seeing Mike Smith sprinting down the sideline to call a timeout knowing we were gonna kick a field goal was amazing; BUT why would you call that timeout with 12 seconds as opposed to call it with 3 seconds on the clock? Then to top it off he calls an onside kick with 8 seconds left, and Seattle only being down by 2 points!? My head almost exploded when I saw that. Good win though boys!!!! Bring on SF!

It's the right call every time. There's a reason he's the most winning coach in Falcons history and you sit at home and second guess his moves/decisions on Sunday and Monday.

Also, I'm not sure that was supposed to be an onside kick. I'm pretty sure it was a poorly executed squib kick.

It wasn't executed properly, Mike Smith said as much in a quick statement in his press conference. That was also the right call had it not gone directly at the Seahawks player. Footballs have a weird shape to them that by design gives you plays like that every now and then. laugh.png

It's the right call every time. There's a reason he's the most winning coach in Falcons history and you sit at home and second guess his moves/decisions on Sunday and Monday.

So your saying that mike smith doesn't make boneheaded mistakes year in and year out? Throwing challenge flags on automatically reviewed plays. Horrible clock management, going for 4th downs in our own territory, etc.... Last I checked its the players that play/win the game and its the coordinators that call the plays; hence smith having such a good record. I like Smitty but if you think calling a timeout and then an onsides kick was the correct call you're a bonehead too.

Smith coaches. Players execute. Smith is the winningest coach on Falcons history. PERIOD!!!

Exactly. I agree with you 100%. Smith coaches TIGHT in the playoffs. I don't think a player called timeout with 14 sec left in the game. Players didn't call for onsiides kick. Players didn't decide to start running out the clock and almost cost the team

Edited by Insane Asylum

So your saying that mike smith doesn't make boneheaded mistakes year in and year out? Throwing challenge flags on automatically reviewed plays. Horrible clock management, going for 4th downs in our own territory, etc.... Last I checked its the players that play/win the game and its the coordinators that call the plays; hence smith having such a good record. I like Smitty but if you think calling a timeout and then an onsides kick was the correct call you're a bonehead too.

Every coach makes "boneheaded" calls. Pete Carrol is sitting at home next week because of several of them. It's really easy after a game to play the shoulda' couda' game, but I think Mike Smith's record speaks for itself and grants him the benefit of the doubt.

You are right none of us have the credentials to seriously question Smith. Good thing there are plenty of people on tv and the radio who do have those credentials who are questioning the **** out of Smith right now.

Exactly. I agree with you 100%. Smith coaches TIGHT in the playoffs. I don't think a player called timeout with 14 sec left in the game. Players didn't call for onsiides kick. Players didn't decide to start running out the clock and almost cost the team

Remember that was a first down play --you keep the time

if it had been a 4th down then you might run the clock down

if you get a holding call etc you still have time for a 2nd down kick.

if you have a muffed snap you still have time for a 2nd down kick

Edited by delaigle

It wasn't a "onside" kick, it was just ANOTHER HORRIBLE KICK by Bosher, who was terrible all day. It was supposed to be a squib kick, just like his last two punts weren't supposed to be dying ducks that gave SEA the ball at their 30-40. Hopefully he got the jitters out of his system.

As for Smith, it's important to recall this was a game where Seattle blew a chance to score at the end of the first half when the 11 seconds ran off the clock between the end of one play and the snap of the last play. Yes, it would have been better to let it run down to 3 seconds. It was a poor decision. Carroll's clock mgt at the end of the 1st was game-losing. There is a difference.

You are right none of us have the credentials to seriously question Smith. Good thing there are plenty of people on tv and the radio who do have those credentials who are questioning the **** out of Smith right now.

I agree. People get so defensive and think I'm bashing Smitty. He's a great coach and he's done a lot for this franchise but any person that knows the game of football will know that Smitty makes some bonehead calls at the most pivotal moments. Lets use week 16 for example. WTF did you have John Abraham in the game as the 4th Q was winding down? Yesterday's calls between the 13 second timeout and the onside kick where just ridiculous. These players play their heart out and they deserve a head coach that doesn't make these mistakes that coulda potentially thrown away all their hard work. All I'm saying is tighten up Smitty. It only gets harder from here. GO FALCONS!!!!

Better to call it then to wit and not get lined up in time and lose. It WASN"T an onside kick it was a really bad squib kick

All this hate for Mike Smith is really beyond me. The Monday morning GM's of this board that analyze every single call he makes and decides to call him a bonehead, or that we need to fire him.. SMDH. That's just asinine. He's the best coach the Falcons have ever had, and there is absolutely no other coach that I would rather have.

1) 13 seconds left, timeout is the right call. It was a 47ish yard try from that spot.. still debatable on another quick pass to the sideline or a kick.. timeout gives you the chance to decide that without killing the clock.

2) The squib (not squid) kick was just a horrible kick. It again, was the right call, just poorly executed.

Get over it guys, Mike Smith is our coach and, baring some super disaster, will be our coach for years to come.