Sf Vs Atl Matchup

Trufant Island

When they have the ball:

RUN:

We just showed we can stop a running game that is very similar to SF's.

If we can stop Lynch, we can stop Gore. We just held Lynch to 46 yards on 16 carries. 2.9 ypc. I believe we can contain Gore the same way.

Kaepernick is very similar to Wilson and we have spent the last 2 weeks preparing for the read option and have done a solid job stopping it. We can improve in the way we stopped Wilson from running, but overall we did a solid job of this and we will definitely not let Kaepernick run wild like GB did.

PASS:

Through the air, SF is much less intimidating than seattle was. Against GB, Crabtree had 9 catches for 119 and 2 TD's. No other WR had more than 2 catches. If we cover Crabtree, we slow them down significantly. Davis is huge and presents another challenge like Miller did. I believe Spoon and WillyMo can contain him as well.

Overall I believe we can shut this offense down. We have proven we stop the run and the SF passing game isnt as balanced as seattles was. We can handle these guys.

When we have the ball:

RUN:

Regular season statistics aside, we can run the ball on these guys. Again, this team is very similar to seattle. GB ran for over 100 yards against these guys and we can do the same. If we provide balance to our offense, it will be huge. Turner and Quizz both looked real good vs SEA and there is no reason to believe they wont be vs SF

PASS:

SF relies on pressure on D to hold off passing attacks. If we can get the ball out quick (Ex: screen passes, slant routes, passes to Tony G) we will have success. Minus 2 INTs and a couple drives near the end, we just had a great showing through the air against a top ranked pass D that provided "terrible matchups" for our WR's. I dont see them having any answers for Roddy and Julio, let alone Tony or HD. As long as we have time to throw, we will move the ball through the air.

I realize Im ignoring special teams, but I havent seen enough SF games to judge their special teams play. From what I have seen, it seems like theyare pretty similar to us. Akers had a slump, but seems to have worked through it. Return games seem pretty equal. Quizz and LaMichael James are both dangerous on kickoffs.

Thoughts?

Edited by Cole World

Kap is a more aggressive runner than Wilson. I agree about slowing down gore but Kap will be the biggest threat. The boy runs harder and faster than any qb in the game except RG3. If we keep him contained and force him to beat us through the air, we should be okay. Crabtree can be contained but I'm sure they will notice on film how vulnerable we are to tight ends and will have a heavy dose of Davis next week

^Lead blocker Mike Cox any this week? They have a 3-4 D with 2 TACKLE MACHINE INTERIOR LBS. Decent olb, especially the 20 sack kid on pass rush.

Gotta get blockers on those guys and stay on them without committing penalties.

Sound technique, good run blocking schemes AND protection schemes next week. Very key.

Atlanta 'tends' to play 3-4 defenses well, IIRC.

Which 3-4 teams have we played this year though? I may be thinking of previous years, which all bets off there with system changes. However, personnel is used to it.

Guest Negatorris

I think we have to focus on stopping Kaep. Gore is a great RB, but he isn't Marshawn Lynch. We sold out on stopping Lynch in the game against the Seahawks, and once the Hawks figured that out they started exposing our secondary in the second half. The defense will need to do what they did in the first half of the season. They allowed RBs to get their yards, but they shut down the passing games for most offense. We need turnovers, and containment of CK. Nolan was trying to stop the RB yesterday, but I think he has to stop the QB on Sunday. I can't say I have confidence in our defense right now. I think the offense will do well though.

Also:

6. What does history say about the top-seeded Falcons' chances? History supports the Falcons now that they have won their first playoff game in the Smith-Ryan era. The last time an NFC No. 1 seed lost a championship game on home turf was the Philadelphia Eagles, who did it in 2002 and 2003. Since then, the past four No. 1 seeds hosting the NFC title game were victorious: the 2004 Eagles, 2005 Seahawks, 2006Chicago Bears and 2009 New Orleans Saints. Like the Falcons, each of those four teams had 13-3 records. In three of those four cases, those No. 1 seeds beat No. 2 seeds.

While it think the OP is making a good point, our MAIN match up is going to happen in the trenches.

Our O-line vs. their D-line in particular. If we can prevent constant pressure on Ryan, we got this.

Also ABE55 is going to be key, I hope he's ready!

The D line done really well keeping Wilson inside the pocket, trouble was the kid could throw. Kap isn't as good of a passer so I expect the D line to play like they did yesterday and see if he can beat us with his arm and I don't think he can. Gap control and contain on the back end of the read option/bootlegs and we got this!

Watching the packers they were awful on the back end not keeping Kap in between the tackles and going man

I think we have to focus on stopping Kaep. Gore is a great RB, but he isn't Marshawn Lynch. We sold out on stopping Lynch in the game against the Seahawks, and once the Hawks figured that out they started exposing our secondary in the second half. The defense will need to do what they did in the first half of the season. They allowed RBs to get their yards, but they shut down the passing games for most offense. We need turnovers, and containment of CK. Nolan was trying to stop the RB yesterday, but I think he has to stop the QB on Sunday. I can't say I have confidence in our defense right now. I think the offense will do well though.

Also:

6. What does history say about the top-seeded Falcons' chances? History supports the Falcons now that they have won their first playoff game in the Smith-Ryan era. The last time an NFC No. 1 seed lost a championship game on home turf was the Philadelphia Eagles, who did it in 2002 and 2003. Since then, the past four No. 1 seeds hosting the NFC title game were victorious: the 2004 Eagles, 2005 Seahawks, 2006Chicago Bears and 2009 New Orleans Saints. Like the Falcons, each of those four teams had 13-3 records. In three of those four cases, those No. 1 seeds beat No. 2 seeds.

I went to Like this, because of the quoted part, but I couldn't. I think what we can learn from this past week is that shutting down the running back can lead to shutting down the running QB. Wilson never kept the ball himself yesterday on the option plays. I think we have a better chance if the game is more contingent upon Kaep's arms than his legs.

Yes, vs. their 3 man DL looks + a LB will be important.

Heck, entire protection and blocking scheme for pass/run is important.

Nolan's game-plan WORKED. Seahawks STRUGGLED to get pressure all day, consistently. Just there, but solid. A bit better execution from Ryan today and it's 35 points on offense at least.

PS: Early game favorites on SB picks.

http://www.cbssports...erbowl/insights

Their DBs are tiny, but I'm worried about Ryan under pressure. He can, for the most part, make good throws when he has time...without it, he's pretty helpless.

Hoping they blitz a bunch. It's their front four that worry me, but blitzing us gives Ryan the advantage.

I wish Ryan could throw like Rodgers under pressure against SF. But, Rodgers completed just 2 passes out of 13 drop backs he was pressured. Its hard for a QB to do anything with pressure. OL needs to do its job against tough SF DL or this game will get ugly. Eli didn't do a jack in last years NFCG but the defense and ST bailed out Giants. SF DL is probably next only to DEN in terms of sacks and QB pressure.