Botched Pi Call :/

lju713

Just finished rewatching the game for the millionith time. It is a crime that Trufant wasnt flagged. He boxed Roddy out like a PF. Ive seen Matt recognize that in plenty games and we get that call. But hey we overcame it and NFCCG here we come.

I've only watched it once, but I don't think it's Pass interference, Trufant was in better Position and was running in front of Roddy. I don't think there's a rule against a DB slowing up if it looks like he's positioning himself to make the catch. If Roddy had run through him, it would have been Offensive PI on Roddy, which he probably should have, that would have been better than giving up the pick.

Matty should have never thrown it, The only reason I think it was a flag, was because Trufant actually positioned himself like a basketball rebound, if he would have lifted his arms as if to intercept it,I'd say good defensive play, but in my opinion, he actually impeded Roddy & allowed Thomas to intercept it. In the end though, Matt can't take chances like that, the momentum was changing then, & a sustained drive would have been what we needed right then.

It looked like a PI when I was 1st watching and going back an reviewing the play it still looks like PI to me. I see that he had his eyes on the ball but he wasn't making a play on the ball just boxing Roddy out. If Roddy could have gone up to get the ball Earl Thomas would have had to make a heck of a play to get the INT

I've only watched it once, but I don't think it's Pass interference, Trufant was in better Position and was running in front of Roddy. I don't think there's a rule against a DB slowing up if it looks like he's positioning himself to make the catch. If Roddy had run through him, it would have been Offensive PI on Roddy, which he probably should have, that would have been better than giving up the pick.

The problem is, the defender cannot position himself unless he is playing the ball. Trufant was not. Had Roddy run through him, it would not have been offensive pass interference, because Roddy would not have been using an illegal move to make a play.

I don't know if Roddy would've reached that ball even without being impeded, it was an error in judgement by Ryan. We were running the ball real effectively and Turner picked up a 12 yard first down on that drive, I didn't understand the playcalling... reverse to Julio, toss sweep to Quizz. It would've been better to utilize the short passing game and Turner for clock purposes.

Matt should have just never thrown that ball. Single coverage - give it a go. The help was there over top and that was never going to work, and the Falcons were never going to get that call.

Yep, and if Matt threw the pass in attempt to draw attention to the contact, like some have hypothesized, he should have thrown the ball out of bounds. Regardless, I don't think Ryan saw Thomas over the top.