Smitty Ball Rears Its Ugly Head

Steampunk

The team was loose, executing and there was a flow to the first half that

I dont think many saw coming. We were dominating in all phases and made some off the chart plays that a playoff team needs to make to be successful.

Then came the second half where I think Smitty got involved , pulled in the reins and tried to ride it out playing "safe football"...I could see it coming,

the play calling changed on both sides of the ball and we all know what happened next. Yes we won and yes I am happy about that but this style

of game management has got to change.

Why will our head coach not pour on the throttle and step on a teams throat ??? Seattle was demoralised, tired and beat up and we go into a shell

and let them back into a game that by all rights if not for a heroic comeback we should have lost.

Smith was red faced in his presser and I believe he knows what he did, that

he played chicken s*** ball and we are lucky to be playing next week. IMO

the man needs wake the **** up and when your team gets on a roll like we did keep pouring it on for 60 MINUTES. We have as good a shot at a Lombardi as this team has ever had and coaching scared is not what we need to have going forward, I dont know how many S. Bowls have been won playing safe but I would bet its not many.

My opinion so whatever , flame away if you disagree

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think many saw coming. We were dominating in all phases and made some off the chart plays that a playoff team needs to make to be successful.

Then came the second half where I think Smitty got involved , pulled in the reins and tried to ride it out playing "safe football"...I could see it coming,

the play calling changed on both sides of the ball and we all know what happened next. Yes we won and yes I am happy about that but this style

Why will our head coach not pour on the throttle and step on a teams throat ??? Seattle was demoralised, tired and beat up and we go into a shell

and let them back into a game that by all rights if not for a heroic comeback we should have lost.

the man needs wake the **** up and when your team gets on a roll like we did keep pouring it on for 60 MINUTES. We have as good a shot at a Lombardi as this team has ever had and coaching scared is not what we need to have going forward, I dont know how many S. Bowls have been won playing safe but I would bet its not many.

Should have never taken the foot off the gas, but a win is a win!

Coordinators call the play. Seattle also moved the ball in the first half. Falcons D just happen to make plays in the first half when they had to. They didn't in the second half. Anytime you put up 27 pts on a team that gave up around 15 pts per game then the offense did it job. It's not Mike Smith fault that the defense can't hold a 20 points lead. Besides, did I already said the Coords are the one who calling the plays?

Completely agree, it's been happening for years now. You could see "the change" kick in with about 5 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter. There is a difference between playing safe, grinding it out (which is a good plan in certain circumstances) and playing phucking scared which is what Smitty Ball has come to mean.

You're shortchanging what Seattle did. I didn't see any reigns being pulled in.

Seattle started getting stops on Atlanta. The defense stopped wrapping up tackles, going for big hits, letting those chunk plays Seattle was getting even worse. And make no mistake they were getting those chunk plays in the first half too. Seattle moved the ball the whole game, the defense just bowed up in the first half.

When they tried to start turning up the rush and let the ends get off the ball, Seattle's line just was plain better. When there was pressure, Wilson escaped.

When Nolan blitzes towards the end on that 3rd and 5, Wilson escaped Weatherspoon, got the ball to Lynch to ran it to the 4.

Seattle was **** good today.

Anytime the Falcons win a close game I see people complain about Smithyball. Beside the last 2 plays of the game Seattle scored 4 TD in 5 2nd half possessions. Do you guys think the game would have been as close if the defense could have done just a bit better at said holding to them to FG some of the time? Falcons also passed more than ran, especially in the second half, but yet somehow that's being conservative.

This is not just a rare occurrence. It happens every single time this team gets a lead, be it a big lead, comfortable lead or small lead. Suddenly the defense can't stop the other team and the Falcons offense goes from rolling up and down the field making 10 to 15 yards a play to running the ball for one or two yards and throwing 1-yard screen passes. If that's all on the coordinators then they need to be replaced. If it's on Smith he needs to wake the eff up and see the stupidity of going into a shell or he needs to be replaced. If it's on the players then it's still on the coaches because they're not keeping the players focused and playing all out to win. To me if it looks like Smittyball, stinks like Smittyball and fails like Smittyball, then it's Smittyball. You can stick your head in the sand if you want, but there is something terribly wrong when a team that out-scored their opponent by 20 points in the first half can only score 10 points and gives up 28 points in the second half. That just isn't the way a championship team handles its business. That can't keep happening if this team is ever going to win a Super Bowl. We play this way next week we're going to get torched.

I was in such disbelief as I watched the Seahawks come back from a 20 point deficit. Ryan threw a UGLY pick up 27-7 or 27-14 (can't remember) to Earl Thomas and apparently Trufant was tripping or something? Dunno somebody said that. You don't get style points in the playoffs, so a win is a win and that's what matters, but good lord this should not have been as close as it was.

I mean I really can't find the words for it... it was just astonishing. I was watching the Falcons CHOKE drive after drive and let the Seahawks go right down the field... I really wish prevent defense was illegal unless it's a hail mary...like literally I wish it was a flaggable formation. It's so horrible. No pass rush, secondary can't cover all day, and good god could anyone cover Zach Miller today?

I was in such disbelief as I watched the Seahawks come back from a 20 point deficit. Ryan threw a UGLY pick up 27-7 or 27-14 (can't remember) to Earl Thomas and apparently Trufant was tripping or something? Dunno somebody said that. You don't get style points in the playoffs, so a win is a win and that's what matters, but good lord this should not have been as close as it was.

I mean I really can't find the words for it... it was just astonishing. I was watching the Falcons CHOKE drive after drive and let the Seahawks go right down the field... I really wish prevent defense was illegal unless it's a hail mary...like literally I wish it was a flaggable formation. It's so horrible. No pass rush, secondary can't cover all day, and good god could anyone cover Zach Miller today?

My question is did anybody try to cover Miller today? This defense completely went to chit and I have to lay a good deal of the blame on Nolan. Where the eff were the half-time adjustments? This performance was a steaming pile from about every standpoint defensively.

This is not just a rare occurrence. It happens every single time this team gets a lead, be it a big lead, comfortable lead or small lead. Suddenly the defense can't stop the other team and the Falcons offense goes from rolling up and down the field making 10 to 15 yards a play to running the ball for one or two yards and throwing 1-yard screen passes. If that's all on the coordinators then they need to be replaced. If it's on Smith he needs to wake the eff up and see the stupidity of going into a shell or he needs to be replaced. If it's on the players then it's still on the coaches because they're not keeping the players focused and playing all out to win. To me if it looks like Smittyball, stinks like Smittyball and fails like Smittyball, then it's Smittyball. You can stick your head in the sand if you want, but there is something terribly wrong when a team that out-scored their opponent by 20 points in the first half can only score 10 points and gives up 28 points in the second half. That just isn't the way a championship team handles its business. That can't keep happening if this team is ever going to win a Super Bowl. We play this way next week we're going to get torched.

It's funny because Sea also scored 24 unanswered points against Was last week. Must have been Shanahanballs then. Seriously, give credit where it is due. Maybe, just maybe Seattle is a good team that had a lot of fight in them. I mean they did blow out the Niners, abide at home.

Seattle started getting stops on Atlanta. The defense stopped wrapping up tackles, going for big hits, letting those chunk plays Seattle was getting even worse. And make no mistake they were getting those chunk plays in the first half too. Seattle moved the ball the whole game, the defense just bowed up in the first half.

When they tried to start turning up the rush and let the ends get off the ball, Seattle's line just was plain better. When there was pressure, Wilson escaped.

When Nolan blitzes towards the end on that 3rd and 5, Wilson escaped Weatherspoon, got the ball to Lynch to ran it to the 4.

Thanks for bringing a little sanity and insight to this boards single most tired and misguided thread subject.

My question is did anybody try to cover Miller today? This defense completely went to chit and I have to lay a good deal of the blame on Nolan. Where the eff were the half-time adjustments? This performance was a steaming pile from about every standpoint defensively.

Well, hats off to the Hawks. They didn't quit and made a helluva game out of it. But I agree on principal, Steve. What Miller did to us today was crazy,...just crazy! I was screaming; "Triple team that S.O.B.!"

Ok, some agree, some disagree. Thats what a democracy is all about.

All I want is to step on someones throat when we are up 3 touchdowns so I dont have

to wait for the heart stopping comeback to pull the game out of our azz the last second.

Other than the Giants beatdown most of our games follow this disturbing pattern. Most teams in the NFL will have a big comeback or two in a season, with us it seems like its every 2nd game or more.

Hopefully we can somehow take the 49ers down a notch and boot them out next sunday.

By then I am sure I will have had enough of everyone hanging on San Frans nuts and talking

how we barely scraped by and dont think we deserve to be here, we got lucky.

Smitty ball is not why the defense got throttled for 2 quarters to end the game.

Offense can't fart or they go smittyball and are blamed for defensive collapse.

The INT Ryan made, while badly timed, was also not obviously 'Smitty ball'.

Sometimes, the other GOOD team makes a play.

Like, our defense failing to do so most of the 2nd half.

GREAT GAME PLAN AND COACHING OVERALL!

FALCONS WON THIS GAME BECAUSE OF COACHING!

Period.