Talk About Clutch Plays, Tony G And Matty Ice Played Lights Out In Clutch Situations

gazoo

Great players make great plays with the game on the line. Great teams find a way to win. Both Tony G and Matt Ryan really made it happen in the clutch.

Tony G

Gonzo's stats of 6 catches for 51 yards and 1 TD seem pretty good, but these catches were game changers.

• 3rd and 5 - Gonzo catches a 6 yard pass for 1st down
  • 3rd and 9- Gonzo catches 11 yard pass for 1st down with a tips of his fingers grab keeping drive alive
  • 1st and Goal- Gonzo makes an incredible TD pass by somehow keeping both feet on bounds
  • And Gonzos longest catch of the day? His CLUTCH 19 yard catch that put us in position to kick a game winning FG

Matt Ryan

All Matty Ice did was put up 30 points against the NFLs #1 defense in least points scored at 15.3 per game. Our offense scored TWICE as many points as the Seahawks gave up per game and this is a BIG DEAL. We beat a very good team today, and I don't care if it was ugly, good teams find ways to win and that's exactly what we did.

• Matty Ice could have lost confidence as our defense was getting blistered in the 4th quarter and momentum shifted. Did he? NO, he ROSE UP!
  • That last drive with 31 seconds left with Matty Ice in charge was as clutch as you'll see. And the real thing of beauty was Gonzo making the last catch...Matty Ice to Gonzo, the script couldn't have been written any better. I'm elated that Gonzo was the one catching that.

Folks, the talking heads cannot say Matty Ice isn't elite any longer. I felt the Giants game was his watershed moment, but now the talking heads have been proved wrong. Only an elite QB could have put that last drive together with everything going against him and wind at his back.

That performance by Matty Ice was clutch folks, Joe Montana and Tom Brady level clutch. RISE UP FALCON FANS, STOP LETTING THE MEDIA POISON YOUR MINDS...THEY HAVE BEEN WRONG ABOUT US. Next week, we are 3 point underdogs at home. Don't let this infect your attitude, we are the real deal and I feel strongly we are not only headed to the Super Bowl, but that we will win it.

PS.....don't forget the Seahawks destroyed the 49ers just a few weeks ago in a disgraceful loss the them. We beat Seahawks, Seahawks destroyed 49ers, you do the math. (hint- the math doesn't add up to Falcons +3)

Major props to HD as well, MR loves him in the clutch.

amen

I keep seeing complaints by Falcon fans, but I saw a different game than the complainers.....I saw Matty Ice confirm what I already believed to be true, he confirmed he is a legitimate elite NFL QB. That last drive could only have been performed by an elite QB. Let the media talking heads chew on that last drive for a while, I know it tastes terrible to them.

I'm sorry but I just take all universe TE Tony Gonzalez's play as a given.

All these clutch catches he makes them look run of the mill so I find it hard to get excited becasue his benchmark for the amazing is so hard.

I mean the best catch I saw TG grab this year was against the Aintys when he caught it behind Loftons back in traffic.

I am loving the fact that the last catch to put us in field goal range was made by Tony.

Think about it - just a few seconds before, he saw not only the game slipping away, not only his last chance for a playoff win in his 16-year career, but his last game ever. To hold it together and come through in that situation is a testament to his talent, focus and professionalism.

Well done, Tony.

I am loving the fact that the last catch to put us in field goal range was made by Tony.

Think about it - just a few seconds before, he saw not only the game slipping away, not only his last chance for a playoff win in his 16-year career, but his last game ever. To hold it together and come through in that situation is a testament to his talent, focus and professionalism.

Well done, Tony.

Absolutely true. He said himself that he was on the sidelines thinking, "Well, this is it. My career's going to end on a heart-breaking loss. It's not fair."

I could understand a drop in that situation, with that pressure, from anyone else. But not from Tony G.

I've always said that if we won the Superbowl, I wanted it to be a last-minute TD to Tony. But c'mon, the odds of that aren't great.

Yesterday was the next best thing.

Thrilled for Tony. At long last, he knows what post-season success tastes like.

I could understand a drop in that situation, with that pressure, from anyone else. But not from Tony G.

Thrilled for Tony. At long last, he knows what post-season success tastes like.

Tony's a pro's pro. You're right; no way he drops that ball. In fact, I believe he took extra precautions to make sure he didn't.

Tony didn't just catch that ball. He had the desire, the willpower, the freaking sheer strength to push through for an extra five yards. Watch that clutch catch again, he catches it at the 36 and pushes to the 31/32. Without that five yards, we might not even be having this conversation.

Edited by Falcan Moore

Tony didn't just catch that ball. He had the desire, the willpower, the freaking sheer strength to push through for an extra five yards. Watch that clutch catch again, he catches it at the 36 and pushes to the 31/32. Without that five yards, we might not even be having this conversation.

Agree, But we still had :13 second left and we might have tried another short route to the outside... LOL You never give up with Matty when you are down only 2 pts or 1 pts...

good point

After the game Dilfer had a great breakdown on what was different about Atlanta this season. He referenced Matt's quote in the press conference that what he his learned over 5 years is how hard it is to win in the post season. Then Dilfer went over the tough plays that the offense made. The plays made in that game, just by the Falcons, were enough to fill a highlight reel.