Cowboys: Jones Wants Garret To Fire His Brother And Give Up His Play Calling Dooties

Trouble

I said dooties :)

Mort: Jones is pushing Garrett to give up play-calling duties

Changes have indeed come to Valley Ranch.

Apart from the departure of defensive coordinator Rob Ryan and the change in philosophy from 3-4 to 4-3 with the arrival of Monte Kiffin, more seismic shifts are possible.

According to Chris Mortensen of ESPN, owner Jerry Jones is pushing coach Jason Garrett to relinquish play-calling duties. Per Mort, Jones also may be trying to get Garrett to fire his brother, tight ends coach John Garrett.

Mort says John Garrett is calling around the league regarding other available jobs. Which could indeed means that John Garrett fears his brother will fire him.

It also could mean that the Princeton-educated Garretts sense that Jones is trying to provoke a showdown that will result in Jason Garrett leaving as the head coach without Jones flat-out firing him. Indeed, it’s one thing for Jones to roll out of bed one morning and decide to make a coaching change. It’s quite another for Jones to want his head coach to make changes and for his coach to resist, creating an impasse that leads to only one logical conclusion.

Even if Jones is simply laying the foundation to justify a Jason-Garrett-for-Jon-Gruden swap, the issue of play-calling is legitimate. Too many times over the last two years has Garrett been unable to spin the big-picture plate of clock-management with the small-picture task of deciding what the next play will be. If, as I think I said at one point this year on Pro Football Talk on NBC Sports Network, you can’t walk and chew gum at the same time, don’t try.

So regardless of whether Jones is trying to nudge out Jason Garrett, there’s still a chance he’ll be gone sooner rather than later.

Kiffen probably has a name he wants. LikeRyan was thrown away looks like Garrets fate mate be the same. If Jones has a secret guy he wants or can sell as the next big thing. Lil ol Garret may be on his way out.

Still pretty crappy of Jones to try and make him fire his brother. Jones is a ego maniac. Why play games just go in and say "look sorry we are letting you go. Also Jason we want you to focus on leading the team so we are bringing in someone to call plays.

That said, JJ is likely never going to see another Lombardi in his lifetime. He shoulda never ended the relationship he had with Jimmy.

THAT IS WHEN THE DOMINOES STARTED TO FALL. AFTER JIMMY, THE BOYS

HAD A FEW MORE GOOD YEARS, BUT BASICALLY THOSE WERE JIMMY'S

TEAMS. WHEN THE TIME CAME TO REPLACE KEY PLAYERS ....... IT COULD

NOT BE DONE. THEY MADE SOME GOOD DRAFT PICKS ... BUT THERE WAS

NO ONE TO COACH'EM UP, NO ONE TO KEEP A FOOT IN THEIR A___. SO ......

HERE WE ARE.

Didn't agree about getting rid of Rob Ryan, but I actually agree with Jones on Garret giving up his play calling duties. Cowboys need to run the ball more to help Romo and that Defense out. Romo is a good QB, but he can't carry a team on his back. They need a strong Run game to get pressure off Romo and limit his pass attempts/mistakes. Garret has proven he isn't going to do that while calling plays.

Didn't agree about getting rid of Rob Ryan, but I actually agree with Jones on Garret giving up his play calling duties. Cowboys need to run the ball more to help Romo and that Defense out. Romo is a good QB, but he can't carry a team on his back. They need a strong Run game to get pressure off Romo and limit his pass attempts/mistakes. Garret has proven he isn't going to do that while calling plays.

Agreed. Except Ryan's D never caused enough turnovers.

To me,Garrett's future in Dallas is in doubt.

It doesn't sound like Garrett has Jerry's trust...otherwise why would Jerry be making all of these moves if he did have trust in Garrett?

Jimmy Johnson didn't call the offensive plays in Dallas.

Agreed. Except Ryan's D never caused enough turnovers.

Not really any ball hawks on the Dallas defense either though. I think Rob Ryan runs a pretty good scheme, maybe not aggressive enough at times but that defense wasn't getting much help from that offense either. Ball control and clock management is important to get defense rest and limit the snap count on the players.

Not really any ball hawks on the Dallas defense either though. I think Rob Ryan runs a pretty good scheme, maybe not aggressive enough at times but that defense wasn't getting much help from that offense either. Ball control and clock management is important to get defense rest and limit the snap count on the players.

Very true

Jimmy Johnson didn't call the offensive plays in Dallas.

I know that Johnson never called plays.

That really has nothing to do with this.

What it does look like is that Garrett may not be what Jones had expected.

Whenever you start taking away what little control that Garrett has on his team,then he is in trouble.

I know that Johnson never called plays.

That really has nothing to do with this.

What it does look like is that Garrett may not be what Jones had expected.

Whenever you start taking away what little control that Garrett has on his team,then he is in trouble.

Not really, Jimmy was a "walk around" coach. Jason can still make personnel decisions and make calls in certain situations. There's more to coaching than just play calling.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/16/cowboys-tight-ends-coach-john-garrett-pursuing-delaware-job/

While the Dallas Cowboys currently seem to be committed to keeping Jason Garrett as their head coach, his older brother appears to be seeking other opportunities.

According to Jeremy Fowler of CBSSports.com, Cowboys tight end coach John Garrett has applied for the head coaching job at the University of Delaware.

Per Fowler, Jason knows his brother is pursuing the job and has encouraged him to do so.

Cowboys special teams coach Joe DeCamillis didn’t get the Bears head coaching job he interviewed for, but he’s going to work for them anyway.

According to Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com, the Cowboys allowed DeCamillis to make what amounts to a lateral move to go work for the Bears as an assistant under new head coach Marc Trestman.

The Cowboys blocked a move to Oakland last year which would have included the assistant head coach title last year, but not this offseason.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/16/cowboys-allow-joe-decamillis-to-take-bears-assistant-job/

How many coaches jump on the sword and yet the HC doesnt take any blame? Been roughly 500 since he took over.

Garret is on borrowed time. There just isnt a person Jones wants atm. Next year could be his last.