Ok, Take A Deep Breath

smashmouthjoe

....and lets's look at reality. I have been a Falcon fan longer than most and I am a die hard. However, all this talk about how this is a must game and if we don't win should we fire Smitty etc is nonsense.

This years's team is flawed. We need help in the O line , the D line, running back. These can all be remedied in the off season in Free Agency and the Draft. THEN, we will have the team we have been hoping for.

That is not to say we can't win it ALL this year, anything can happen in the playoffs. All I am saying is that if we should lose to the Seahawks or some other team later on in the playoffs, it's not the end of the world. Next year we should be a team that no one wants to play. TD and Smitty have carefully assembled this team and there are only a few pieces still missing.

As far as Matt not winning his firat three palyoff games, check out P. Manning's first three playofff games. He didn't win a Super Bowl until his 7th try.

Now let's stomp the Seahags ! GO FALCONS !!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed on most points, but if we lose Gonzo, our whole offensive scheme changes-we HAVE to take advantage of our passing strengths THIS year and progress.. we def need work on rushing. IF we can fix that, maybe the Gonzo loss won't hurt so much and we can make another run to DEFEND OUR NFL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Yeah I think the people screaming for firings if we don't win are clueless. This team still has a lot of room for improvement in the trenches to be a dominant team, and an upgrade at running back.

But the uncertainty of Tony retiring really puts the pressure on us to win it all this year IMHO. You just can't go out and find a guy like that, and he is a MAJOR reason for our success.

Yes there are weaknesses but all teams have them. It's more about being the group that plays the best as a unit. If everyone is truly all in for each other, like I've heard some of them say, this year could be special.

That said, if we don't win I hope we keep Smith, Koetter and Nolan. Smith has earned at least one more season imo. 56 wins over 5 years is a big deal.

....and lets's look at reality. I have been a Falcon fan longer than most and I am a die hard. However, all this talk about how this is a must game and if we don't win should we fire Smitty etc is nonsense.

This years's team is flawed. We need help in the O line , the D line, running back. These can all be remedied in the off season in Free Agency and the Draft. THEN, we will have the team we have been hoping for.

That is not to say we can't win it ALL this year, anything can happen in the playoffs. All I am saying is that if we should lose to the Seahawks or some other team later on in the playoffs, it's not the end of the world. Next year we should be a team that no one wants to play. TD and Smitty have carefully assembled this team and there are only a few pieces still missing.

As far as Matt not winning his firat three palyoff games, check out P. Manning's first three playofff games. He didn't win a Super Bowl until his 7th try.

Now let's stomp the Seahags ! GO FALCONS !!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah if we lose this game we should fire the winningest coach in franchise history, the only coach under whom we've seen back-to-back winning seasons, and who's built a team with the best home record in the NFL.

Yeah...cut off his head if we lose. Go hire Norv Turner or Rob Ryan and watch the Lombardi trophies pile up. wacko.png

I was kicking this around with a couple of Falcon Fans at Bones. I was surprised that firing Smith was on anyones radar. From an outsider, I think Smith has been great for the Falcons. (Playoff's aside) Didn't he walk into a mess?

We are experiencing the best 5 year run in team history but without playoff wins some have been very down on him. We desperately needed a switch at OC and a new DC was important too. (Notice both of them are looking for jobs again only a year later)

Plus I think Smith has finally learned some lessons and is not as conservative as he has been in the past. Not saying he's perfect, but better.

We are experiencing the best 5 year run in team history but without playoff wins some have been very down on him. We desperately needed a switch at OC and a new DC was important too. (Notice both of them are looking for jobs again only a year later)

Plus I think Smith has finally learned some lessons and is not as conservative as he has been in the past. Not saying he's perfect, but better.

From my limited view (3k miles away and only seeing highlights) Smith appears to be an excellent HC.

No way dude .... Blank will not stand for a loss ....last year if was the coordinaters , this year will be smith if we lose this game

No it won't. Blank knows how this team is being put together. It is not a 4 or 5 year process if done like they want it done --- especially considering how far down we were when the proces began.

I just gotta laugh at people who dismiss Smith's success because "the Falcons had so much talent." Do you think TD picked those guys all by himself? If so, you don't pay attention at all to how Smitty and TD work together. They built this team together, and turned the total disaster of the Vick fiasco into the second most winning team in the NFL in the last 5 years only behind the Pats in one single season.

How do you think we set the ALL TIME NFL record for the least penalized team ever? Ladies and Gentlemen that is no fluke: that is excellent coaching.

If roster talent is all it takes to win in the NFL, why did Andy Reid fail so miserably in Philly with such a stacked roster?

There are probably about 25 teams out there who would love to have Smitty as their head coach. Fortunately, he is ours. Unfortunately, some of our fanbase are just clueless at what a true gem Smitty really is for us.

Edited by FalconFanForLife

Gents, sorry for being off topic...

Is there anything or place you would recommend me seeing in Atlanta today? I'm more apt to saddle up at the sports bar and watch football, but I figured I'm here, I might as well take in some sights if you think their worth seeing. btw - I'm a 40 year old, married, father of 1. Just for context...

I just gotta laugh at people who dismiss Smith's success because "the Falcons had so much talent." Do you think TD picked those guys all by himself? If so, you don't pay attention at all to how Smitty and TD work together. They built this team together, and turned the total disaster of the Vick fiasco into the second most winning team in the NFL in the last 5 years only behind the Pats in one single season.

How do you think we set the ALL TIME NFL record for the least penalized team ever? Ladies and Gentlemen that is no fluke: that is excellent coaching.

If roster talent is all it takes to win in the NFL, why did Andy Reid fail so miserably in Philly with such a stacked roster?

There are probably about 25 teams out there who would love to have Smitty as their head coach. Fortunately, he is ours. Unfortunately, some of our fanbase are just clueless at what a true gem Smitty really is for us.

absolutely untrue .... Most people and the media knows mike smith is not an elite coach ... I will never understand how a coach who can't win a playoff game is so loved by their fans ..... Only here in Atlanta where we don't know how to be a winner but we love to be mediocre .... Hawks , braves , etc.

I have supported and pulled for this team since its charter in 1966. I have suffered thru the insufferable and the high points as well. We have paid our dues and then some. I agree that this team is flawed, but so is all other teams that are in contention for this seasons title...with that said, while a loss would be almost incomprehensible to the masses it is a possibility, although like most I would say improbable. Here is why..

1. All other teams are flawed as well

2. You don't need a perfect team

3. Are hopes are where they are because this is the path that the team chose as their objective.

4. All around our imperfect team is superior to all others which remain, and to say otherwise would be taking a defeatist attitude.

5. We should be focused totally on winning and if it doesn't pan out, then we dissect and make any requisite changes after the fact, not in supposition.

6. Part of winning is failing to accept a modicum of doubt with regard to talent, desire, attitude and COMMITTMENT to win. If the team is ready and together the outcome will be what you dictate.

7. Chokers gonna choke, players gonna play.

These Falcons don't choke, for real!

The universe is vast and mans collective will shall persevere. The twelfth man encompasses all that follow, just not those in attendance at the stadium.

So tomorrow, all falcon fans will awaken in the morning, with a singular focus of force and will, that being 100 % assured that at the end of the day....these birds are for real, and stand ready for the next opponent, next Sunday.

One question....if not now, WHEN!!!

Rise up!