Quick Mock Offseason

Just names, little explanation for now:

#1) We have roughly $8 million in salary cap space before any restructuring, resignings, or cuts. Cutting Turner frees up ~$7 million, resigning Matt Ryan to a long term deal should free up ~$6 million for the 2013 cap if done right, and having Dunta and Roddy make slight restructures so that we get ~$2.5 million each of cap space for 2013 should be feasible considering their high salary numbers.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/43221/looking-at-2013-salary-cap-numbers

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/atlanta-falcons/salary/67038?q=atlanta-falcons

That leaves us with $26 million in cap space for 2013.

#2) Use the franchise tag on CB Brent Grimes and ship him to Detroit for franchise tagged LDE/OLB Cliff Avril (explanation is in thread titled "Franchise Tag and Trade"). The tag numbers for CB and DE are nearly identicaly for 2013, so this takes away $10 million from our cap space. Leaves us with $16 million in cap space.

#3) Re-sign Sam Baker with a deal that takes $3 million away in the 1st year of cap space, leaving us with $13 million in cap space.

#4) Re-sign William Moore to a deal that takes away $4 million in 1st year of cap space, leaving us with $9 million in cap space.

#5) Sign RB Reggie Bush to a 2 year deal with a team option for a 3rd year, 1st year cap space would also be $4 million. Leaves us with $5 million.

#6) Sign TE Martellus Bennett to a 1 year deal for $3 million. If Bennett is unavailable, we can make the same offer to Finley. Worst case if for Keller but I really don't like his fit here since he can't block. Leaves us with $2 million, and further restructures can be made to free up enough for the draft class. We can also remove the tag from Avril and sign him to a multi-year deal which would take that $10 million tag number and decrease it to $5.5 or so in the 1st year. Then we have $6.5 million to use in cap room for the draft class.

#7) Approach Clabo with the proposition of a position change or he's being cut. He'll likely happily accept the position change because he graded out pretty poorly this year and he wouldn't get a better deal contract-wise on the open market. Much like Boone who bounced around as a RT before landing in San Fran and moving to RG, Clabo can have great success at RG. He's a mauler who struggles with speed rushers. He won't have to worry about that on the inside. I believe Pat Hill can make Clabo a great RG. Insert Lamar Holmes into the starting RT spot. Move Konz to Center. Clabo and Reynolds can battle for the RG spot. Some combination of the three of them will man RG or RT. Now we do not need to draft an offensive lineman.

Draft:

1) Johnathan Jenkins, DT, Georgia, 6'3 360 lbs

Unsure if he'll be here, but with the top 3 DTs set as Star, Hankins, and Richardson I wouldn't be surprised to see Jenkins fall a bit. He doesn't have great stats, and unlike Dontari Poe he isn't going to blow up the combine. People will associate their size together and Poe's bad rookie year where he couldn't get on the field may hurt him. We need a stud DT, and while Jenkins isn't in the same class as Star or Hankins he could be down the line. I trust Nolan to make a star out of him. He should free up Spoon and Nicholas to make some more plays, and will allow more scheme flexibility.

Alternate pick: UNC DT Sylvester Williams, 6'3, 320 lbs

2) David Amerson, CB, NC State, 6'2 194 lbs

Amerson has fallen from a Top 10 candidate preseason to a 2nd/3rd round guy. I think this is a crazy steal for whoever takes him outside the 2nd round. He is a true ballhawk and his draft stock has for some reason suffered because he's gotten the Revis treatment all season. Maybe it hasn't suffered as much in real draft circles as it has in the media and in mocks, because not having great stats due to QBs not throwing on you is actually a good thing. But people just point to: he had 13 interceptions in 2011 and ONLY 5 this year!!! First off, 5 is still great. It's actually amazing considering QBs being wary of throwing his way. This is a luxury pick if he falls this far, but our secondary has become a strength and this helps keep it a strength. If Dunta or Asante get hurt, Amerson can slide into an outside role with McClain as the nickel CB. If McClain gets hurt, Dunta can slide inside to slot CB which was our original plan with Dunta anyway. Or maybe Amerson is so good that he moves McClain to dime CB for the time being.

Alternate pick: Oregon State CB Jordan Poyer

3) Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina

We get the best RB in college for a redshirt Falcons seasons. Signing Reggie Bush allows us to make this pick, and it will only help our offense continue to be a juggernaut in the future. Short-term, Lattimore can hopefully make it back fully for the 2013 playoffs, but we'll have Reggie Bush with Quizz and Snelling as our RB trio. Long-term, we'll have Lattimore as the lead dog with Quizz sprinkled in. I know people love Lacy, but Lattimore is a better talent. He was arguably the best RB in college last year with T-Rich and Doug Martin both in college. We can take this gamble because we don't have many other starting needs.

Alternate pick: WR Stedman Bailey, West Virginia (for the slot)

4) Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State

Yet another redshirt player, but again we can afford to do this because we don't have other starting needs and because we brought in Cliff Avril and have Kroy and Mass behind them. Carradine is a legit 1st round 4-3 RDE prospect, and I believe of the 3 FSU DEs he has the highest upside. Due to limited film and his injury he will fall this far, maybe further, but at the end of the 4th we can take a chance on this guy. We have just basically traded our 3rd and 4th round picks for future 1st rounders, because had these guys stayed in college they would be 1st round picks next year. Instead of having to do that, we get them at this cheap price AND get them with a playbook for a year so they are ready to roll the following season.

Alternate pick: DE Brandon Jenkins, DE, Florida State

4th comp pick from Curtis Lofton = Sean Porter, OLB, Texas A&M

From one LB to another, we scoop up what was supposed to be the next Von Miller from A&M. In the pre-season everyone thought Porter was going to turn in a Miller-esque season and become a top draft pick. That didn't exactly happen for the 6'2 230 lbs LB with 4.65 speed as Damonte Moore was used in that role instead and now he's the one who's looking like a lock to be a Top 10 pick. That's fine because Porter is an ideal fit as an attacking OLB in Nolan's defense. He can play weakside with Spoon moving to the middle and Nicholas manning the strongside, and he is good backup if we need a cover 'backer. He had 7 tackles and 1 INT against Alabama in their big win.

Alternate pick: Gerald Hodges, ILB, Penn State

5) William Gholston, DT/DE, Michigan State

Gholston has a ton of untapped talent, and sometimes seems confused on the field. But he flashes big time, and has the size that Nolan will covet in his rotation. With Jenkins and Gholston we'll be able to play with a ton of different looks that we currently can't really pull off. Jenkins as a NT, Gholston as a 3-4 DE on the stringside, and Babs as a 3-4 DE on the weakside with Avril and Abe or Porter as OLBs and Spoon and Nich as ILBs....that's very scary to think about as an offensive coordinator. He's a bit boom or bust, but we can take that risk here. Long-term he could be our starting LDE with Carradine as our RDE, or Gholston can be a rotational Justin Tuck-esque player moving between LDE and DT.

Alternate pick: Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina

6) Marquise Goodwin, WR/RS, Texas

Goodwin has worldclass speed but is also a good receiver. He'd bring a difference making ability to our slot WR position as well as to our return unit which is really something that we are missing.

Alternative pick: Reggie Dunn, WR/RS, Utah (more raw as a WR, but more impressive return man)

7) You can pick, could be anything

Amerson didn't get the Revis treatment. He just got burned all year. He is a ballhawk but in several games such as the Tennessee game and Miami game he consistently got beat. He maybe better as a safety in the NFL. Carradine is a nice pick that could end up being a steal if he is healthy.

Overall I like the idea of the draft. Not a fan of Jenkins unless we were running a true 3-4 defense, but I would be just fine with the alternate picks in both round one and two. I think if you swap Gholston to the third round and Lattimore to the fifth it would be more realistic and I would be pretty happy with those picks. Tank in the 4th would be awesome with tons of upside potential.

As for the offseason there are a couple of problems I see:

Turner only saves us $5.5 million in cap after accounting for his $2.5 mil in dead money.

Avril would cost us $12.72 million in cap space. He would be a second year franchise player and that costs an additional 20% which would be $10.6 x 120% = $12.72 million

Back loaded contract on Baker, Moore, and Ryan have the potential to kill us depending on who is coming off the books in two years...Robinson and Asante, possibly Roddy come to mind, but we will also be dishing out a huge deal to Julio that year as his rookie contract ends.

We really have no leverage on Clabo because if I remember correctly we would take full cap hit if he was cut this year. GR is a free agent so we would also have to factor in some money to bring him back next year.

Just accounting for Turner and Avril our cap number would be closer to $20.5 million assuming everything else works out.

Overall I like the idea of the draft. Not a fan of Jenkins unless we were running a true 3-4 defense, but I would be just fine with the alternate picks in both round one and two. I think if you swap Gholston to the third round and Lattimore to the fifth it would be more realistic and I would be pretty happy with those picks. Tank in the 4th would be awesome with tons of upside potential.

Turner only saves us $5.5 million in cap after accounting for his $2.5 mil in dead money.

Avril would cost us $12.72 million in cap space. He would be a second year franchise player and that costs an additional 20% which would be $10.6 x 120% = $12.72 million

Back loaded contract on Baker, Moore, and Ryan have the potential to kill us depending on who is coming off the books in two years...Robinson and Asante, possibly Roddy come to mind, but we will also be dishing out a huge deal to Julio that year as his rookie contract ends.

We really have no leverage on Clabo because if I remember correctly we would take full cap hit if he was cut this year. GR is a free agent so we would also have to factor in some money to bring him back next year.

Just accounting for Turner and Avril our cap number would be closer to $20.5 million assuming everything else works out.

John Jenkins is pretty athletic dude. He play a lot of DE in UGA's 3-4 sets. He could play the 3. Plus if we draft Gholston as well, We would have all the pieces to run the 3-4 right.

Don't like it. Amerson is over rated and not physical at all. thats too early for latimore as he will most likely be sitting out next year. Take another injured player in Carradine. We need more impact in the early rounds

Amerson is overrated?? Man Idk who you were watching, perhaps you didn't watch him at all is what is likely. To be fair, I am a huge Amerson fan. He is definitely physical, and he can become even more so to your liking with NFL coaching. He has more than ideal size at 6'2 and great speed, but most importantly he has uncanny instincts in coverage and is a sound tackler. I really like him for Nolan's aggressive defense in which he'll get chances to make some plays.

I think Lattimore will get taken in the end of the 2nd round or mid-3rd round in the real draft. I understand you want to say he should be taken lower because he may miss the entire year, but thats not how the draft works. He's the best RB in college football and he can be had for pennies on the dollar because of his injury. Willis McGahee was a similar talent in college and had a similar injury even later in the season and closer to the draft -- he was taken in the 1st round. I would not be shocked at all if a smart team took him and stashed him and then had a stud feature runner for 3 years for less than $1 million a year. Then they can resign to a long term, fair deal.

And yes I know, I channeled my inner TD and took another injured player. Carradine should be an asset by playoff time, but this is more about talent and long term success.

This is very important and Im afraid it will get lost in the wash of this multiquote response, but you said we need more impact in the early rounds. Look at our draft this last year: our 1st two picks were Konz and Holmes. Konz wasn't used until later in the season and he hasn't been too effective, and Holmes hasn't played once all year. WE HAVE A VERY GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM AND TALENT AT ALMOST EVERY STARTING POSITION. We are not going to get immediate starters outside of Round 2 for this team unless it's a specialty position like return man, slot WR, or kicker/punter. It's that simple. Look at the 3rd and 4th rounds of every draft and the corresponding amount of rookies who make meaningful impacts in their rookie seasons. It's a very small percent. We usually swing and miss on those (see: Chevis Jackson, Chris Owens, etc. etc.) By we I mean TD of course.

This to me is the same as saying after the 1st two rounds, would you be willing to trade our 3rd round pick for a future 1st and our 4th round pick for another future 1st. I think when posed that way it is a no-brainer yes. So think about it that way. If not for a injury to Garrett Reynolds Konz nor Holmes would have had any impact this year.

We can take Lattimore and Carradine and instead of needing a RB or DE in the future they will already know our scheme and be on our team for pennies. We can sign a free agent RB and DE, or in this case trade for a DE.

Amerson didn't get the Revis treatment. He just got burned all year. He is a ballhawk but in several games such as the Tennessee game and Miami game he consistently got beat. He maybe better as a safety in the NFL. Carradine is a nice pick that could end up being a steal if he is healthy.

Amerson didn't get thrown on nearly like he did the year before, so yes he did, and he did not get burnt all year. He got burnt on a few plays all year, and you are talking about going against Justin Hunter the 6'4 Randy Moss-esque WR from Tennessee that beat everyone at some point all year. Amerson has a ton of potential and he can still improve. You can't teach instincts (see: Chris Houston), and he has them in spades. He can be a very good CB for us and match up against Colston, VJax, and whoever the Panthers bring in to be Cam's #1 WR. All of those guys have serious height and they killed us all year. We'd be stacked in the secondary from Day 1 and be good down the line for when Dunta and/or Asante are out of the picture. There is no such thing as too many good CBs in this passing NFL.

I could have went the conventional easy way and taken a DE or OG Larry Warford in the 2nd and people would have cheered for Warford, but I don't think we need to make any exterior changes to our line in terms of personnel and we can use our pick elsewhere. By moving Clabo inside to RG, we get to use our 2nd round pick on an "extra" position instead of OG. So at that in that way. Amerson also has the skillset to move to safety if DeCoud or Moore get hurt, which happens. After this season we won't have a 3rd quality safety. So we get a stud CB who can play every secondary position -- something TD will love.

Good post, I'll address it from top to bottom.

Jenkins is a scheme versatile prospect in my eyes who can be a John Henderson type of DT in a 4-3 but also be a Vince Wilfork in a 3-4. I believe he is very athletic, and could really blossom into our version of Haloti Ngata for our hybrid defense. If we don't think he can do that, I'm happy with Sylvester because I think he has a ton of upside too. We just don't have a player that can truly man the nose in a 3-4 set and Jenkins opens up Nolan's defensive playbook 2x. Imagine how scary our defense would be with Nolan being able to switch formations on the fly (without having to change out personnel to boot).

If that's the correct number on Turner that's fine, but Avril would only cost that much if we kept him on the tag. If we sign him after bringing him over, that number would drop, and I assume we'd only bring him over in a trade because we'd have that intention. I really believe he could be a star for Nolan and would like to see it happen. Also to vindicate my position against the few people who dislike Avril for some reason. I don't think we'd give a big deal to Baker. I don't think he'd be met by a warm market as a free agent -- it's true that starting LTs rarely get to free agency but Baker is mostly a bust and may not have been starting this year if Holmes didn't hurt his foot early on. I think we'd be fine without him. I guess I should say if we don't bring Baker back, the 2nd round pick becomes either Larry Warford which keeps Clabo at RT, or a good LT prospect if there is one (highly doubtful) and Clabo moves inside. I think we bring Baker back on a deal that is team-friendly.

I'd be upset if we let Moore walk because he was one of those guys I was clamoring for the Falcons to draft for two years and it actually happened, but he may be seeking more $$ than we're willing to give (see: Lofton) and we could use our 2nd rounder on a deep safety class....maybe a Robert Lester from Bama or a Rambo from UGA. But we can work out the cap numbers if we bring back Baker, Moore, and re-sign Ryan. They are true Falcons....they would continue to move $ around and restructure so we werent in a bad cap situation. Unlike the Jets we can do this because we have a really good team and a good lockerroom -- when you max out your cap each year you better **** not have a ton of huge needs.

We don't need leverage on Clabo, I was just making a point. He is under contract and if we say you are moving to RG, he has to. We could just bench him if he complains. I don't see Clabo caring since he's already getting paid like a top RT, so he'll just get to maul inside. This may be his preferred move considering he's locked up his contract in fact.

Edited by The Dirty Bird

Gholston looks just like his cousin in my eyes. He passes the eye test but that's about it.

Gholston is a good player. He is nothing like his cousin, and don't blame Vernon's failure in the NFL solely on him or try to tie William into it -- that's dumb imho.

Vernon was put into a 3-4 and asked to read+react as a standup OLB. What an incredibly ******** idea by the GM and the coach. He was good at one thing and that was sticking his hand in the dirt and getting after the QB, and they didn't ask him to do that. They saw his combine and thought they had this wonderful piece of clay to mold.

William Gholston is a 4-3 DL who can play DT and DE -- and that is what he will play for us. He can also naturally play 3-4 DE on the strongside which is a player type we also don't currently have. If you want to talk about impact as a rookie, think about Nolan being able to play a true 3-4 with Jenkins at NT, Gholston as strongside DE and Babs as weakside DE with Abe and Avril as OLBs. Or in pass rushing sets we can have Gholston and Babs inside at DT (or Dorsey with Babs), and Abe and Avril as DE, or Abe and Kroy as DEs and Avril as the 4-3 SLB who can blitz.

Gholston opens up the playbook, and he also has a ton of talent. We can get him to perform consistently, I have no doubt. We have one of the best lockerrooms in terms of leadership and being a true family in all of sports. Gholston needs that as much as we need a player of his ability.

#7) Approach Clabo with the proposition of a position change or he's being cut. He'll likely happily accept the position change because he graded out pretty poorly this year and he wouldn't get a better deal contract-wise on the open market. Much like Boone who bounced around as a RT before landing in San Fran and moving to RG, Clabo can have great success at RG. He's a mauler who struggles with speed rushers. He won't have to worry about that on the inside. I believe Pat Hill can make Clabo a great RG. Insert Lamar Holmes into the starting RT spot. Move Konz to Center. Clabo and Reynolds can battle for the RG spot. Some combination of the three of them will man RG or RT. Now we do not need to draft an offensive lineman.

I stopped reading when you said that he graded pretty poorly. He was ranked as PFF's #6 RT on the year, and that is only because he had a rough start to the year.

Over the first nine games of the regular season, right tackle Tyson Clabo allowed five sacks, six hits and 17 hurries on 406 pass blocks. Over the last seven, he decreased that to zero sacks, one hit and six hurries on 419 pass blocks.

This mock just makes me angry. It's a mockery of a mock draft. Just terrible.

1. Brent Grimes, when healthy, is a top 5 CB. Cliff Avril is an average DE at his BEST. Horrible decision.

2. Martellus Bennett is good at everything, but not great at anything. Not the kind of player worth going after in free agency.

3. Clabo is our best offensive lineman by a lot. Why would you want to kick him inside and just HAND the starting job to Holmes? Do you think Lions fans are trying to kick Gosder Cherilus inside to guard and replace him with a second year player? No, because he's done nothing to lose his job, just like Clabo has done nothing to lose his job. Maybe let's kick Lamar Holmes in to RG to try to solve that problem instead of kicking Clabo inside and creating a new problem at RT.

4. This draft is just a huge mess. No TE drafted whatsoever. Big fat space eating NT instead of playmaking DT that draws double teams because of skill rather than size. No offensive linemen drafted whatsoever. Two DEs? A LB? An injured RB who won't be able to contribute right away and might never be the same guy he was before his injury? A corner in the 2nd round? I don't understand this at all. Even if we go with your thing where we bring in Avril, why would we then draft two DEs on top of that? We'd have Abe, Biermann, Avril, Carradine AND Gholston, and if you're drafting John Jenkins you're assuming that we're moving to a 3-4 where our 4-3 DEs, save for Gholston, would need to become linebackers and...ugh, it's almost exhausting pointing out how bad this is. I'm sorry dude, I respect you but this is just awful.

Amerson is overrated?? Man Idk who you were watching, perhaps you didn't watch him at all is what is likely. To be fair, I am a huge Amerson fan. He is definitely physical, and he can become even more so to your liking with NFL coaching. He has more than ideal size at 6'2 and great speed, but most importantly he has uncanny instincts in coverage and is a sound tackler. I really like him for Nolan's aggressive defense in which he'll get chances to make some plays.

I think Lattimore will get taken in the end of the 2nd round or mid-3rd round in the real draft. I understand you want to say he should be taken lower because he may miss the entire year, but thats not how the draft works. He's the best RB in college football and he can be had for pennies on the dollar because of his injury. Willis McGahee was a similar talent in college and had a similar injury even later in the season and closer to the draft -- he was taken in the 1st round. I would not be shocked at all if a smart team took him and stashed him and then had a stud feature runner for 3 years for less than $1 million a year. Then they can resign to a long term, fair deal.

And yes I know, I channeled my inner TD and took another injured player. Carradine should be an asset by playoff time, but this is more about talent and long term success.

This is very important and Im afraid it will get lost in the wash of this multiquote response, but you said we need more impact in the early rounds. Look at our draft this last year: our 1st two picks were Konz and Holmes. Konz wasn't used until later in the season and he hasn't been too effective, and Holmes hasn't played once all year. WE HAVE A VERY GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM AND TALENT AT ALMOST EVERY STARTING POSITION. We are not going to get immediate starters outside of Round 2 for this team unless it's a specialty position like return man, slot WR, or kicker/punter. It's that simple. Look at the 3rd and 4th rounds of every draft and the corresponding amount of rookies who make meaningful impacts in their rookie seasons. It's a very small percent. We usually swing and miss on those (see: Chevis Jackson, Chris Owens, etc. etc.) By we I mean TD of course.

This to me is the same as saying after the 1st two rounds, would you be willing to trade our 3rd round pick for a future 1st and our 4th round pick for another future 1st. I think when posed that way it is a no-brainer yes. So think about it that way. If not for a injury to Garrett Reynolds Konz nor Holmes would have had any impact this year.

We can take Lattimore and Carradine and instead of needing a RB or DE in the future they will already know our scheme and be on our team for pennies. We can sign a free agent RB and DE, or in this case trade for a DE.

Amerson didn't get thrown on nearly like he did the year before, so yes he did, and he did not get burnt all year. He got burnt on a few plays all year, and you are talking about going against Justin Hunter the 6'4 Randy Moss-esque WR from Tennessee that beat everyone at some point all year. Amerson has a ton of potential and he can still improve. You can't teach instincts (see: Chris Houston), and he has them in spades. He can be a very good CB for us and match up against Colston, VJax, and whoever the Panthers bring in to be Cam's #1 WR. All of those guys have serious height and they killed us all year. We'd be stacked in the secondary from Day 1 and be good down the line for when Dunta and/or Asante are out of the picture. There is no such thing as too many good CBs in this passing NFL.

I could have went the conventional easy way and taken a DE or OG Larry Warford in the 2nd and people would have cheered for Warford, but I don't think we need to make any exterior changes to our line in terms of personnel and we can use our pick elsewhere. By moving Clabo inside to RG, we get to use our 2nd round pick on an "extra" position instead of OG. So at that in that way. Amerson also has the skillset to move to safety if DeCoud or Moore get hurt, which happens. After this season we won't have a 3rd quality safety. So we get a stud CB who can play every secondary position -- something TD will love.

Good post, I'll address it from top to bottom.

Jenkins is a scheme versatile prospect in my eyes who can be a John Henderson type of DT in a 4-3 but also be a Vince Wilfork in a 3-4. I believe he is very athletic, and could really blossom into our version of Haloti Ngata for our hybrid defense. If we don't think he can do that, I'm happy with Sylvester because I think he has a ton of upside too. We just don't have a player that can truly man the nose in a 3-4 set and Jenkins opens up Nolan's defensive playbook 2x. Imagine how scary our defense would be with Nolan being able to switch formations on the fly (without having to change out personnel to boot).

If that's the correct number on Turner that's fine, but Avril would only cost that much if we kept him on the tag. If we sign him after bringing him over, that number would drop, and I assume we'd only bring him over in a trade because we'd have that intention. I really believe he could be a star for Nolan and would like to see it happen. Also to vindicate my position against the few people who dislike Avril for some reason. I don't think we'd give a big deal to Baker. I don't think he'd be met by a warm market as a free agent -- it's true that starting LTs rarely get to free agency but Baker is mostly a bust and may not have been starting this year if Holmes didn't hurt his foot early on. I think we'd be fine without him. I guess I should say if we don't bring Baker back, the 2nd round pick becomes either Larry Warford which keeps Clabo at RT, or a good LT prospect if there is one (highly doubtful) and Clabo moves inside. I think we bring Baker back on a deal that is team-friendly.

I'd be upset if we let Moore walk because he was one of those guys I was clamoring for the Falcons to draft for two years and it actually happened, but he may be seeking more $$ than we're willing to give (see: Lofton) and we could use our 2nd rounder on a deep safety class....maybe a Robert Lester from Bama or a Rambo from UGA. But we can work out the cap numbers if we bring back Baker, Moore, and re-sign Ryan. They are true Falcons....they would continue to move $ around and restructure so we werent in a bad cap situation. Unlike the Jets we can do this because we have a really good team and a good lockerroom -- when you max out your cap each year you better **** not have a ton of huge needs.

We don't need leverage on Clabo, I was just making a point. He is under contract and if we say you are moving to RG, he has to. We could just bench him if he complains. I don't see Clabo caring since he's already getting paid like a top RT, so he'll just get to maul inside. This may be his preferred move considering he's locked up his contract in fact.

The Miami game and the Clemson game he got burned. He is better served at FS. As far as that Justin Hunter comment you do realize Amerson will be in the NFL now. He will see guys like Justin Hunter on every Sunday.

1. I don't see a space eating NT being out first pick. Jenkins is a nice player but not for us in the 1st IMO.

2. Four New DT/DE's is a little overkill. Remember that every addition to the roster is offset by a subtraction. I don't think they'll be cutting half of their active DL rotation.

3. Not sure I want Reggie Bush eating up a big cap #

This mock just makes me angry. It's a mockery of a mock draft. Just terrible.

1. Brent Grimes, when healthy, is a top 5 CB. Cliff Avril is an average DE at his BEST. Horrible decision.

2. Martellus Bennett is good at everything, but not great at anything. Not the kind of player worth going after in free agency.

3. Clabo is our best offensive lineman by a lot. Why would you want to kick him inside and just HAND the starting job to Holmes? Do you think Lions fans are trying to kick Gosder Cherilus inside to guard and replace him with a second year player? No, because he's done nothing to lose his job, just like Clabo has done nothing to lose his job. Maybe let's kick Lamar Holmes in to RG to try to solve that problem instead of kicking Clabo inside and creating a new problem at RT.

4. This draft is just a huge mess. No TE drafted whatsoever. Big fat space eating NT instead of playmaking DT that draws double teams because of skill rather than size. No offensive linemen drafted whatsoever. Two DEs? A LB? An injured RB who won't be able to contribute right away and might never be the same guy he was before his injury? A corner in the 2nd round? I don't understand this at all. Even if we go with your thing where we bring in Avril, why would we then draft two DEs on top of that? We'd have Abe, Biermann, Avril, Carradine AND Gholston, and if you're drafting John Jenkins you're assuming that we're moving to a 3-4 where our 4-3 DEs, save for Gholston, would need to become linebackers and...ugh, it's almost exhausting pointing out how bad this is. I'm sorry dude, I respect you but this is just awful.

This is a mockery of a post guy. Every other person has said Grimes wouldn't bring this kind of value back. You argue in the opposite.

No TE drafted because we signed Bennett as a stop gap. Bennett is good at everything, and that is great for a stop gap. He can also run block which Cook, Keller, and Finley can not do.