Asante Samuel - Fun Facts

Peyton

Just saw these on PFT, and I didn't know this:

He holds the NFL record for pick sixes in the playoffs with 4. Only Willie Brown has even 3.

He also holds the record for most INT return yards with 227.

He needs two more INTs to tie the all time record of 9 postseason picks held by Ronnie Lott and a couple of other guys.

So..Russell Wilson, you might want to avoid throwing to the right on Sunday.

It's critical to contain Marshawn and force Wilson to try and win with his arm. As much as he's getting kudos in the media Wilson is a manager and nothing more. They've done a good job of asking him to do just enough over the last few weeks. They were running the ball on 3rd & 5 against Washington. The last thing they want is him being forced to make it happen against a ball-hawking secondary & Mike Nolan.

It's critical to contain Marshawn and force Wilson to win with his arm. As much as he's getting kudos in the media Wilson is a manager and nothing more. They've done a good job of asking him to do just enough over the last few weeks. They were running the ball on 3rd & 5 against Washington. The last thing they want is him being forced to make it happen against a ball-hawking secondary & Mike Nolan.

Agreed. If we can contain Lynch I think we have the game. Nolan put a heck of a gameplan together against the likes of Peyton Manning, Eli Manning and Brees. Going against a rookie in the playoffs? I like our chances.

It's critical to contain Marshawn and force Wilson to try and win with his arm. As much as he's getting kudos in the media Wilson is a manager and nothing more. They've done a good job of asking him to do just enough over the last few weeks. They were running the ball on 3rd & 5 against Washington. The last thing they want is him being forced to make it happen against a ball-hawking secondary & Mike Nolan.

I only agree partially. The thing about Russell Wilson is that if he doesn't make his decision on his first read, he gets out of the pocket. And he if gets out of the pocket, he's dangerous as both a runner and a passer. So the Falcons need to keep him in the pocket, and I think they will.

Also, the guy just throws too beautiful of a deep ball for me to consider him a game manager. The ball comes out of his hand like a javelin. It's just gorgeous, and he's accurate too, so I hope our safeties are on their game back there.

And I'm sure they will be.

I only agree partially. The thing about Russell Wilson is that if he doesn't make his decision on his first read, he gets out of the pocket. And he if gets out of the pocket, he's dangerous as both a runner and a passer. So the Falcons need to keep him in the pocket, and I think they will.

Also, the guy just throws too beautiful of a deep ball for me to consider him a game manager. The ball comes out of his hand like a javelin. It's just gorgeous, and he's accurate too, so I hope our safeties are on their game back there.

Well if he gets out of hte pocket lets hope Spoon or Moore is shadowing him and hits him hard enough where he does not want to try it again.

Asante Samuel at his best in postseason

By Pat Yasinskas | Jan 8, 2013 5:39 PM

One of the reasons the Atlanta Falcons traded for Asante Samuel back in the spring was because the veteran cornerback knows how to win.

Samuel has been on two Super Bowl championship teams with New England and also spent time with Philadelphia. Samuel helped bring a swagger to the defense during the regular season. But history has shown Samuel might bring even more to the Falcons in the postseason.

Samuel has been one of the best regular-season cornerbacks of his era. But you could make a case that he’s among the all-time best defensive backs in the postseason.

Samuel is the NFL’s all-time leader with four interceptions returned for touchdowns in the postseason. He also holds the NFL record for interception return yards (227) in the postseason.

Samuel’s seven postseason interceptions tie him for sixth in NFL history and he trails only Ed Reed (eight) among active players. Among cornerbacks, Samuel ranks second only to Lester Hayes on the all-time list.

According to STATS LLC, Samuel’s 25 passes defensed in the postseason are the most by any player in the modern era.

I guess it did sound like I took a big dump on him and his talent and made him sound like Trent Dilfer. He has the tools and he might throw a good deep ball I just haven't seen a ton of that in the games I've seen. He's faster than I thought but I'm not as worried about him making it happen in the air unless he gets a ridiculous amount of time back there. Granted, that can happen with our pass rush and a mobile QB.

Never...ever say a man throws a beautiful gorgeous ball.

The thing about Russell Wilson is that if he doesn't make his decision on his first read, he gets out of the pocket. And he if gets out of the pocket, he's dangerous as both a runner and a passer. So the Falcons need to keep him in the pocket, and I think they will.

I agree with your points, and this one in particular. I think striking a balance between putting pressure and keeping contain on Wilson is the key to a successful Falcons defense. Even more so than limiting Lynch, who'll likely get his yards regardless.

Never...ever say a man throws a beautiful gorgeous ball.

LOL but it is though.

The first one that I really noticed was even an incomplete pass that he threw against the Niners a couple of weeks ago. NBC did super slow mo on the replay from the endzone and the ball just had a majestic flight to it.

But the Niners broke that one up. Not much else went right for them that night though.