Archie Manning: Falcons' Matt Ryan Not A 'choker'

Mega Flare

If anyone is convinced, it should be the father of two elite QB's we beat this year! tongue.png

Archie Manning: Falcons' Matt Ryan not a 'choker' (NFL.com)

"Peyton went through it at Tennessee because they didn't beat Florida, and (Ryan is) going through it now with his playoff record," Manning told USA Today. "But this is not Tom vs. Peyton, or Aaron vs. Matt. It isn't tennis. It isn't golf. Ninety to 95 percent of the time, it's the best team wins, not the best quarterback. You get to the point of labeling people chokers or losers, and that's not fair. It's one of the worst things in sports."

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Manning that it probably isn't fair to label Matt Ryan a choker.

But...it's ridiculous to dismiss that the concept of "choking" isn't real, which is what he seems to be doing.

There are a multitude of examples of athletes just completely folding under pressure.

So true. But Archie's words will carry no weight with the Ryan haters in here, regardless of what happens Sunday and/or the rest of the post season.

You can't reason with people who choose not to listen to it. I've learned to not even respond to them with legitimate stuff because they're either trolling or just so biased it's not worth my time.

I don't like the word "choker," but there's simply no denying that Matt has not played at his best when the pressure is highest. It's been true ever since college. (Don't get my meaning wrong here. He's absolutely fantastic at pressure points WITHIN a game. When we need a game-winning drive, for example. What I'm talking about is when the game itself is a "pressure" one.)

I genuinely believe it ends Sunday, though. Matt's never played as well as he has this season.

It's time.

Which reinforces the commonly held opinion that the QB gets too much credit when things go well and too much blame when they don't.

I think every game is different. Sometimes it's true, sometimes it isn't.

Like, in the 2010 game with GB, Rodgers deserved every bit of the credit he could be given.

I don't like the word "choker," but there's simply no denying that Matt has not played at his best when the pressure is highest. It's been true ever since college.

I genuinely believe it ends Sunday, though. Matt's never played as well as he has this season.

It's time.

Which may be this difference this time around.

BTW, don't know if I've said this before, but great signaturebiggrin.png

Classiest "famous" person I've ever had contact with...I was a huge Archie Manning fan when I was a kid (being from Mississippi and all). He wrote me a letter telling me tips and drills to perform if I wanted to become a quarterback....Did a painting of him 15-20 years ago...Thought I would meet him at his office in New Orleans, but he was away doing some promotional work for the Saints...Left the painting and some prints for him to sign....He not only signed and mailed the prints to me, but called me here in Atlanta....we talked for about 5 minutes or so...

Just a really nice man, classy as all get out, and would have racked up unbelievable stats if he had been on a Steeler or Cowboy team from the beginning of his pro career....Unlike Eli and Peyton, Archie could run....seriously run......He was Steve Young before there was a Steve Young.

It's not about choking. Its more about putting the team in position to win a post season game. Matt Ryan has not done that yet with his play . Even the best QBs in today's game have had some pretty lousy playoff performances yet there team was still able to pull out a victory . I's going to take the entire Falcons team to beat the Seahawks. The praise and criticism will always fall under the QB. Ryan can go out there and pass for 300 yards and 3 TDS and play a heck of a game but if he comes up small late in game and Falcons don't have success he will take the blunt of the criticism .Maybe, Ryan goes out there on Sunday and plays a crappy game filled with turnovers and miscues yet the Atlanta Falcons find a way to win cause of Mike Nolan on defense but when Ryan is called upon late to make a play to help us win he does so .

For all the talk of Peyton Manning and his playoff failures he has the same QB rating and passing yards thrown as Tom Brady in the playoffs . Peyton Manning had early struggles in post season but since then he has played pretty well. The problem is selective memory . As Falcon fans we see Peyton Manning as a so called "CHOKER" cause his pick 6 sealed the deal for the Saints to win their first championship .

I can't blame Matt when we have an entire defense that in the past has routinely ran out of gas at half time. Why would I blame one person over the 11 on the other side of the ball? It is like saying:

Dear Young QB,

Please play perfect because if you don't we won't win. Hope you don't mind a ridiculous amount of pressure.

Sincerely,

Fans with unreasonable expectations.

Then ask the young qb to beat 2 world champions and 1 SB contender.

DUH!!

Classiest "famous" person I've ever had contact with...I was a huge Archie Manning fan when I was a kid (being from Mississippi and all). He wrote me a letter telling me tips and drills to perform if I wanted to become a quarterback....Did a painting of him 15-20 years ago...Thought I would meet him at his office in New Orleans, but he was away doing some promotional work for the Saints...Left the painting and some prints for him to sign....He not only signed and mailed the prints to me, but called me here in Atlanta....we talked for about 5 minutes or so...

Just a really nice man, classy as all get out, and would have racked up unbelievable stats if he had been on a Steeler or Cowboy team from the beginning of his pro career....Unlike Eli and Peyton, Archie could run....seriously run......He was Steve Young before there was a Steve Young.

Gritz JD2 again.Hey I know we are gonna win this week. I wanted to give u and suoes an idea for next week game whether its gb or sf. Falco remember's the time when he wasn't popular in his younger years,like a nerd actually and sf or gb gave him the worst wedgie ever.Two years later he's not the same Falco that every one believes he is. He the Falco of today and he is ready for some payback. What u think.

Hey Gritz I know we are gonna win this week. I wanted to give u and Supes an idea for next week game whether its gb or sf. Falco remember's the time when he wasn't popular in his younger years,like a nerd actually and sf or gb gave him the worst wedgie ever.Two years later he's not the same Falco that every one believes he is. He the Falco of today and he is ready for some payback. What u think.

But...it's ridiculous to dismiss that the concept of "choking" isn't real, which is what he seems to be doing.

How has he choked? For four years he was playing in an offense that was centered around the run game. We would pound the ball between the tackles and beat you with play action. If a defense shut Turner down, the offense fell apart, and not just in the playoffs.

Turner never ran for more than 42 yards in any of our three playoff losses. I'm not blaming him. I'm just saying it's foolish to say Ryan has choked when he was in an offense that absolutely needed a functioning running game. Look at his first four years- In Mularkey's offense, they never seemed to be able to win when someone shut the run game down. Now, take a look at this past year. In this offense, Ryan has been able to win without run support. I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that we now run screens. I dunno.