Offseason & Draft To Balance Our Hybrid Scheme

bigjmw84

FA:

Randy Starks- Can play DE/NT at a high level. Played under Nolan in Mia

Jarred Cook-Might not be as savvy as TG but will definately stretch the field more

Trade 1st, and 7th and pick up a 2nd,4th and swap 3rds

2nd:Margus Hunt-Raw, but would fit in nicely at LE and DT in Nickel Packages

2nd:Alvin Bailey- One of the most complete guards of the draft.

3rd:Brandon Jenkins- If it wasnt for his injury he would be a 1st or 2nd rounder. 3-4 OLB/4-3 RDE

4th: Gerald Hodges-Very high motor. Poor mans Spoon. Can play inside and out

4th:Tyran Mathews- I know.....I know....Could learn under Assante, and beast on ST

4th(comp):Michael Dyer-Despite his character concerns, you take a flyer. He has 1st round talent.

5th:Zac Stacy-Underrated RB who makes me think of Ray Rice.

6th:Denard Robinson-Would be explosive at WR/KR

QB:Ryan/Davis

FB:Ewing

RB:Quizz/Dyer/Stacy

TE:Cook/Palmer

WR:Roddy/Davis/Robinson

WR:Julio/HD

LT:Baker/Sviteck

LG:Blalock/Johnson

OC:Konz/Hawley

RG:Bailey/Reynolds

RT:Clabo/Holmes

( 3-4)

DE:Babs/Hunt

NT:Starks/Robertson

DE:Peters/Walker

OLB:Abe/Jenkins/Massaquoi

ILB: Spoon/Hodges/James

ILB:Nic/Dent/Schiller

OLB:Biermann/Hunt/Mathews

(4-3)

DE:Abe/Jenkins/Massaquoi

DT:Starks/Peters

DT:Babs/Walker/Robertson

DE:Bierman/Hunt/Mathews

WLB:Spoon/James

MLB:Dent/Schiller

SLB:Nicholas/Hodges

CB:Samuel/Owens/Mathew

FS:Decoud/T.Mathew

SS:Moore/Mitchell

CB:Robinson/McClain

Edited by bigjmw84

eh...I just don't trust Hunt. He has definite potential, but I don't want another Jamaal Anderson, and he reminds me way too much of him for me to be happy about the prospect of drafting him with our first pick. On top of that, I don't like it when mock drafts involve trades down because it just seems like a cop out. You also didn't address one of, if not our biggest position of need, which is an every down DT who can stop the run and rush the passer. Just not my kind of draft. Not a bad one, just not one that would make that huge of a difference in my opinion.

It was a tough choice between Hunt and Okafor, but i chose Hunt because he has such a high Ceiling. Okafor is a guy who I think could make noise pretty early in his career. Randy Starks is that DT you are looking for. Miami has been very stout against the run and he had alot to do with that. 6-5 312 and very disruptive at DE or NT. I think we all have been scarred by the Jamaal Anderson pick, but i dont know if i want to pass on a guy with his potentiall because of Ludasack. Im hyped for the combine this season. Their are alot of sleepers, and players at postion of need.

what gives Hunt such a high ceiling? He's tall. That's all I've seen. He was not particularly productive in a conference with not particularly stellar offensive lines and there's nothing about him other than his height that stands out particularly much as far as athleticism goes. He's fairly fast, has a fairly decent first step, struggles to disengage from blocks...if he was 6'3 he'd be a 4th round pick at best.

Also, every team in the NFL saw what Randy Starks did this season and he'll be drawing a pretty good sized contract. We might not even be able to afford him. If you'd rather get a DT though free agency than the draft, Desmond Bryant and Sammie Lee Hill are more along the lines of the types of players we'd go after.

what gives Hunt such a high ceiling? He's tall. That's all I've seen. He was not particularly productive in a conference with not particularly stellar offensive lines and there's nothing about him other than his height that stands out particularly much as far as athleticism goes. He's fairly fast, has a fairly decent first step, struggles to disengage from blocks...if he was 6'3 he'd be a 4th round pick at best.

I hate this argument, its pretty weak (no offense). Everyone said that if Alphonso Smith was two inches taller he'd have been a Top 10 pick, and how has he turned out since he isn't two inches taller? If Tyler Eifert was 6'3 instead of 6'6 he'd be a 4th round pick at best as well -- but guess what. Eifert isn't 6'3. Neither is Hunt.

Hunt is 6'7 with immense upside. Why so much upside? He has as high a motor as any DL in the draft, he is stronger than every DL in the draft and many in the NFL, he is quick, and he has great instincts using his hand to pat down balls. You don't become the career all-time NCAA leader in blocked field goals just by being tall otherwise every year someone really tall would threaten to break the record. You need to have power and ability and a sense of when and how to block it. He can certainly bring that ability on the line in batting down passes much like JJ Watt does.

Yes his height is the first thing that stands out because that's all you know, but what's more impressive is his strength. Just wait for the combine, this guy is going to absolutely destroy it. Then you've got closing speed. And a high motor. He is raw in technique, but he can improve. Unlike most high "upside" picks just based on athleticism, this guy has a work ethic and a serious motor. Guys like this don't pan out when they rely on their natural ability, take plays off, and only go for the big play in between. Hunt absolutely dominated his bowl game on every snap, and when he wasn't making a highlight play he was hustling down the ball.

Maybe he doesn't turn out to be anything, but I think he can really be something special in time. His ideal role wouldn't be too dissimilar from Bruce Irvin's his rookie year -- rotate in behind a good DE crew to learn the system and improve. Irvin was considered a "reach" because he didnt have the stats but his athletic upside was off the chart. Hunt is similar, and he is newer to the game than Irvin. Plus, Irvin is a blindside pass rusher only and Hunt has the ability to be a 3 down 4-3 LDE or a 3-4 weakside DE.

Best case scenario -- a mix of Patrick Kerney and JJ Watt. Worst case -- Derrick Harvey IF someone drafts him to start right away.

Ideally we can sign or trade for an LDE (Cliff Avril) and draft Hunt in the first 2 rounds. Having Abe, Avril, Hunt, and Biermann plus Jo-Mass is great depth/rotation.

Alvin Bailey is projected to be a 4th round pick, although I agree he is a very good RG prospect. You can probably take him in the 4th instead of Hodges and grab a superior ILB prospect in the 2nd if you want one (Arthur Brown maybe).

I like the idea, but I hate Brandon Jenkins. He reminds me way too much of Everette Brown. Just speed, no real moves or physicality. Swap that out for his much more physical and perhaps even more athletic teammate Tank Carradine (also hurt) and I'm sold. I think Tank would have been a surefire 1st rounder if he hadn't gotten hurt. His upside is probably higher than Werner's if he can come back 100% which he should be able to.

It's a shame that I love so many currently injured players in this draft. It's almost like trading middle round picks for 2014 1st rounders in my mind if we take them, which I don't disagree with. We don't really have that many open starting spots considering we're a very good team. We need a DT, DEs, RB, TE and an OG.

Taking RB Marcus Lattimore and DE Tank Carradine certainly help to fill those long term with top talents, and those are probably 3rd and 4th round picks. Double down on DEs by taking Ansah/Hunt in the 1st and a guard in the 2nd, sign a DT like Starks or Glenn Dorsey in the offseason as well as Jared Cook....seems like we've done a good job no? My opinion is that we don't need an OG if we can just move Clabo inside and let Holmes take over RT, which would also allow us to maybe use our 2nd round pick on a slot WR (Tavon Austin/Stedman Bailey). Hmmmm

I hate this argument, its pretty weak (no offense). Everyone said that if Alphonso Smith was two inches taller he'd have been a Top 10 pick, and how has he turned out since he isn't two inches taller? If Tyler Eifert was 6'3 instead of 6'6 he'd be a 4th round pick at best as well -- but guess what.

Eifert isn't 6'3. Neither is Hunt.

Hunt is 6'7 with immense upside. Why so much upside? He has as high a motor as any DL in the draft, he is stronger than every DL in the draft and many in the NFL, he is quick, and he has great instincts using his hand to pat down balls. You don't become the career all-time NCAA leader in blocked field goals just by being tall otherwise every year someone really tall would threaten to break the record. You need to have power and ability and a sense of when and how to block it. He can certainly bring that ability on the line in batting down passes much like JJ Watt does.

Yes his height is the first thing that stands out because that's all you know, but what's more impressive is his strength. Just wait for the combine, this guy is going to absolutely destroy it. Then you've got closing speed. And a high motor. He is raw in technique, but he can improve. Unlike most high "upside" picks just based on athleticism, this guy has a work ethic and a serious motor. Guys like this don't pan out when they rely on their natural ability, take plays off, and only go for the big play in between. Hunt absolutely dominated his bowl game on every snap, and when he wasn't making a highlight play he was hustling down the ball.

Maybe he doesn't turn out to be anything, but I think he can really be something special in time. His ideal role wouldn't be too dissimilar from Bruce Irvin's his rookie year -- rotate in behind a good DE crew to learn the system and improve. Irvin was considered a "reach" because he didnt have the stats but his athletic upside was off the chart. Hunt is similar, and he is newer to the game than Irvin. Plus, Irvin is a blindside pass rusher only and Hunt has the ability to be a 3 down 4-3 LDE or a 3-4 weakside DE.

Best case scenario -- a mix of Patrick Kerney and JJ Watt. Worst case -- Derrick Harvey IF someone drafts him to start right away.

Ideally we can sign or trade for an LDE (Cliff Avril) and draft Hunt in the first 2 rounds. Having Abe, Avril, Hunt, and Biermann plus Jo-Mass is great depth/rotation.

I concur.

Alvin Bailey is projected to be a 4th round pick, although I agree he is a very good RG prospect. You can probably take him in the 4th instead of Hodges and grab a superior ILB prospect in the 2nd if you want one (Arthur Brown maybe).

I like the idea, but I hate Brandon Jenkins. He reminds me way too much of Everette Brown. Just speed, no real moves or physicality. Swap that out for his much more physical and perhaps even more athletic teammate Tank Carradine (also hurt) and I'm sold. I think Tank would have been a surefire 1st rounder if he hadn't gotten hurt. His upside is probably higher than Werner's if he can come back 100% which he should be able to.

It's a shame that I love so many currently injured players in this draft. It's almost like trading middle round picks for 2014 1st rounders in my mind if we take them, which I don't disagree with. We don't really have that many open starting spots considering we're a very good team. We need a DT, DEs, RB, TE and an OG.

Taking RB Marcus Lattimore and DE Tank Carradine certainly help to fill those long term with top talents, and those are probably 3rd and 4th round picks. Double down on DEs by taking Ansah/Hunt in the 1st and a guard in the 2nd, sign a DT like Starks or Glenn Dorsey in the offseason as well as Jared Cook....seems like we've done a good job no? My opinion is that we don't need an OG if we can just move Clabo inside and let Holmes take over RT, which would also allow us to maybe use our 2nd round pick on a slot WR (Tavon Austin/Stedman Bailey). Hmmmm

Thought bailey had an earlier draft grade than the 4th. Warford flying up boards will take him out our range, and Fredrick is a liability in pass pro. Bailey seems like one of the best all around guards in the draft. I prefer Caradine, but I'm weary of drafting him bcuz of his recent acl tear. Trent Murphy would have been nice if he came out.

I would like Jon Bostic as a inside linebacker you can get in the second or third.

Thought bailey had an earlier draft grade than the 4th. Warford flying up boards will take him out our range, and Fredrick is a liability in pass pro. Bailey seems like one of the best all around guards in the draft. I prefer Caradine, but I'm weary of drafting him bcuz of his recent acl tear. Trent Murphy would have been nice if he came out.

I think the fact that Bailey has only played RG will lower his value. 4th sounds right but he is a pretty good RG and would lock down that position for a few years.

I would be willing to take Mathieu and Dyer but I doubt Td takes 2 guys with character concerns. Maybe Mathieu because his only problem is weed but I'm not sure about Dyer although I like him. Stacy is a good back. He's got decent size and speed. Robinson would be fan favorite if he was put on the field. Robiskie could probably make him a decent receiver. He maybe could play some tailback.