A Piece I Wrote On The Falcons Against The Seahawks

ChickenBiscuit

The Seahawks defense in recent weeks has been revered as the absolute #1 best defense in the league. They held the 11th ranked passing offense 49ers to 13, Patriots to 23 and Packers (Sketchy game) to 12. Overall, they have looked fantastic on paper against these teams, and when you're stating facts and stats, this is probably the most frightening one.

But once you take into context the situational environments of these teams, one by one, it starts to seem less invincible. I'll start with the week 16 49ers.

The 49ers coming into the game had all of their starters ready and had practiced all week for the game. The Seahawks dropped 42 on the 49ers with ease while the 49ers struggled to score any kind of points. This is where context comes in:

The 49ers are ranked 23rd overall in passing, that's with Mario Manningham, Vernon Davis and Frank Gore all healthy. Factor in the inexperienced project QB at the center of the offense and you have a very unproductive 49ers offense throwing to Randy Moss as their #1. Let's just put it this way: If the 49ers had that offense all season long, they might very well not be in the playoffs. And when you're defense is forcing a terribly injured offense 3 and out every drive, it gives your offense a lot of time to beat up on a defense missing it's core player. ONe of the best 3-4 DEs of all time, IMO.

The Seahawks also match up well with the packers, they had a completely healthy defense against a terrible offensive line with receivers that Richard Sherman and Browner match up very well with. Randall Cobb and Greg Jennings are wonderful receivers but when they are put up against large physical CBs who's sole purpose is stuffing the WRs long enough to get pressure, it causes big issues for a team like the Packers.

Then you have the Falcons. The Falcons are a team with an average OL, but they are not going up against the same DL that other teams have seem. RG3 and the Redskins dropped 14 early before Griffin was halted to an abrupt end. Browner looked completely out of form in the WAS game which gives the Falcons tape to study. On paper, the Falcons offense vs the Seahawks defense is about the only offense that matches up very well with them at this point of the season.

This is the part that strikes me, and it's something that I said earlier in my post. The sole purpose of the large, physical CBs such as Browner and Sherman are for jabbing and stuffing the WRs at the line long enough to get pressure using all of your weapons on the DL. When you're missing your two best pass rushers (Jason and Clemons) against a team that has receivers that match the absolute best against these CBs, it puts your scheme to a major adjustment period. Sherman and Browner will have to cover Julio for an even longer time, which they will have a hard time doing because even if you double cover both or even one, it will leave open holes for the other weapons such as GOAT at TE and Rodgers/Douglas as change of pace scheme players.

Another main part is the fact that the Falcons are at home, against a team who has struggled on the road. Not only that, but the Falcons are top 5 in scoring, and top 5 in turnovers with an equivalent turnover ratio. Several teams have run all over Atlanta and I have said it once and I will say it again: Running the ball on us effectively is not the key to success. The Cowboys, Redskins, Bucs (when we beat them, even when they beat us they only scored 22) and even Saints the second time ran all over us and still lost. Being able to stop our passing threat is the key, without that, we will ultimately fail, and miserably. The problem with that is, it is and has been proven extremely difficult to hold the Falcons under 285 yards passing, and only so many times has it been under 300. And when you're scheme isn't fitted the way that it normally is made to stop the pass, it will be proven extremely difficult to stop a team that is built to pass the ball effectively, especially with such phenomenal weapons on the outside.

Why the Falcons are underdogs in this game, I have absolutely 0 idea why.

Edited by ChickenBiscuit

The Seahawks defense in recent weeks has been revered as the absolute #1 best defense in the league. They held the 11th ranked passing offense 49ers to 13, Patriots to 23 and Packers (Sketchy game) to 12. Overall, they have looked fantastic on paper against these teams, and when you're stating facts and stats, this is probably the most frightening one.

But once you take into context the situational environments of these teams, one by one, it starts to seem less invincible. I'll start with the week 16 49ers.

The 49ers coming into the game had all of their starters ready and had practiced all week for the game. The Seahawks dropped 42 on the 49ers with ease while the 49ers struggled to score any kind of points. This is where context comes in:

The 49ers are ranked 23rd overall in passing, that's with Mario Manningham, Vernon Davis and Frank Gore all healthy. Factor in the inexperienced project QB at the center of the offense and you have a very unproductive 49ers offense throwing to Randy Moss as their #1. Let's just put it this way: If the 49ers had that offense all season long, they might very well not be in the playoffs. And when you're defense is forcing a terribly injured offense 3 and out every drive, it gives your offense a lot of time to beat up on a defense missing it's core player. ONe of the best 3-4 DEs of all time, IMO.

The Seahawks also match up well with the packers, they had a completely healthy defense against a terrible offensive line with receivers that Richard Sherman and Browner match up very well with. Randall Cunningham and Greg Jennings are wonderful receivers but when they are put up against large physical CBs who's sole purpose is stuffing the WRs long enough to get pressure, it causes big issues for a team like the Packers.

Then you have the Falcons. The Falcons are a team with an average OL, but they are not going up against the same DL that other teams have seem. RG3 and the Redskins dropped 14 early before Griffin was halted to an abrupt end. Browner looked completely out of form in the WAS game which gives the Falcons tape to study. On paper, the Falcons offense vs the Seahawks defense is about the only offense that matches up very well with them at this point of the season.

This is the part that strikes me, and it's something that I said earlier in my post. The sole purpose of the large, physical CBs such as Browner and Sherman are for jabbing and stuffing the WRs at the line long enough to get pressure using all of your weapons on the DL. When you're missing your two best pass rushers (Jason and Clemons) against a team that has receivers that match the absolute best against these CBs, it puts your scheme to a major adjustment period. Sherman and Browner will have to cover Julio for an even longer time, which they will have a hard time doing because even if you double cover both or even one, it will leave open holes for the other weapons such as GOAT at TE and Rodgers/Douglas as change of pace scheme players.

Another main part is the fact that the Falcons are at home, against a team who has struggled on the road. Not only that, but the Falcons are top 5 in scoring, and top 5 in turnovers with an equivalent turnover ratio. Several teams have run all over Atlanta and I have said it once and I will say it again: Running the ball on us effectively is not the key to success. The Cowboys, Redskins, Bucs (when we beat them, even when they beat us they only scored 22) and even Saints the second time ran all over us and still lost. Being able to stop our passing threat is the key, without that, we will ultimately fail, and miserably. The problem with that is, it is and has been proven extremely difficult to hold the Falcons under 285 yards passing, and only so many times has it been under 300. And when you're scheme isn't fitted the way that it normally is made to stop the pass, it will be proven extremely difficult to stop a team that is built to pass the ball effectively, especially with such phenomenal weapons on the outside.

Why the Falcons are underdogs in this game, I have absolutely 0 idea why.

BIG FONT!