Telecommunications

rubber tuckie

What do you do in this field? My company works for DOD. We do pretty much everything - from structured cabling, AV, towers, some osp, the isp part of osp and some others. Mostly on military bases so I am always traveling, which I dont mind. However we are dead slow. I am not sure if it is because of the fiscal cliff or not though so we may run out of projects soon.

I haven't seen any military issued IPHONEs. Maybe chiefs or officers get them. I work mostly on air force bases. However, the airforce has the best of everything. I know some departments have IPADs issued and there are TVs everywhere!!! It is weird.. they are either killing thereselves with work or sitting around playing xbox. =P

The technical term for my job is Business System Tech. But I do a lot more. From Installing and repairing Dial tone and DSL to working with fiber to cell towers and Switches such as an old DMS 100 to installing Business PBX and Key systems. The only thing my job really doesn't do in the field is the construction part of the cabling system and the record/order keeping/tracking. Pretty much do all else. Why do you ask?

What do you do in this field? My company works for DOD. We do pretty much everything - from structured cabling, AV, towers, some osp, the isp part of osp and some others. Mostly on military bases so I am always traveling, which I dont mind. However we are dead slow. I am not sure if it is because of the fiscal cliff or not though so we may run out of projects soon.

I used to work in the telecommunications field. However, I was a field/service technician and later a data cabling technician with another company. Get used to the lulls in the work cycle, especially if it involves contractual work and travel. With one company, I would work 60 hours one week, 20 hours the next week, and none at all the following week. It happens.

I work in the Wireless Backhaul business. I will decline to name the company, but we provide ethernet backhaul from the provider switch to the cellsite. We service Verizon, Sprint and Metro PCS in the Atlanta Market. We will soon service T-Mobile and Southern Link. We also serve these customers in South Georgia, Florida and Alabama.

i have been working on a tower this week. taking down old heliax and putting up new ones and a few antennas. we have a lift though =D. We don't do much of that but have another tower project coming up soon. I thought those companies were starting to feed the towers with fiber now? I know some guys that own their company and all they do is splicing for backbone cable for towers.

I was just curious how everyone's workload was. If things get any slower it won't be good for me! But it seems like it may be picking up some. Some prjects are coming to fruition finally!