Beating Man Coverage With 8 In The Box

Ryan was quoted in his interview that he expects to see a lot of Man Coverage with 8 in the box to stop the run. Here are the ways to beat it which, if things go well for us, will lead to certain people having a big game.

#1 - Spread them out with multiple WR sets to force mismatches in space. Our Wr are EXCELLENT blockers that can block well on screens. Quick screens to Quizz could lead to big plays.

#2 - Crossing routes. The easiest way to beat press man is to rip underneath and release on a crossing route across the middle. The bad thing is that crossing routes take time and our line may not be able to provide it.

#3 - The big play. If our WR can beat their press, we could see a couple BIG deep plays. Back shoulder fades can work well too.

#4 - Play action to the TE or RB out of the backfield. If the formation dictates that the safety and OLB have run responsibilities on their side, you could see TG fake a run block and get down the seam wide open.

#5 - Off tackle runs using the WR to help crack safeties. This could help

The last thing to look for would be if they do the opposite and come out in a two deep zone. This opens up the run game. This could mean shorter passes, double moves, WR screens, and Turner having a bigger role.

Unless of course they can just beat us with their front seven.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So you expect a two deep shell with man under?

That is what teams have been doing to us all year.

We don't have a running game that commands 8 in the box and we have recievers that will need to be doubled or get help over the top.

Expect TG to have 2 on him all game

Pete Carrol came out and said that they would play man. I doubt that. Even a fan would be smart enough not to do that against Julio and Roddy. I think they will double somone and hope Irvin and their weakened pass rush rushes Ryan. Does anyone know Ryan's comp% when blitzed. Should see lots of that. They have nothing to lose and the loss of Clemons hurts.

Pete Carrol came out and said that they would play man. I doubt that. Even a fan would be smart enough not to do that against Julio and Roddy. I think they will double somone and hope Irvin and their weakened pass rush rushes Ryan. Does anyone know Ryan's comp% when blitzed. Should see lots of that. They have nothing to lose and the loss of Clemons hurts.

They will play man, if any team can do it against us it is them...

I think Roddy will be 1 on 1 all day.

Julio may get doubled with some over the top safety help because Browner is not as fast.

TG will get a few double teams.

HD should be 1 on 1

If our oline gets Matt time we will win.

They will play man, as they do every week. If we can pick up the pressure, and give Matt time, I really like our chances. If they have no faith in our run game, and drop back into coverage, it may be a long game.

Again, they can still play man under with two deep. That would not be good for us unless Turner and Quizz start gashing them and TG / HD can get loose.

Edited by hiawasseefalcon

I thought I read somewhere that the Redskins had success by not spreading them out and playing their receivers closer together. If we put our receivers in a bunch formation seems like it would be more difficult for their corners to press off the LOS. I'm sure Koetter will have design some plays to get our guys open in space.

They will play man, if any team can do it against us it is them...

I think Roddy will be 1 on 1 all day.

Julio may get doubled with some over the top safety help because Browner is not as fast.

TG will get a few double teams.

HD should be 1 on 1

If our oline gets Matt time we will win.

Teams have tried this all year. When they double one, the others get the job done. That is what is so special about the Falcons. We have two number one's and other threat that step up. Other teams, if you take their number one out, they are in for a long day. Pick your posion as the fellas would say.

Again, they can still play man under with two deep. That would not be good for us unless Turner and Quizz start gashing them and TG / HD can get loose.

They do not play 2 deep shell with man underneath. they play cover 1 with earl thomas roaming the back end. chancellor will be man to man on gonzo or something along those lines, but chancellor does not play deep half

I Like the falcons formation a lot of bunch set cuz u can't press when they are in a bunch set, one thing I notice about us not really running the ball gd is we don't run a lot wit a fb in the back field. I think it was against the saints or the bucs when we were having success running in the I-formation but wheN we went to the singleback formation our) kept getting met at the line of scrimmage. I think we will more of the I-formation with a a lot of playaction out of it.

Edited by turnerdburner

Teams have tried this all year. When they double one, the others get the job done. That is what is so special about the Falcons. We have two number one's and other threat that step up. Other teams, if you take their number one out, they are in for a long day. Pick your posion as the fellas would say.

True but Sherman may have the goods to be put on an island.

So they can take away one poison... but give Matt time, he will perform surgery.

Dude thats the best starting tandem of corners in the league. I don't think you'll see many blitzes from Seattle.

True but Sherman may have the goods to be put on an island.

So they can take away one poison... but give Matt time, he will perform surgery.

Not really but it's all about timely with their DB's.

To quote a Seahawk fan:

Number one, the scheme is simple. They either play off press, inside leverage, or outside leverage. Mostly inside leverage, so they can make QBs throw over them to the sidelines.

Number two, they are big enough to mess up timing of routes. Especially Browner. And both are big enough to make receivers get short arms if they are playing off press and the route is a short stick route. Turn your back to them and you start to wonder when the hit is coming. redirect a receiver off his route and odds are the QB will move along in his progressions.

Sherman has mastered the art of press and bail. Browner not so much. Both are really good at a lot of little grabs, so they get away with a lot of stuff that drives receivers nuts. It's hard to focus with those hands on you constantly.

Sherman is a former receiver, I think he knows where the pass is going just as much as the offense. See: baiting Brady, Sanchez, Kaepernick and Bradford into easy picks.

And they know Earl is over the top. Lets not forget just how much he allows them to cheat. Browner was beat on the ball Earl took from Griffen.

People like to call them shut down corners, but they aren't. They aren't Darelle Revis, you don't get to put them on the best receiver and just forget he exists.

Here is what is scary: give them a more consistent pass rush, and they will only be more dominant. Press cover gets real easy when you know the QB only has 2.5 seconds to get it out.

You guys are funny. You will have to prove you can run before we react to it. I get the feeling from the interviews I've seen and heard that Carroll is working on schemes to get to Ryan and make him hurry his throws. I haven't heard anything about your run game... because you don't have one.

If I was YOUR coach I would be VERY concerned about Lynch and the read option. If you finally get tired of the BEAST gaining 6-7 yards a carry that's when Wilson keys on the crashing DE and starts his excellent fakes and loops around your DE and scampers for 20 plus.

We want Ryan to try to beat us with his passing game. If your RBs don't get respectable yards they will be ignored for getting into Ryans face.