Yasinskas: Biermann's Versatility Key For Falcons

theProf

Biermann's versatility key for Falcons

Jan 9 2:36 PM ET

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

Kroy Biermann might not be the most famous athlete ever to come out of Montana’s Hardin High. But the defensive end for the Atlanta Falcons is the most successful athlete to come out of a high school that is legendary in another sport.

Hardin’s basketball program, particularly legendary Crow Indian Jonathan Takes Enemy, was featured in this 1991 story by Sports Illustrated’s Gary Smith, which may be one of best pieces of sports writing I’ve ever read.

At a high school where basketball was king, Biermann left the sport after his freshman year and focused on football and wrestling.

“Yeah, basketball was huge,’’ Biermann said in a telephone interview Wednesday. “But football and wrestling were pretty big deals, too. There wasn’t much else to do out there. If you didn’t play sports, you were going to have to work on the farm.’’

In high school, Biermann played linebacker, fullback, tailback, wide receiver and returned kickoffs and punts, which might help explain his current role as one of the NFL’s most versatile defensive ends.

Biermann, who beat out Ray Edwards for a starting job early in the season, is used in a variety of ways in coordinator Mike Nolan’s scheme.

At 6-foot-3 and 255 pounds, Biermann can play the run (he had 52 tackles in the regular season) and rush the passer (he had four sacks). But Biermann, who moves as well as some linebackers and also plays on special teams, is part of the reason the Falcons have had good success with their blitz packages.

Frequently, the Falcons drop Biermann into coverage and blitz a linebacker or defensive back.

“It’s a fun defense to play in,’’ Biermann said. “Coach Nolan’s playbook is a lot deeper than we’ve even shown. It’s fun, it’s exciting and it’s a fast-paced defense. He does a great job of putting us in position to make big plays.’’

“It’s a fun defense to play in,’’ Biermann said. “Coach Nolan’s playbook is a lot deeper than we’ve even shown. It’s fun, it’s exciting and it’s a fast-paced defense. He does a great job of putting us in position to make big plays.’’

I like the sound of that. wub.png

Biermann's versatility key for Falcons

Jan 9 2:36 PM ET

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

Kroy Biermann might not be the most famous athlete ever to come out of Montana’s Hardin High. But the defensive end for the Atlanta Falcons is the most successful athlete to come out of a high school that is legendary in another sport.

Hardin’s basketball program, particularly legendary Crow Indian Jonathan Takes Enemy, was featured in this 1991 story by Sports Illustrated’s Gary Smith, which may be one of best pieces of sports writing I’ve ever read.

At a high school where basketball was king, Biermann left the sport after his freshman year and focused on football and wrestling.

“Yeah, basketball was huge,’’ Biermann said in a telephone interview Wednesday. “But football and wrestling were pretty big deals, too. There wasn’t much else to do out there. If you didn’t play sports, you were going to have to work on the farm.’’

In high school, Biermann played linebacker, fullback, tailback, wide receiver and returned kickoffs and punts, which might help explain his current role as one of the NFL’s most versatile defensive ends.

Biermann, who beat out Ray Edwards for a starting job early in the season, is used in a variety of ways in coordinator Mike Nolan’s scheme.

At 6-foot-3 and 255 pounds, Biermann can play the run (he had 52 tackles in the regular season) and rush the passer (he had four sacks). But Biermann, who moves as well as some linebackers and also plays on special teams, is part of the reason the Falcons have had good success with their blitz packages.

Frequently, the Falcons drop Biermann into coverage and blitz a linebacker or defensive back.

Yeah I think we are going to see some funky **** out of the Defense this week

He played safety,LB,DE and is pretty versatile. Kroy Bierman doesn't have sacks to show but he forced 6 Interceptions this year with pressure on the QB. He also has most 3rd down stops in the running game among the DL this year.

He'd even have more sacks if he wasn't sharing time with Edwards.

Anyone one thinks this guy could be a monster like Clay Matthews?

I don't know about that but he is **** solid and as the article say versatile.

Reminds of one the coaches in high school always saying agile mobile and hostile.

Forgot who the poster was that pointed out Bierman when he was drafted. But he was absolutely right about him being a sleeper pick.

Nolan's Playbook is deeper than they have shown thus far, hmm interesting...

Now..now..TPTB here will be in here post haste to tell us the folly in the belief that NFL teams do not hold back for the post season...and deride us commoners for our ignorance.

Anyone that paid attention could see the birds holding back...the bigger their lead for the #1 seed..the more they held back. Smitty is notorious for this practice. IF one does not have to show unscouted looks...don't.

Now..now..TPTB here will be in here post haste to tell us the folly in the belief that NFL teams do not hold back for the post season...and deride us commoners for our ignorance.

Anyone that paid attention could see the birds holding back...the bigger their lead for the #1 seed..the more they held back. Smitty is notorious for this practice. IF one does not have to show unscouted looks...don't.

Smitty's been preaching efficient football since he got here. In an economic sense, efficiency is getting the most outputs out of your inputs. In a football sense, it means doing as little as possible to get the W.

I think Smitty and the coordinators will be going all out starting with Seattle.

Exactly, this is what I don't understand when people would presume that it's outside the realm of possibility that coordinators hold back schemes, plays, personnel packages and etc. for the playoffs. I think that's even more prudent in our situation being that these players haven't been in Koetter and Nolan's scheme for a full season yet, so as the season progress, the coaches will let the players digest their scheme and play calling gradually depending on their acceptance and understanding and most importantly execution of the respective coordinator playbook.

My personal belief, is that I've always though that every teams biggest weakness going in the playoffs is their film. What you've done throughout the year, your offensive and defensive schemes, you're playbook is there for all playoff teams to study, analyze and attack essentially your film. Especially on defense, I always though it was vital for theyre to be new wrinkles if you will. The old saying, 'if ain't broke don't fix it', will not serve you well in the NFL playoffs especially on defense. Defenses need to show something on game day to the offense that they either haven't seen from them or rarely seen, use the game film that they've studied and they've anticipated and possibly mastered on how to attack you that day, against them.