Help Me Understand The Impact Of Chris Clemons' Injury . . .

HolyMoses

OK, I get that he is third in the league with 11.5 sacks. That's pretty tough. But his replacement, rookie Bruce Irvin, is among the league leaders as well, with 8 sacks, which makes it appear that the Seahawks are not really losing that much with Clemons out.

However, Irvin only has a total of 17 tackles for he entire season, while the other starter at end, Red Bryant, has no sacks and 27 tackles, which makes it look like they are taking Bryant off and putting both Clemons and Irvin out there in passing situations.

If that is the case, It looks like the Seahawks have not only lost their best pass rusher, but they only have one real pass rushing threat. In other words, without Clemons drawing a double team, Irvin is unlikely to be nearly as effective.

Can anyone who has watched Seattle confirm?

Irvin isn't really his replacement.

Irvin was a guy getting snaps on passing downs anyway, and every down is a passing for the Falcons.

So now instead of having two good pass rushers on the field, the Seahawks only have one.

And he probably isn't a guy who plays the run that well if we run at him, and they are going to have a scrub at the other DE too, so you might see the Falcons running more in this game than you would normally expect.

The difference is Clemons could play the run as well, Irvin so far has been a liabilty here. Also Irvin is a solid pass rusher, but that is all he's had to do this season only coming in on passing downs. Now that Irvin has to play 3 downs he's going to be less effective getting to the QB due to fatigue. This injury takes away their best pass rusher and cripples the 2nd best pass rusher.

Irvin isn't really his replacement.

Irvin was a guy getting snaps on passing downs anyway, and every down is a passing for the Falcons.

So now instead of having two good pass rushers on the field, the Seahawks only have one.

And he probably isn't a guy who plays the run that well if we run at him, and they are going to have a scrub at the other DE too, so you might see the Falcons running more in this game than you would normally expect.

Yeah i pray I get to eat crow on turner.

Essentially, Irvin came in only on 3rd down or obvious pass situations and was a pass rushing expert.

With Clemens out, not only do the Seahawks lose their leading sack leader, but also Clemens run stuffing ability.

While Irvin may not be "awful" against the run, he is largely unproven to be an everydown Defensive End, and could be a liability in the running game. This could potentially open up Left side run plays as well as screens to that side.

The big deal, imho, is that Seattle's corner rely on being physical to throw off the timing of routes and let their DL get to the QB. However, their pass rush was still mediocre at best. With their best rusher gone, Ryan will have time to go through his reads and really rip apart the defense...the only way I've ever seen him struggle is under pressure, and he admittedly does so mightily. This is also great news for the run game, which will hopefully feature Quizz and Snelling more than usual.

Guest Negatorris

Most of Irvin's sacks came in the first part of the season. In his last 6 games he had only 1 sack. I don't know how he will perform as a starter, but Clemons was no doubt better. I've talked to some Seahawks fans who don't think they need him though.

OK, I get that he is third in the league with 11.5 sacks. That's pretty tough. But his replacement, rookie Bruce Irvin, is among the league leaders as well, with 8 sacks, which makes it appear that the Seahawks are not really losing that much with Clemons out.

However, Irvin only has a total of 17 tackles for he entire season, while the other starter at end, Red Bryant, has no sacks and 27 tackles, which makes it look like they are taking Bryant off and putting both Clemons and Irvin out there in passing situations.

If that is the case, It looks like the Seahawks have not only lost their best pass rusher, but they only have one real pass rushing threat. In other words, without Clemons drawing a double team, Irvin is unlikely to be nearly as effective.

Can anyone who has watched Seattle confirm?

kneescope.jpg

Seattle 8 Dline men combined for 26 sacks this season. 12 from Clemons who was an everydown player for the SH. Irvin comes in on passing downs and has 8 sacks. Irvin over pursues and gets pushed around easy. He is a good outside rusher but lacks the moves and experience to carry the load.

For the stat heads Seahawks avg 1.625 sacks per game with Clemons and .875 sacks without. Half of seattle's blitz and qb pressure is gone. With Clemons absence and rookie Bruce Irvin having to take a majority of the load for the first time this season Ryan should have all day to throw.

Clemons was their pass rush. Of course they are going to point to the Packers game as a rebuttal, but facts are facts. Irvin is not a 3 down player. That was the scouting report coming out of WVU and even still. He rarely played running downs in college and still doesn't now. Putting him in that role will diminish his return on passing downs. He's not strong at the point of attack. He is a good pass rusher, but he won't be playing every down. Remember when we played the Texans last year? Every time Abe came off the field, they would take a deep shot on us because the pass rush was non existent beyond him. Same thing now. The Seahawks run a 3 DT basically with Bryant, Mebane and Branch, with Mebane being the lightest at 311.

I think we'll see a fair share of zone early so Seattle can see who the offense is going to go through and then a switch to man. If they start off in man, it could be trouble for them if we keep Irvin at bay.