Douglas Could See More Return Work

Statick

Douglas Could See More Return Work

Jay Adams

Published January 9, 2013 at 10:12 AM

In the final game of the regular season against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Harry Douglas trotted out to the field to handle the team’s punt return duties, something he hadn’t done since his rookie season in 2008.

Douglas fielded four punts that day for an average of 10.5 yards per return and a long of 11 yards. Speaking to the media Tuesday, special teams coordinator Keith Armstrong said Douglas could return to the position in the postseason.

“There’s a chance Harry could be back there,” Armstrong said. “Obviously, we’ll have to look at that this week and go from there and see how the guys are doing in practice.”

Armstrong said the decision to put Douglas in the position during the regular season finale was just to move him around a bit and get some depth at the position.

Dominique Franks handled the punt return duties during the other 15 games, making 21 returns and 18 fair catches, while amassing a 7.8 yards per return average. His longest of the season is 28 yards.

If Franks is back there handling punts in a game of this magnitude that will tell

me all I need to know about Mike Smiths coaching ability. I just dont think it could be

possible that this coaching staff could even think of having Franks back there could it ??

Yep, this will be the final straw for me.

If Franks is back there handling punts in a game of this magnitude that will tell

me all I need to know about Mike Smiths coaching ability. I just dont think it could be

possible that this coaching staff could even think of having Franks back there could it ??

Hopefully not, because he's been nearly worthless as a punt returner.

I think it's exactly as was mentioned above, that they wanted to keep Douglas healthy because he's such important insurance should Roddy or Julio be unable to go, but now that it's playoff time, all hands on deck!

HD83 Always Returning please.......

the man loves the job and even better he backs himself to pull something out regardless if its an extra 10 yds or a visit to the house! I agree we need a bit more alacrity and devil may care in this department, lets face it we revel in short field situations.

I think it is weird that Keith Armstrong was getting interviews around the league when our special teams really didn't do anything great all year. Plus he just figured out in the last game of the season that Franks was not getting the job done at punt returner

I don't follow. Franks is anything but explosive, but he's never muffed a punt if I recall correctly.