How We Match Up With Seattle

Firstiary

I still think we're going to win this one. Our homefield advantage is incredible, and Seattle isn't a great road team (though they have been better on the road recently). They have to travel across the country two weeks in a row and play an early game. Before last week, the Seahawks hadn't won a road game since the early 80s. The Falcons are due to win a playoff game, especially at home. All of the talking heads expect us to lose, which I think is a good sign because they aren't giving us enough credit.

They're missing their best pass rusher (though Irvin might be real good). They have kicking questions. We seem to be pretty healthy, knock on wood. We had a week off after a home game. Michael Turner says this is the healthiest he's ever been at this time of the year. Willy Mo is critical to stopping a great running team and he's back.

Matt Ryan has been spectacular this year and very accurate. If his head is in the game, he should be able to throw the ball into some tight windows. He seems too good to lose his first four playoff games (knock on wood). We've started to work Quizz into the passing game too, and he's dangerous. Tony G desperately wants a playoff win. Of course, we have incredible weapons on offense.

Our new coordinators on D and O have been just what the doctor ordered. You know they're licking their chops with a great gameplan for this week.

On the other hand, Seattle is a bad matchup for us. Lynch is going to be a big problem. Their defense should be able to limit our passing attack. I don't know if we can run the ball with Turner or not; he's not the same guy he used to be. Wilson is a rookie, but he plays with incredible poise and confidence. And Matt Ryan has even more pressure on his mind this time.

But I think there are a crap-ton of X factors on our side for this game. This team has been putting in a lot of work for years under Smith. It just feels like we're due, and like we deserve better than another loss. Then again, Seattle is probably better their record shows.

On paper, this hot Seattle team is a brutal matchup for us. How do you think we're going to overcome what looks on paper like a worst case scenario team for us to play?

Stay humble. Stay hungry.

Edited by Firstiary

Let me put on a disguise.

ph34r.png Seattle is a terrible match-up for us. Our worst nightmare. Bad luck, four playoffs in a row. No way we can win with Lynch running at us and their big secondary shutting down our passing attack. ph34r.png

LOL !!

Thats how you get responses around here. Go be a dooshbag and all of the sudden the dam breaks. tongue.png

I don't know that it's necessarily a "bad" matchup for us. You're right that containing Lynch is going to be an issue, but I think that our speedy defense matches up very well against the read option. Lynch is the type of back that we may be more successful against than expected because he's not a real shifty cutback runner, and fitting that cutback has been a nightmare for us this year. The biggest issue with Lynch is getting him to the ground, he is incredibly powerful and breaks a ton of tackles. If we can get him to the ground consistently it will be okay.

I think our passing offense is going to give them fits. Granted, they have a good secondary but I give a definite edge to our "weaponry"... if they are going to try to match up one on one with Julio and Roddy, it's going to be a nightmare on their end. We need to be able to run the ball just well enough to keep them honest and work the play action. Play action and double moves are going to be killer against this defense. Factor in the loss of Clemons and their pass rush should be containable, giving Matt enough time to carve them apart. Ryan has been extraordinarily accurate this year and I feel good about our pass o against their pass d.

On Defense, Marshawn Lynch is the only matchup that worries me. If we try and get cute with the kill shots, he's going to get 200 yards.

On Offense, It doesn't matter who we play, I'm going to be concerned about 2 things: Interior OL, and Michael Turner. I actually like our Receivers. People argue that because their DBs are big,it's an advantage for Seattle, I disagree. This will be the best Receiver Corps they've seen.

I hate how people are saying that Seattle's corners are a bad matchup for the Falcons receivers.

Couldn't it be possible that the Falcons receivers are a bad matchup for Seattle's corners?

They have never met a WR tandem like this all season. They faced Welker and Loyd and gave up 218 yards combined to them.

Edited by DawnOfThemBirds

I don't know that it's necessarily a "bad" matchup for us.

It does look that way to me. I'm concerned this could be like playing Carolina with a good defense. I'm still optimistic, but at the same time I think this could go badly for us. I have faith in our coaching stuff to get the team ready for the fight of their lives, though.

It does look that way to me. I'm concerned this could be like playing Carolina with a good defense. I'm still optimistic, but at the same time I think this could go badly for us. I have faith in our coaching stuff to get the team ready for the fight of their lives, though.

The Falcons had a hard time with Carolina because Cam is 6'5 250lbs and the Falcons struggled with getting him down. The offense also started out slow and did not pickup until the 2nd half of the 3rd quarter.

The Falcons had a hard time with Carolina because Cam is 6'5 250lbs and the Falcons struggled with getting him down. The offense also started out slow and did not pickup until the 2nd half of the 3rd quarter.

Nolan himself even said it in his interview yesterday. Every big run he made there was a problem with tackling on first contact. It was mainly due to his size and partly to lack of effort. Hard to blame a person like Samuel for not going all out on Cam Newton in a game that doesn't mean a whole lot.

A person Wilson's size is not even in the same conversation. Brent Grimes could suplex him.