One Major Pt About Our Defense That No One Is Talking About

jdawg4876

I know we dont have star power like other teams, but one major pt folks forget is how banged up our defense has been this yr.

1.before the season even started lofa tore his peck muscles working out. dude is gone. after seeing what our defensive scheme was this yr I think he would have been pretty beast.

2. corey peters did not play til week 6 or 7 was on pup list, he is one of our best DTs. he is back and full force

3. sean missed several games this yr, he is the brain and heart of our defense. he is back

4. asante playing with one arm for like 4 games, if sean is the heart than asante is the soul and swagger. he is back near 100 percent

5. Dunta knocking himself out. dude is not a shutdown corner but in my opinion earned his money this yr pt blank period. he is back

6. william moore our hammer has not played in what 5 games. he is back.

7. chris owens has been banged up all yr, while he is not great dude has been solid for us.

8. finally brent grimes we lost him for the season first game, yet we still are winning

so whats the pt of all of this. our defense has not been full strength much of the yr and we still went 13-3 and gave up the fewest passing tds, and were 5th in defensive scoring. now for the playoffs we seem to be back near a 100 percent on defense and we got a great DC in mike nolan. Im rolling with the defense.

for the record I do think we will give up a lot of yds but not a lot of pts. our defense has been money at home.

Edited by jdawg4876

Dent has picked up the slack pretty well as he got more reps. Good to seem him making tackles in the backfield for loss. Its pretty much the same for most of the defensive position where next man picked it up.

I think that Dent will be a huge factor in stopping the Seahawks offense because he will have to make sure the he swarms to Lynch and get him down on first contact because it will get ugly if he is not able to make tackles on first contact.

Edited by DawnOfThemBirds

I think that Dent will be a huge factor in stopping the Seahawks offense because he will have to make sure the he swarms to Lynch and get him down on first contact because it will get ugly if he is not able to make tackles on first contact.

Yep and all our LB will have hands full with a mobile QB in addition to a beat RB.

Edited by falcons007

Good post OP I had an arguement with a friend of mine whose a Bears fan.

Regardless of injury its next man up nobody cares or feels sorry for you if your players get injured,its all part of the game.

I know our defense will show up this week MS & the coaching staff have been counting down to redemption day.

Man I can't wait for this game.

Point of original post: You won't beat Atlanta easily in their place with a play-making defense like the Falcons have just straight up by yards alone.

While the NFC West is built upon/around best running offense vs. most physical defense; the Falcons have played in a division like that for years and used to be such a run first/defend the run team.

However, while the drop off in 'yardage' and even big plays in the run D remained at times this year it doesn't mean Atlanta is 'bad' against the run.

Most of the yardage has been a result of giving up 'nearly' or THE most long rushing plays. This has been a function of two things; a) new defensive system which new players took adjusting to which moves them around a lot pre-snap and can cause gap integrity issues(this leads obviously to blockers on the 2nd level and an untouched RB, and is definitely a problem with an 'undersized' defense that relies on speed but gets it used against them in such scenarios), and b ) teams choosing to run more against Atlanta while the Falcons preferred trying hybrid defensive fronts with a nickel/sub-package D.

Atlanta won't need to be in such defense up front and should be using a more traditional base defense; despite hybrid variations and situational packages/defensive calls, to stop the run on 1st down.

If this happens, it will take scrambling and long-story short a big day passing by Wilson for Seattle to keep up, save that they somehow shut down a more threatening offense.

Coaching advantage: Atlanta.

I know we dont have star power like other teams, but one major pt folks forget is how banged up our defense has been this yr.

1.before the season even started lofa tore his peck muscles working out. dude is gone. after seeing what our defensive scheme was this yr I think he would have been pretty beast.

2. corey peters did not play til week 6 or 7 was on pup list, he is one of our best DTs. he is back and full force

3. sean missed several games this yr, he is the brain and heart of our defense. he is back

4. asante playing with one arm for like 4 games, if sean is the heart than asante is the soul and swagger. he is back near 100 percent

5. Dunta knocking himself out. dude is not a shutdown corner but in my opinion earned his money this yr pt blank period. he is back

6. william moore our hammer has not played in what 5 games. he is back.

7. chris owens has been banged up all yr, while he is not great dude has been solid for us.

8. finally brent grimes we lost him for the season first game, yet we still are winning

so whats the pt of all of this. our defense has not been full strength much of the yr and we still went 13-3 and gave up the fewest passing tds, and were 5th in defensive scoring. now for the playoffs we seem to be back near a 100 percent on defense and we got a great DC in mike nolan. Im rolling with the defense.

for the record I do think we will give up a lot of yds but not a lot of pts. our defense has been money at home.

One more thing I don't know if anyone has noticed but P Jerry is getting stronger as well. The last 3 or 4 games he's been very disruptive and flushing the qb out of the pocket. Almost back to normal. One more notch and he'll actually be turning some of those rushes into sacks. He's actually to the point where Nolan had him dropping in coverage. That tells me his knee is getting stronger and stronger each week. Seems to be about 90% of his rookie self.