Nolan's Defensive Strategy This Week

Atlbirdawg

I think the addition of Nolan and Koetter were 2 of the best hires this franchise has made since, well Mike Smith. This year we have seen several different looks from Nolan's defenses that really help hide our deficiencies, maximize our strengths, and confuse opposing QB's and O-lines. Beating the Seahawks starts with stopping their running game, both Lynch and Wilson, that has been our biggest weakness this year. I'm really hoping Nolan is working on a variance of his ameba defense that mixes a lot of blitz packages, 8 men box, and QB spy. I'd prefer to see more Safety spy than Spoon as I think he's important to stop the run. I feel our CBs can play a ton of man coverage with single safety help and be very effective. What do you think Nolan is cooking up to stop this offense?

Edited by Atlbirdawg

In passing situations we will be blitzing just about every time. The numbers show that Wilson is significantly worse when the defense sends 5 or more guys. I doubt the amoeba can be effective vs. the run. I think scheme takes a back seat to fundamentals as far as stopping Lynch is concerned.

I think the addition of Nolan and Koetter were 2 of the best hires this franchise has made since, well Mike Smith. This year we have seen several different looks from Nolan's defenses that really help hide our deficiencies, maximize our strengths, and confuse opposing QB's and O-lines. Beating the Seahawks starts with stopping their running game, both Lynch and Wilson, that has been our biggest weakness this year. I'm really hoping Nolan is working on a variance of his ameba defense that mixes a lot of blitz packages, 8 men box, and QB spy. I'd prefer to see more Safety spy than Spoon as I think he's important to stop the run. I feel our CBs can play a ton of man coverage with single safety help and be very effective. What do you think Nolan is cooking up to stop this offense?

The only way Seattle beats us on offense is by running the ball effectively. I expect Nolan to dial up a stop the run first type of scheme. I expect to see a lot of Willy Mo in or near the box in the first half.

Our d-line has to play their lanes in this game to keep Wilson from running and let Spoon and Nicolas bring the wood along with Willy Mo.

Decoud will probably cover their tight end and our corners will have a lot of man coverage.

I think this would be the most logical way to slow their run game down.

The one thing that worries me about blitzing Wilson is if he's allowed to break contain, Cam Newton ate is us up when he scrambled but I also think Carolina is more of a passing threat than the Seahawks. Our guys have to stay disciplined in their assignments.

Cam is also tough as nails to bring down. Our tackling isn't always the greatest.

If we play a lick of run defense, I think we win this game soundly. We gave Brees and the Mannings their worst performances of the year. Those guys combined to throw 1 TD and 10 INTs in the dome. We held the Giants and Saints to their lowest scoring outputs of the season, and the Broncos to their second lowest.

Nolan knows how to scheme against good QBs.

I'm not too hot on playing a ton of man coverage with our corners. Asante likes to guess and a double move on man coverage with no safety help is death an Dunta gets beat repeatedly in man coverage. I know russell makes bad throws most of the time but if he hits one receiver deep thats a game changer

I'm not too hot on playing a ton of man coverage with our corners. Asante likes to guess and a double move on man coverage with no safety help is death an Dunta gets beat repeatedly in man coverage. I know russell makes bad throws most of the time but if he hits one receiver deep thats a game changer

Nolan doesn't like to play a lot of man anyway....not in the big games.

And he's not going to play much man coverage in this game with the way Russell runs.

Nolan doesn't like to play a lot of man anyway....not in the big games.

And he's not going to play much man coverage in this game with the way Russell runs.

Exactly.

IMO we have been at our best when playing zone defense this season, and we will need our CBs in run support vs. the seahawks if we wish to stop their running game, so I think we're going to play more zone than man.

I'm thinking we might see the 3 DT set a lot in this game..

Edited by niels petersen

The one thing that worries me about blitzing Wilson is if he's allowed to break contain, Cam Newton ate is us up when he scrambled but I also think Carolina is more of a passing threat than the Seahawks. Our guys have to stay disciplined in their assignments.

That's an excellent point. I've been saying all year that our problems occur when our guys aren't discipline in their gaps and tackling.

Nolan will bait Wilson the same as he did both Mannings and Brees. He'll show them one thing and when the ball is snapped it will be something completely different. I gotta feeling Biermann will be big in this game. If we can get pressure up the middle it will be a long day for Wilson.

The problem that the Falcons had with containing Cam was that he is 6'5 250 pounds. The Falcons did good at containing RG3 because he can be brought down by a single tackler.

The problem with Cam Newton is his size. He is too big for LB and too fast for DE to chase him. Wilson is more like RG III when we played skins. It will be another dimension with mobile QB but Wilson lacks the size of Cam Newton.

The problem that the Falcons had with containing Cam was that he is 6'5 250 pounds. The Falcons did good at containing RG3 because he can be brought down by a single tackler.

LOL. Looks like we said the same thing.

Edited by falcons007

For me the biggest thing to stopping Lynch is Gap discipline and containing him between the tackles at the expense of pass rush ie DE playing a containing role not rushing up field and letting Lynch get outside the tackles this is the most important thing keeping both Lynch and Wilson inside don't let them get to the edge.

I think we'll see a similar scheme to what we did against the Redskins.

Edited by kiwifalcon