If M.smith Can't Handle Pressure, He Should Be Fired.

Rod23

This thread is not to knock Mike Smith. I was listening to radio this morning and Mark Schlereth talking about how there is such a tremendous amount of Pressure on Mike Smith to win this game and how SeahawkS are playing with "house money" which is why they can play so loose.

I was thinking that when I have been under tremendous pressure to perform in my job or other assignments, thats when I have done my Best work because I was so focused. My focus allowed me to prepare extremely well and it ususally showed in my work. All that being said; I really like Mike Smith but if the pressure of the postseason is too much for him and he can not get a win, Arthur Blank really needs to evaluate if he is the coach to get this team to then next level.

I get a kick out of all this talk about a HC handling the pressure.

What the h*ll does that have to do with what is happening in the game?

The HC isn't playing. He isn't even calling plays for either the offense or the defense.

Mike Smith has done his job. He's coached this team up to get them into this position.

If the Falcons lose, it will be for one of the following two reasons.

1. The new coordinators that we love so much will get out coached (highly doubt it).

2. The Falcons players will fail to make plays.

In short, we are going to win.

But if we don't, it doesn't have anything to do with Mike Smith "handling the pressure".

The HC isn't playing. He isn't even calling plays for either the offense or the defense.

Mike Smith has done his job. He's coached this team up to get them into this position.

1. The new coordinators that we love so much will get out coached (highly doubt it).

But if we don't, it doesn't have anything to do with Mike Smith "handling the pressure".

Yep, the only thing Smitty can do to kill you in the game short of sabotage is poor clock management.

The HC isn't playing. He isn't even calling plays for either the offense or the defense

Mike Smith has done his job. He's coached this team up to get them into this position...

We'll if Mike Smith has done his job by "coaching" his team up, The Falcons would be SB Champs.

if i see that ******** smitty ball. where were up two touchdowns and he slows the game down ..........then i will be nervous attack attack and ATTACK. why is smitty so cautious about the feelings of the other team , stomp themsix ft UNDER

I understand why he does it but it drives me a little crazy too. Give Smitty a shot of Nick Saban.

The HC isn't playing. He isn't even calling plays for either the offense or the defense

Mike Smith has done his job. He's coached this team up to get them into this position...

We'll if Mike Smith has done his job by "coaching" his team up, The Falcons would be SB Champs.

Sometimes, the other teams players are just better.

With all of the bad coaches floating around out there, you don't fire a truly good one, especially after the success over the past 5 seasons. The guy wins 70% of his games. You'd have to build a gigantic case against him at this point, and "playoff losses" aren't enough yet.

Sometimes, the other teams players are just better.

Sometimes...but I certainly don't think that was the case in NY last year. I think it was preparation. It is amazing to me when I look at our defense this year under Nolan how much more talent we appear to have. The talent has been there all along, the difference is scheme and preparation.

Sometimes...but I certainly don't think that was the case in NY last year. I think it was preparation. It is amazing to me when I look at our defense this year under Nolan how much more talent we appear to have. The talent has been there all along, the difference is scheme and preparation.

Well...yeah...I specifically mentioned that our coordinators could get out coached, but that doesn't have anything to do with the HC "handling the pressure", which is the topic of this thread.

But I think if we had a coach get out coached last year, it was much more Mularkey than it was BVG. The defense played well enough to win that game.

Unbelievable..... Mike Smith must be the greatest ..... No matter if we lose again , it willt never, never , never be his fault .... What the h@@@ is going on her .... When he gets fired after thisn year , I hope all u smith nut huggers will go with him .... I follow the falcons ... If any player or coach is not helping this team to go where we need to then so long ...mets get someone better .....

Well...yeah...I specifically mentioned that our coordinators could get out coached, but that doesn't have anything to do with the HC "handling the pressure", which is the topic of this thread.

But I think if we had a coach get out coached last year, it was much more Mularkey than it was BVG. The defense played well enough to win that game.

Yeah. Mike Smith has been one of the main factors in the success we've had in recent years. Our failures have nothing to do with how he handles pressure. If anything, he's the sideline version of Matt Ryan staying cool under pressure.

Unbelievable..... Mike Smith must be the greatest ..... No matter if we lose again , it willt never, never , never be his fault .... What the h@@@ is going on her .... When he gets fired after thisn year , I hope all u smith nut huggers will go with him .... I follow the falcons ... If any player or coach is not helping this team to go where we need to then so long ...mets get someone better .....

That's the Spirit!!

I'll tell you what dude. When we have the parade down Peachtree Street in a few weeks, you are not invited. Stay home.

I'd lay a year's salary on Mike Smiths job status in the offseason, regardless of what happens in these playoffs. The only way he's not the head coach of the Atlanta Football Falcons at the start of the '13 year is if he retires or croaks.

Edited by Butudontseeme

I'd lay a year's salary on Mike Smiths job status in the offseason, regardless of what happens in these playoffs. The only way he's not the head coach of the Atlanta Football Falcons at the start of the '13 year is if he retires or croaks.

It's a notion so absurd I don't even bother to argue it anymore.

It's a notion so absurd I don't even bother to argue it anymore.

I just don't understand, regardless of whether like him or not, why folks think he's on the hot seat. That makes no sense at all. The dude wins 70% of all of the games he coaches. 70%. I don't have access to coaching statistics right now, but I'd be willing to bet that most if not all head coaches with that kind of win % (over a career) have a bust in Canton. You don't fire a coach who wins 11 games a year. Period.

I don't know why Smitty possibly being fired if he can't win a playoff game this season is being brought up so much.

Does anybody remember when Shottenheimer was fired after a 14-2 season by the Chargers because they said that he could not get his team over the hump? Nov Turner was hired and they won some playoff games but started to decline because Norv was a terrible coach. My point is that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

I just don't understand, regardless of whether like him or not, why folks think he's on the hot seat. That makes no sense at all. The dude wins 70% of all of the games he coaches. 70%. I don't have access to coaching statistics right now, but I'd be willing to bet that most if not all head coaches with that kind of win % (over a career) have a bust in Canton. You don't fire a coach who wins 11 games a year. Period.

There are only 4 other guys.

Guy Chamberlin

Vince Lombardi

John Madden

George Allen

The only one of those not in the HOF is George Allen.

I don't know why Smitty possibly being fired if he can't win a playoff game this season is being brought up so much.

Does anybody remember when Shottenheimer was fired after a 14-2 season by the Chargers because they said that he could not get his team over the hump? Nov Turner was hired and they won some playoff games but started to decline because Norv was a terrible coach. My point is that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Poor Marty was the unluckiest coach ever in the post season.