Matt Ryan Deep Pass Attempts [Video]

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On another note, I don't think #1pick will ever truly respect Ryan. I've come to terms with that. And no, before you retaliate, don't try and say that you do respect him - if you did, then you wouldn't compare him consistently to guys who he is clearly superior to. Pennington and Aikmen only surpassed 20 TDs once in their careers, whereas Ryan has surpassed it in 4 of his 5 years, and has 28 or more TDs in three of those five years. Hasselback might have been a decent comparison to Ryan in his earlier playing years, particularly in 2005, when he had one of the best years of his career - a year very similar, albeit slightly worse, than the year Ryan is having now. He made the Pro Bowl and almost won the Super Bowl that year.

The main QB I find Ryan similar to is, to be honest, Kurt Warner. I'm surprised that comparison isn't made more often. Both had two #1 receivers at stages in their careers (Ryan with JJ and White, Warner with Fitz and Bolden, and before with Bruce and Holt), so don't try and debunk that comparison. Warner had a better running game with Faulk than Ryan has now, but Ryan had a running game to lean on with Turner in 2008 and 2009 (2010 was the beginning of the end for Turner imho). The biggest difference is that I find is that Ryan is more mobile, and more willing at this point to throw it deep to his receivers (with more success), whereas Warner had more zip on his deep ball and intermediate passes.

As a Falcon fan to another one I truly respect, I doubt I will ever fully respect Ryan either. Now I want him to prove me wrong. I really do. I know he's put in the work and I commend him for it. I just do not see the talent needed to carry a team. You post Aikman's stats like Smith wasn't getting 15-20+ TD's a year in a different era as well. Let's not act like Irvin and Harper equals Roddy and Julio or Jay Novecek equals Gonzo. Our pass weapons was superior to theirs and the rules were most favorable today to the QB and WR's than it was in 1994. Comparing stats is pointless in my opinion because the film says everything you need to know. Stat wise, Joe Johnson is more worthy of the HOF than Reggie Miller. Who in their right mind would put Joe Johnson in the HOF over Reggie Miller?

As for Kurt Warner, I see him in the boat with Warren Moon, Phillip Rivers, and to a less of a degree Drew Brees and Dan Marino. Those are elite pocket passers. They are mastered the art of passing the Football. I see Dominique Davis with that talent even if he is extremely raw right now. I see Ryan is a masterful game manager in the mold of Aikman, Hasslebeck, and Pennington. Ryan is elite at it. He's probably one of the best game managers that will grace the game of Football. Nothing wrong with that, he can win you Super Bowls but he can't carry you to one. Look at Marino, Brees, Rivers, Moon, and Warner. If you give them weapons, they are lethal as ****. If you don't they struggle. Warner was a backup without weapons. Rivers stinks without weapons. Everyone needs good coaches. From Manning to Cassell. Everyone. If Kurt was throwing in this era to our weapons with our OL, he would kill so many records. You do realize we have three potential HOF weapons in our WR core. One is GOAT for his position, one can be GOAT for his position in time and the other is one of the most consistent WR to ever play this game. Warner was far more mobile in the pocket than Ryan even when he was old. Ryan is more mobile out of the pocket but Warner would take risk to get 1st downs. One on his major strengths and downfalls in his career. Moore, no team is shutting down Warner in the playoffs like NYG shut down Ryan. No team is. It's impossible.

Edited by Hollywood #1 pick

If Kurt was throwing in this era to our weapons with our OL, he would kill so many records. You do realize we have three potential HOF weapons in our WR core. One is GOAT for his position, one can be GOAT for his potential in time and the other is one of the most consistent WR to ever play this game.

You make some of the wierdest comments ever. You do realize that Kurt Warner had 4 potential HOF players besides him on offense with the Rams right? At Arizona he had EASILY the best WR tandem in the NFL.

It's not like Kurt Warner didn't have weapons, the Greatest Show on Turf was probably the most loaded offense in history.

You make some of the wierdest comments ever. You do realize that Kurt Warner had 4 potential HOF players besides him on offense with the Rams right? At Arizona he had EASILY the best WR tandem in the NFL.

It's not like Kurt Warner didn't have weapons, the Greatest Show on Turf was probably the most loaded offense in history.

Warner set records as well. Greatest show on turf. Elite offense. One of the greatest offenses of all time. Julio, Roddy, and Gonzo is better than Fitz, Boldin and Breaston. We probably have the greatest passing options in NFL history. Looking at the 20+ plays, it is magical who many times the WR's got open. That rarely happens on ability alone. Usually the QB has to throw them open like Green Bay.

Why am I debating with a guy that said Jake Locher is the next Aaron Rodgers? God I am stupid.

It's Locker and it was based off where Rodgers was at college as a player not where Rodgers is now. I still like Locker's potential but he looks more like McNair potentially than anyone else. I also said Tyler Wilson looks like A-Rod out of Cal as well. You might as well use that to undermine me as well in a couple years.

Warner set records as well. Greatest show on turf. Elite offense. One of the greatest offenses of all time. Julio, Roddy, and Gonzo is better than Fitz, Boldin and Breaston. We probably have the greatest passing options in NFL history. Looking at the 20+ plays, it is magical who many times the WR's got open. That rarely happens on ability alone. Usually the QB has to throw them open like Green Bay.

Nah I wouldn't put Julio, Roddy, and Tony, over Holt, Bruce, and Faulk just yet, especially considering how much depth the Rams had behind those guys too. They are getting there though.

Maybe a conversation we can have after the Falcons win this Super Bowl.

It's Locker and it was based off where Rodgers was at college as a player not where Rodgers is now. I still like Locker's potential but he looks more like McNair potentially than anyone else. I also said Tyler Wilson looks like A-Rod out of Cal as well. You might as well use that to undermine me as well in a couple years.

Aaron Rodgers was a FAR superior college player to Jake Locker, so it was a stupid statement all the way around to me.

There has never been anything about Jake Locker to suggest he is anything like Aaron Rodgers.

It was a comparison of maybe the most accurate passer in history to a guy who has trouble hitting the broad side of a barn.

Warner throws players open, Warner has pinpoint accuracy, Warner has one of the most accurate deep balls in the game, had good tools, elite accuracy and skills, and was very talented but Warner isn't very consistent, injury prone, and he does take too many risks but he might be one of the best pure passers in the game. To even compare him to Ryan is a wtf if I have ever saw one. You guys do realize Warner's team were scoring:

Scored 526 points (32.9/g), 1st of 31 in the NFL.

Scored 540 points (33.8/g), 1st of 31 in the NFL with Warner hurt for 5 games.

Scored 503 points (31.4/g), 1st of 31 in the NFL.

Scored 316 points (19.8/g), 23rd of 32 in the NFL. Started 0-6, got benched, and was terrible this year.

Scored 303 points (18.9/g), 22nd of 32 in the NFL. Played 9 games, was in the playoff race with mediocre weapons and got benched for the future in Eli M.

Scored 311 points (19.4/g), 17th of 32 in the NFL. Threw for a lot of yards, terrible defense and average coaching at best. Played 10 games and got benched.

Scored 314 points (19.6/g), 19th of 32 in the NFL. Played 5 games

Scored 404 points (25.2/g), 7th of 32 in the NFL. Started 11 games

Scored 427 points (26.7/g), 3rd of 32 in the NFL. Started 16 games, NFC Champions

Scored 375 points (23.4/g), 11th of 32 in the NFL. 10-6, regressed as a player and retired. Put up top 10 QB stats for that year but playing through injuries.

Ryan's teams:

Scored 391 points (24.4/g), 10th of 32 in the NFL. Elite running team

Scored 363 points (22.7/g), 13th of 32 in the NFL. Turner hurt, Soph slump.

Scored 414 points (25.9/g), 5th of 32 in the NFL. The Falcons best scoring year.

Scored 402 points (25.1/g), 7th of 32 in the NFL. One of the best balanced attacks in Football. New rookie WR would shows flashes of greatness.

Scored 419 points (26.2/g), 7th of 32 in the NFL. Ryan's show an elite passing options.

Warner like most great pocket passers puts on elite scoring stats. Ryan like most elite game managers have to ability to put up crazy time of possession numbers sans 2009 for Ryan.

Nah I wouldn't put Julio, Roddy, and Tony, over Holt, Bruce, and Faulk just yet, especially considering how much depth the Rams had behind those guys too. They are getting there though.

Maybe a conversation we can have after the Falcons win this Super Bowl.

I would from a pure standpoint of making the play. Holt and Bruce weren't playmakers, they were elite route runners with elite hands. Especially Holt. They weren't Julio, Megatron, Fitz, or Moss.

I would from a pure standpoint of making the play. Holt and Bruce weren't playmakers, they were elite route runners with elite hands. Especially Holt. They weren't Julio, Megatron, Fitz, or Moss.

You must be on a mission to say the dumbest thing in history today.

That's a pretty good contender.

Aaron Rodgers was a FAR superior college player to Jake Locker, so it was a stupid statement all the way around to me.

There has never been anything about Jake Locker to suggest he is anything like Aaron Rodgers.

It was a comparison of maybe the most accurate passer in history to a guy who has trouble hitting the broad side of a barn.

snoop.png

Did you watch Locker at Washington? He was the single reason they won games in some of those years. Most scouts and coaches have said that much.

A lot of coaches loved Locker I did too. Was I wrong on the Rodgers comparison? Yeah but at the same time I still love his talent, he needs to be more skilled, his skill level is average. That's on the same tier as Brady Quinn, not good if you want to be a starting NFL QB much less an Pro Bowl one.

The game winning pass in the Rams Super Bowl was an underthrown ball that Matt Ryan has thrown 1000 times.

The difference is Bruce adjusted to the ball and took it to the house. Our guys haven't quite figured out how to make that play yet. But they will.

Every QB can make a poor pass. What's your point? Michael Jordan can miss a jumper. What's your point? So is Joe Johnson as good as Michael Jordan now?

You must be on a mission to say the dumbest thing in history today.

That's a pretty good contender.

They weren't in the sense of a Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, or Megatron. Elite route runners who had elite hands and were very consistent. As much as I love Roddy and think he is an elite WR, I do not see him as a playmaker. I do see Bruce and Holt as elite WR's in their prime.

Did you watch Locker at Washington? He was the single reason they won games in some of those years. Most scouts and coaches have said that much.

Yes, I did watch Locker at Washington. He was an athlete playing the QB position.

Aaron Rodgers was a QB playing the QB position in college.

Plenty of scouts thought Locker would bust in the NFL. It's just that there are some dumb ones that took the bait.

How many QBs have come to the NFL and tore it up after completing 53% of their passes in their Senior season?

I would imagine that is a pretty small number.

They weren't in the sense of a Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, or Megatron. Elite route runners who had elite hands and were very consistent. As much as I love Roddy and think he is an elite WR, I do not see him as a playmaker. I do see Bruce and Holt as elite WR's in their prime.

I am an effing idiot for debating you. I hate myself.

Yes, I did watch Locker at Washington. He was an athlete playing the QB position.

Aaron Rodgers was a QB playing the QB position in college.

Plenty of scouts thought Locker would bust in the NFL. It's just that there are some dumb ones that took the bait.

How many QBs have come to the NFL and tore it up after completing 53% of their passes in their Senior season?

I would imagine that is a pretty small number.

His WR's dropped a ton of balls and run the wrong routes constantly. This was discussed before and often. Then again, you did think Colt Brennan was the next best thing and a better prospect that than Ryan but have to nerves to call me out. I gave Ryan a top 10 grade. You felt Brennan was better than him. Enuff said.

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3030359-shorts-qb-scouting-2007/

His WR's dropped a ton of balls and run the wrong routes constantly. This was discussed before and often. Then again, you did think Colt Brennan was the next best thing and a better prospect that than Ryan but have to nerves to call me out. I gave Ryan a top 10 grade. You felt Brennan was better than him. Enuff said.

http://boards.atlant...-scouting-2007/

I did. You said Jake Locker was better than Ryan 3 months ago though.

I made my comments 6 years ago.