Matt Ryan Deep Pass Attempts [Video]

Rai

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That video doesn't give me a lot of confidence in Matt's deep ball accuracy.

Even incompletions on deep balls keep a defense honest. Plus, as someone else said, a number of them weren't off by much at all. A few were drops or a WR not being able to find the ball. Some were caught just an inch out of bounds; some were just good plays by the defender. Some were bad balls, sure, but that's going to happen.

All in all, Matt's deep ball saw exponential improvement this year.

Guest Negatorris

That video doesn't give me a lot of confidence in Matt's deep ball accuracy.

I bet you'd say the same thing if videos of other QBs deep balls were compiled. Nobody connects on every deep pass, and Ryan's deep ball accuracy has been among the best in the league this season.

Ahhh that slight overthrow to Roddy White that would have won us the first Saints game was painful to see again

That wasn't an overthrow in my opinion. Roddy turned around and started back-pedaling which slowed him down. My guess is he couldn't find the ball coming down at first, which is a shame, because it would have been the greatest catch of his career so far if he had.

That wasn't an overthrow in my opinion. Roddy turned around and started back-pedaling which slowed him down. My guess is he couldn't find the ball coming down at first, which is a shame, because it would have been the greatest catch of his career so far if he had.

Yeah if Roddy ran through that it is an easy catch and TD.

when he throws the deep ball early hes on point,,, but when it looks like he holds on to it a little longer it is not very good

Agree 100%, it's a rhythm thing.

The other negative I gathered from this video is that our receivers need to work on the balls thrown over their oustide shoulder. Matt could help them out by flattening those throws a little, but Julio and Roddy aren't very good at adjusting to those balls.

Lots more positives than negatives in the video though. Matt's improved 1000% throwing the deep ball compared to last year.

The disappointing thing for me with all the deep balls is some of the catches Julio misses.I saw at least half a dozen in my eyes Julio should have caught.

Even more frustrating is some of the deep balls Julio did catch the catches against the E-Gurls and Lions are the ones that stand out just catches with a unbeliveable degree of difficulty and a couple he layed out for and then he flat out drops some easy balls that have no where near the degree of difficulty.

I guess this will come with experience.

Edited by kiwifalcon

I think the best two throws Matt made all year were the first two TD throws in the Lions game.

Well, I really liked the DE-in-coverage-on-Tony-Gonzalez-in-the-end-zone touchdown against Washington (and I sincerely hope all the remaining postseason DCs try that same scheme), I think my favorite TD pass this year was the TG touchdown against the Giants. Perfect placement on a moving target, one inch above where the safety could get to.

It's funny how someone makes a comment (that's not the way you see it) and you come running like roaches when the lights go on to defend the individual. Get it in your heads that not all of us see things the same way. Now if you wanna think I'm attacking Ryan then think what you want.