Tale Of The Tape - Falcons O Vs Hawks D

MattM12

Good day all.

The board seems to be arguing back and forth as to whether or not we are the hammer or the nail this sunday.

Tale of the tape needed, enjoy, and enjoy pointing out where you disagree with me, I know y'all will!

Falcons Offense vs Hawks Defence

OL - DL -

The good -The falcons got a huge boost in Clemons going out. He has been stellar for them this year in run and pass, sadly it looks like a bad knee injury.

They have speed on the outside, but Baker is quietly having his best ever season as falcon. Irvin is raw and may find moments, but he is undersized, and will lose heavily in running sitautions.

the bad - their Defense is very aggressive and loves to bring the heat. Our tackles should be fine against the speed rush, but the concern is the strenght of our interior.

Blalock has produced an above average season, but sadly this hasn't been the case for Konz and Mud Duck.

Mud Duck looks like a player on the way out, and sadly Konz could use an All Pro center next to him to deal with his rookie issues. Konz is sound, doesn't false start and throws some great blocks in the running, but his lack of strenght sees him get blown up in the passing game.

It is beyond crucial that Ryan can step up for most of the day. Ryan is a top 4/5 QB in this league with a pocket to step into, and any QBs day is ruined when Guards are being blown back.

Advantage - Tie. I'd give it to the seahawks if Clemons was in, without him this should be a great battle all day.

RBs vs LBs - verteran leaders like Leroy Hill keep the team ticking over nicely, but are found wanting big time in passing downs.

Bobby Wagner is the star of the show, and is a monster against the run, and has the quickness to cover.

Turner... Oh Michael. He's got his work cut out.

Quizz gives us a shining light here. The aggressive Hawks WILL get caught on a few screens, and turning these into game defining plays is the order of the day.

Advantage - Hawks. Wagner deserves all pro considerations, and KJ wright doesn't fall too far behind. They will most likely dominate between the tackles, but expect a couple of big plays in the screen game.

WRs & TEs vs Secondary - there are some "characters" in the seahwaks D, but it's not all hot air. These boys are good. Really good. However, the Falcons have agruably the best options to throw to in the league. Admittedly the trench battle may define this battle, but expect it to be a physcial affair.

There will be opportunities in 1-1 coverage, and it will be a scrap against the big CBs. Expect at least 1-2 controversial pass interference calls... in our favour

It should be a big day for TG. The young hawks backers are quick, but match up horribly in height and experience against TG. It will be interesting to see who they have covering him, but I expect a TD and 80 yards for the big man.

If Matt gets a bit loose and throws into double coverage, we'll get to know Earl Thomas pretty well. Careful Matt!

If #2 gets a clear pocket, expect to see Roddy and Julio have big days, albeit an absolute dog fight.

Advantage - Falcons. This is tight, and as mentioned it's dependant on Matt's pocket, but this may be the match up to watch imo.

Ryan vs D

I say this tentatively, but I believe it will become apparant early what kind of day we get out of him. If we see him pizzed off, fired up and starts hot, I think it becomes a coming out party for #2. If he gets rattled, it could be a painful watch for us, because it won't get any easier with our lack of run game.

Advantage - Falcons. It's a homer pick, sure, but the D can be passed on, and their aggression will catch them out. Matt is great under pressure, and if Julio and Roddy are physical on the outside it could be a great day. My gut says matt plays well, 3 TDs 1 INT

Summary - I have the falcons winning the battle in a few areas, but marginally. The seahawks are aggressive, young and fast. Their aggression will be their demise in a few areas, and we should be able to throw on them.

The key to a seahawks victory will be collapsing the pocket, and holding up in 1-1 coverage when they bring pressure. If that happens, it's well and truly advantage Seahawks.

Key players

- Falcons -

Julio - If Julio can get off press and be dominant he could change the game. If he goes missing in single coverage, we could be in for a long day. He needs a big game for the team here.

Konz - Hold up son, just hold up

Ryan - Which Ryan turns up? If the pizzed off Philly Cheesesteak version comes out, it's going to be a long day the "12th man".

- Hawks -

Sherman - back that big mouth up son, you've got a heckuva job to do against Roddy. Good luck with that, you will get into it, and you will lose. If he wins, it changes the game. Expect at least one big PI from sherman or browner.

Alan Branch - Flashy as a DT, and can disrupt. Has the advantage over the falcons interior, and needs to demonstrate that.

Earl Thomas - when he gets his shot, he needs to take it to pick Ryan off. He is great in run support and overall, best bet is to throw away from him. Kam Chancellor gets praise (especially after the V Davis hit), but he is the man to pick on here.

looking into the crystal ball.....

I expect it to go a little something like this. If the falcons get the ball first, expect a fast start (after the failed 1st down run of course), with a deep shot to let them know we'll be aggressive. As I said before, i expect some big PI calls, and think Matt knowing this will go for a few bombs in this game.

The screen game will get us out of a few jams when the pressure comes.

I believe the big match ups will be coming on 3rd and shorts, so I hope our gameplan stacks up here.

Tony should take advantage of the aggression and slide free in coverage for a lot of first down catches.

Roddy should win the physical match up all day everyday and twice on sundays. The refs have got to let them play, it's vital to this being a great one.

I think Matt will throw a pick, my guess being Earl Thomas coming across attacking a 9 route.

Turner will close the game for us if we are ahead, beyond that I want to see quizz get shifty.

there will be sacks and some errant throws due to the pressure, it's just vital for us to not make the big mistakes (sack fumbles etc)

Falcons should score 28 points + ... jmo

I definitely think the biggest problem will be branch vs konz, as soon as I seen the seahawks win I knew that was something we would have to deal with. The thing that works in our advantage is that they like to blitz a decent amount, What offsets a blitz ? screen game, if we can take their defense out of what they like to do in blitzing then I think our offense can have our way with them.

On defense I like our matchup VERY well against the seahawks spoon can easily cover any TE on their roster. Our safety's are back too the tandem that they were.

I honestly sit here and I cant think how the seahawks can win this game, I hope I'm right cause Tony needs this one! Rise Up !!!

Good read, bro. Really well thought out. Their best pass rusher being out has boosted my confidence.

Let's do it dirty birds!

sad to see it happen for sure, but it's a big time boost for our O Line. I'm not worried about Baker & Clabo.

Irvin can flash, but he'll lose out for the most part on sunday. He'll get overpowered, just don't run screens to his side!

I definitely think the biggest problem will be branch vs konz, as soon as I seen the seahawks win I knew that was something we would have to deal with. The thing that works in our advantage is that they like to blitz a decent amount, What offsets a blitz ? screen game, if we can take their defense out of what they like to do in blitzing then I think our offense can have our way with them.

On defense I like our matchup VERY well against the seahawks spoon can easily cover any TE on their roster. Our safety's are back too the tandem that they were.

I honestly sit here and I cant think how the seahawks can win this game, I hope I'm right cause Tony needs this one! Rise Up !!!

100% agree on the importance of the screen game, and want to see Baker throw some big blocks in that area. This is also an area where Konz can shine in space.

I may do a tale of the tape for the D# matchup, but I agree, I think we have a good shot in a lot of areas, the run game is the big issue

If Konz looks like crap in the first quarter will we pull him for Hawley ? man this guy is starting to look like a effing bust ....

not sure about the moniker of bust, he has looked great in open space and in the run game, just getting overpowered by big DTs and bull rushes.

I think he'll settle very very nicely into Center, especially when his strength improves