Scared And/or Conservative Won't Get It Done

PokerSteve

The Seahawks showed a lot of poise and toughness by coming back from a 14-point deficit and putting up 24 unanswered points on the road against a very good Redskin team. I don't believe the Falcons are going to be able to beat this team if they play scared, up-tight, play-not-to-lose, sit-on-any-lead, conservative football. Even though that type of play is Smittyball personified, there comes a time when you have to just throw caution to the wind and go for it. If we're going to go down in the first round again, let's at least go down with an aggressive, creative game plan that emphasizes scoring, not ball control. If we have to lose, let's go out in a blaze of glory, not in a sad cloud of 2-yard running plays and 5-yard-curl pass plays. If we lose, let's not blow it because we're in a soft zone and playing five-yards off their wide receivers. Let's go eyeball-to-eyeball in all phases of the game, go after them rather than allow them to bring the game to us. Let's put up three TD's in the first quarter, not three FG's, and not let these suckers breathe.

Edited by PokerSteve

This league is all about matchups. I think this will be the best secondary we will face all year, the best before this are the Cardinals. If the passing game doesn't get going and we don't convert on 3rd down, gonna be a long game and perhaps offseason.

Offensively, they remind me a lot of the Carolina Panthers. Russell Wilson isn't as big as Cam but he's elusive and plays with much better poise in the pocket. Marshawn Lynch is a beast and a better Deangelo Williams. Receivers of the Panthers are a little better than the Seahawks though.

Should be a tough game, but the Falcons want so much to get that one & done monkey off their back that they should pull it out.

One thing I learned from this game today is that the Seahawk run D isn't quite as intimidating as I thought.

If the o-line can put on it's big boy pants Turner could do some damage.

And we won't be scared and/or conservative. Mark it down. Koetter has been setting up the offense all season for this moment.

I think you're right. I'm more excited than worried. I think there's an excellent chance both Nolan and Koetter have some things up their sleeves for this game. At any rate, I don't want us to start off flat, or possibly worse, start out fast, but then let the off the gas and lapse into Smittyball and lose our aggression and intensity.

Congratulations to Seattle for winning on the road in the playoffs. That they didn't fold their tents being down 14-0 was commendable. Before anointing them the GOAT, i would want to not what else i saw:

- Wilson not only didn't have great passing numbers (15-26, 156 yds), he wasn't throwing very well - missed open receivers multiple times with poorly thrown balls.

- Lynch is still the key to their offense. 20 carries for 132 yards. Wilson added another 67 on 8 carries, but 30+ of that was when he took off on a pass play.

We've all been singing the praises of Nolan. Well, the key to the game is whether he can figure out how to deal with the read option and Beast Mode. If SEA is averaging 6.1yds per carry like they did today, it'll be close in the 4th quarter and the Falcons will feel the pressure of not having won in the postseason. If ATL's D can capitalize on mistakes (Wilson's fumble became a 20yd run by Lynch - that could've been a HUGE play for WAS) and force Wilson to win with his arm more than his legs, i like Atlanta's chances of winning by 10+.

I think you're right. I'm more excited than worried. I think there's an excellent chance both Nolan and Koetter have some things up their sleeves for this game. At any rate, I don't want us to start off flat, or possibly worse, start out fast, but then let the off the gas and lapse into Smittyball and lose our aggression and intensity.

I fear us coming out fast and then letting up a lot more than coming out flat and not doing anything.