Vanilla Again Next Week Or Magical Mystery Tour De Force?

PokerSteve

Many fans have wondered what became of the radically different game plans the Falcons came up with early in the season. There were dramatic changes in the way the team played, especially on defense, in the first few games. Remember the "Amoeba Defense" that so befuddled Peyton Manning and had him throwing more passes to our secondary than to his own receivers? Anybody remember that TD pass to Drew Davis that was so different from what the defense was expecting that he didn't have a defender within 10 yards when Matt threw him the pass? The screen pass to Michael Turner that went turned into a 50-yard TD? Even when we were struggling against mediocre teams the second half of the season the game plans have all been straight vanilla. Obviously if you can win without bringing out the Top Secret weaponry, it's in your best interest to keep those things tightly under wraps.

But now we're in the play-offs. Granted we're going to end up playing a team with a rookie QB no matter whether we play Seattle or Washington, and in Washington's case, we're going to be playing a team that is terrible at defending against the pass. The Falcons should be able to handle either team with their same old vanilla style...... but Atlanta hasn't won a play-off game under Mike Smith. You have to win to advance and if you don't bring everything you've got and come up short, then people are naturally going to ask, "why didn't the Falcons bring the creative plays that were successful for them earlier in the year in such a crucial game?" Of course on the other hand, if you lay all your cards on the table to make sure you get past the wild card winner, then you've revealed your bag of tricks to your opponents in the NFCCG and the Super Bowl.

What do you do if you're Nolan and Koetter? Do you keep your game plan vanilla and trust that will be enough to get the job done in the first round? Do you slide in a couple of "sleeper" plays in crucial situations, but try not to show too much? Do you just throw the kitchen sink at your first-round opponent and not worry about what you're going to provide in terms of film for your next opponent?

What's your play to get to the Super Bowl TATF? Vanilla first, Tricks later; a "Magical Mystery Tour" for the next three games, or something in between?

Edited by PokerSteve

To be honest with you Steve I have no idea......and it makes my puzzler hurt to try and think about it too much. I do believe, for what it's worth, we'll know relatively quickly next Sunday whether the Falcons are going to win or not.

I will be looking for "tightness" more than anything else. If the team comes out looking robotic and tight I don't think we win. If this new way of approaching the playoffs that Smitty talked about in the off season results in the team looking loose, aggressive, jacked up....I think we win.

Watch those first 10-15 minutes...I think we'll get a preview of the rest of the game based on early returns.

Guest facelessman07

Its playoff time. If we play "vanilla" then obviously none of the coaches care about winning. I believe that we have enough tricks in our bag to keep our opponents guessing week after week

I think we need to unleash the kracken. If our opponents figure us out with "newer plays" in one game then we are in trouble and our whole coaching staff needs to be fired

GREAT point!

This is an elimination round, no way we go vanilla, 0% chance

Exactly....that would be like being on trial for murder and saving your "good evidence" for the appeal you hope you get.

I've come to realize that it isnt the gameplan which is vanilla or not, it's our play. The question is is our play going to be vanilla or inspired. I sure hope the 'Giant' Falcons show up and not the 'Tampa' Falcons as far as how we play goes.

To be honest with you Steve I have no idea......and it makes my puzzler hurt to try and think about it too much. I do believe, for what it's worth, we'll know relatively quickly next Sunday whether the Falcons are going to win or not.

I will be looking for "tightness" more than anything else. If the team comes out looking robotic and tight I don't think we win. If this new way of approaching the playoffs that Smitty talked about in the off season results in the team looking loose, aggressive, jacked up....I think we win.

Watch those first 10-15 minutes...I think we'll get a preview of the rest of the game based on early returns.

Agree. If you were here I even made a post suggesting that if the Falcons score first we will win, if not, we'll lose. So I definitely think we'll know whether this team is going to win in the first 10 or 15 minutes.

Dammit, you've made me hungry for a banana split! tongue.png

Yeah, I started to say a split. Dammit. Now I want one too. That's it, I'm making one.

The Falcons are going to come out like a cornered animal. Whoever is unlucky enough to come to the Dome is going to feel like they just were trapped in a phone booth in salmon underwear with a half starved grizzly bear.

I just don't buy into the fact that we have all of these magical plays we've been keeping in a safety deposit box waiting for the playoffs. A few wrinkles? Sure. Weapons of mass destruction? Prolly not.

Yeah, you're probably right.... *shakes head in resignation, sighs heavily*....