Kayoh's 2013 Tight End Scouting

Kayoh

I've been catching up on my college tape and I started with DTs, then started looking at TEs. I'll probably end up just making a thread for each position as putting them all into one thread would cause a massive wall of text that just nobody wants to read through.

One thing I notice is that this is a VERY deep TE class, but the depth is based more on potential than actual ability. 6'5 TEs are a premium these days with the Jimmy Grahams and Gronks of the world running around playing like world beaters in their rookie years, as well as the decreasing size of LBs in the NFL. The problem is that size is making a lot of people forget to pay attention to route running, hands, toughness, ability to catch in traffic, and most importantly, the lost art of BLOCKING.

Tyler Eifert can do everything. He has the size at 6'5, he has the speed to, combined with his height, be a true vertical threat, and he's a tough, physical player who can box defenders out as a receiver and blocks like a true pro. He is literally the only TE I would want us to take with our 1st round pick, and if he falls to us, I consider him a must-have, unless some other freakish draft day landslide ends up in our laps like a Star Lotulelei or Damontre Moore.

Eifert, to me, has nearly identical abilities to Tony Gonzalez as a receiver and is a significantly run blocker than Gonzo. Can't-miss pick for sure.

As far as other TEs, there is a lot of talent in this class.

Zach Ertz is a strange guy because he's close to the same level as Eifert as a blocker, but a completely different type of receiver. Where Eifert reminds me of Tony Gonzalez with his ability to box defenders out, go upstairs for a high throw, and just out-fight people for the ball, Ertz is more of a finesse receiver. He isn't the best route runner, but he finds ways to get open, and when he IS open, he's a sure catch. His problem is fighting for the ball in coverage, because he seems to struggle when he gets manned up and challenged physically. Ertz is a sure thing, but will have more of those "oh come on man, gotta catch that" moments than Eifert, who seems to catch everything in his very long reach.

Joseph Fauria is probably the most intriguing TE prospect in this draft. 6'7, not the fastest but fast enough, great leaping ability, great hands. He is the Jimmy Graham of this class. Hands down the best red zone threat of the group due to his combination of size, leaping ability and hands. Not a great blocker, but when we're comparing these guys to Tony Gonzalez, he's good enough as a blocker to fit into our system. I'd like to see him work on getting a better release and improving his ability as an inline blocker, but as a physical prospect with great hands, he's another can't-miss guy. If he's available in the 2nd round and we didn't already take Eifert or Ertz in the 1st, I'd find it hard to believe if we'd pass him up.

Jordan Reed = Aaron Hernandez lite. NEXT!

Travis Kelce has definite ability. He reminds me of Eifert as a receiver, who I've already compared to Gonzo as a receiver, so you know he's legit in that aspect of the game. Had a problem in 2010 and was suspended for the entire season, plus seems to have an ego problem, so I won't get my hopes up, he might not pass the Falcon Filter.

Dion Sims is a pure blocking guy. Not very good as a receiver. Reminds me of Joel Dreessen, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but don't expect him to light it up as a pass catcher.

Michael Williams for Alabama is probably my favorite "sleeper" pick at TE. 6'6 and he looks and plays even bigger than that. I haven't seen him really need to high point a ball in the tape I've watched so that might be a question, but he can box guys out, he's difficult to bring down in open space, he has good, soft, consistent hands, and he's one of the best blockers in this TE class.

Ryan Otten is a guy with top 50 talent who played against suspect competition. He's got the size, hands, and speed to be a 2nd round pick, but it all comes down to how he performs against better competition and how he performs at the combine. If Otten plays in the Senior Bowl, a good performance could jet him into the early 2nd round. If not, he's a 3rd rounder who most teams won't trust as a blocker but will be a sure thing as a receiver.

Any other names you guys are wondering about? I don't see us taking a TE after the 4th round which is why I stopped @ Williams.

I like Ertz, Fauria, and Reed. I say we take Fauria early and Reed a bit later. That way we have a big TE and a fast one. Reed would really be more of a big slot guy for us and that would help us a lot. He probably runs in the 4.5s so no LB or S would be able to check him. We could just toss it up to Fauria. If we want Matt to be like Brady then lets give him what Brady has.

Fauria is my favorite for the mid rounds. At 6'7, he has a huge catch radius for Matt in the redzone. Will be available in the fourth round. TEs aren't really coveted. Fleener went in the 2nd and was the best one last year. Other positions are much more important and most teams have TEs. How many teams have TE as an immediate need? Not many.

I found a little tape of him in 2011.

I saw that vid, not very telling, though. I don't like it when people post highlights, I want to see every play, the good and the bad. It's hard to judge how good a player is when all you see is their good tape.

I saw that vid, not very telling, though. I don't like it when people post highlights, I want to see every play, the good and the bad. It's hard to judge how good a player is when all you see is their good tape.

That's my point though. Their isn't any full game tapes that I have seen.

Teams that recently doubled down in a draft on TE:

Ravens: Pitta and Dixon

Patriots: Gronk and Hernandez

Colts: Fleener and Allen

Pats' TE Tandem draft was stellar.

Colts' proved to be almost that in season one also.

The "right TE" is coveted... But not at same levels. Often, other team needs and perceived strengths at RB and/or WR can lessen the relative demand a team may have for one.

I don't think Aaron Hernandez is all that phenomenal. He's the 3rd best receiving threat on the team, possibly even 4th behind Lloyd, and he's a pretty awful blocker. He gets overrated because of the team he plays for.

The real stud of the guys you just named is Gronk. Everybody should be looking for the next Gronk. Not becuase he's so marketable or because he's such a great receiver, but because he does everything. Great receiver, excellent red zone target, and a top 5 run blocking TE in the NFL. I don't think that complete package exists in this class, but Eifert is the closest thing to it, then Ertz. I'm looking forward to see what Michael Williams does on the path to the draft because if he proves he has elite receiving talent, he could skyrocket as a prospect because we all know he's a phenomenal blocker.

I don't think Aaron Hernandez is all that phenomenal. He's the 3rd best receiving threat on the team, possibly even 4th behind Lloyd, and he's a pretty awful blocker. He gets overrated because of the team he plays for.

The real stud of the guys you just named is Gronk. Everybody should be looking for the next Gronk. Not becuase he's so marketable or because he's such a great receiver, but because he does everything. Great receiver, excellent red zone target, and a top 5 run blocking TE in the NFL. I don't think that complete package exists in this class, but Eifert is the closest thing to it, then Ertz. I'm looking forward to see what Michael Williams does on the path to the draft because if he proves he has elite receiving talent, he could skyrocket as a prospect because we all know he's a phenomenal blocker.

It's not like you can't learn to block. A lot of tight ends come in the league now not being great blockers.

Kayoh wut u think bout Mychal Rivera from Tennessee.

Not bad, but not the kind of TE we need. Doesn't have elite size (6'5+) or speed and plays in an offense that includes 2 top WRs getting him open, a lot like ours, but in college. In this TE class, we can afford to be very picky, and anybody under 6'5 isn't even on my personal big board.

if eiffert is there at our first pick we are taking him period. and that is even if ansah is there as well. but if effert is gone then we may get ansah. the giants pick will be key. i see them taking either eiffert or ansah im leaning to them taking ansah, tuck was injured i dont think uyi coming back so im sure they take ansah at their pick which would leave eifert for us. if i was td i would look heavily at de in fa maybe michael johnson. i also would not have a problem with them double dipping in the later rounds like our 4th comp pick taking a fauria, or michael williams.

Edited by texasfalconfan

if eiffert is there at our first pick we are taking him period. and that is even if ansah is there as well. but if effert is gone then we may get ansah. the giants pick will be key. i see them taking either eiffert or ansah im leaning to them taking ansah, tuck was injured i dont think uyi coming back so im sure they take ansah at their pick which would leave eifert for us. if i was td i would look heavily at de in fa maybe michael johnson. i also would not have a problem with them double dipping in the later rounds like our 4th comp pick taking a fauria, or michael williams.

I've got 9 guys ahead of Eifert on my Big Board and none of them are Ansah. They're all fairly outlandish, guys that'll go top 5 or 10, but the one guy that has a chance to fall to us that I think we'd take even if Eifert was on the board is Barrett Jones. If he falls to us, and he's the only guy in my top 9 who I can see actually doing so, Mike Smith might just orgasm on the spot. A big 6'5 315lb olineman who can play every position across the OL? They'd run to the podium faster than you can say "cross training".