Mike Smith's Future...

ghoticov

Even if Mike Smith and the Falcons lose in the first round of the playoffs again, I sure hope Blank doesn't do anything stupid and fire Mike Smith. He is BY FAR the best coach the Falcons have ever had, playoff wins or not. To throw that out, would be an overreaction and ridiculous.

Sure, I hope we get the playoff win monkey off our backs but even if they don't, the Falcons are still in good hands for many years come with Mike Smith...

And no, I am not related to Mike Smith. biggrin.png

One of the reasons I was so upset after the fiasco against GB in 2010 is because getting 1st seed is extremely difficult. It was our first time ever in 45 years. So I'm thinking we might never have a better chance - home field throughout and a bye. If you had told me then that we would have 1st seed again in 2 years I would have laughed in your face.

It's incredible what this regime has done for our franchise. I have no doubt that they will bring us a Lombardi.

I agree, The Falcons are building a championship organization, what colleges call a "program". We have seen the steps that have been taken to insure this, & believe it or not we have seen fruits from that labor. The simple fact that we "expect" to win now shows the fundamental change already. Two #1 seeds in 3 years means we've learned how to win,I like so many others believed we should have won that Arizona game Matt's rookie year & already have this monkey off our back, but that's how the NFL goes. 7 coaches got fired this week, several more are still on the "hot seat" , but not ours, Mike Smith has been solid as they come. He makes mistakes just like any other coach, but like he says "this is a process". I do believe that this is our year. I do believe that at the very least, we will be participants in this year's Super Bowl, but no matter what Mike Smith has made the Falcon's "relevant" Mike Smith has made the Falcons part of the discussion, so for that alone, he deserves a chance to succeed or fail at least for the foreseeable future. I do believe Mike Smith has earned that

One of the reasons I was so upset after the fiasco against GB in 2010 is because getting 1st seed is extremely difficult. It was our first time ever in 45 years. So I'm thinking we might never have a better chance - home field throughout and a bye. If you had told me then that we would have 1st seed again in 2 years I would have laughed in your face.

It's incredible what this regime has done for our franchise. I have no doubt that they will bring us a Lombardi.

Yeah these have been great times. People are over looking it now though due to 0-3 in the playoffs. Winning the SB will be the icing in the cake.

I agree, The Falcons are building a championship organization, what colleges call a "program". We have seen the steps that have been taken to insure this, & believe it or not we have seen fruits from that labor. The simple fact that we "expect" to win now shows the fundamental change already. Two #1 seeds in 3 years means we've learned how to win,I like so many others believed we should have won that Arizona game Matt's rookie year & already have this monkey off our back, but that's how the NFL goes. 7 coaches got fired this week, several more are still on the "hot seat" , but not ours, Mike Smith has been solid as they come. He makes mistakes just like any other coach, but like he says "this is a process". I do believe that this is our year. I do believe that at the very least, we will be participants in this year's Super Bowl, but no matter what Mike Smith has made the Falcon's "relevant" Mike Smith has made the Falcons part of the discussion, so for that alone, he deserves a chance to succeed or fail at least for the foreseeable future. I do believe Mike Smith has earned that

Couldn't have said it better. Agree 1000. Ain't it nice to not to have all the hater they would have normally already jacked this thread and ruined it. Good job the other day BB!!

I hate that some are branded as content for being happy over the development of this franchise over the last 5 years, even if it hasn't translated in the playoffs. After living 30 years and seeing sporadic success, our last 5 years have been great. This doesn't mean I'm content. It means I've been at the bottom with this team, and I'm enjoying the ride. I'm hoping the ride ends with a title this year.

Isn't it funny how expectations change. Now, I look at the regular season as a prelude to something else. Growing up. I didn't have that luxury. It's a nice change.

Smitty has done a great job. I trust his staff will have our team ready to take the next step.mi know we the fans are ready. It all starts next week.

It's a marathon not a sprint. It's chess not checkers. Like Rahjae said we're building a championship program and it started in 2008. It was a long term plan put in affect not short term. When you thing long term you build dynasties like SF, NE, Pitt, Dallas for a long run. Anything successful is not done overnight. Here today gone tomorrow is what happens without a strong foundation. Once we get that taste of playoff success blood it's a wrap and it will only get better with smart coords like Nolan and Koetter that can get pieces that fit their schemes. Blank built a company from the ground up so he understands this. He finally has the right ppl in place and building a cohesive bond.

I agree. Hopefully sooner than later.

He hasn't earned Schottenheimer status yet.

I have a feeling that Smitty will get it done this season.

Chargers fans and probably Rivers himself would KILL to have Schottenheimer these last few years. Sorta like how KC fans are excited to get the HC that Philly ran out of town.

as a Falcon fan for 34 of the 41 years of my life, i'm going to enjoy these "golden years" of ATL football. i remember enjoying a successful season and knowing when it ended that it would be another 2-3 years before i got to root for a winning team again, lol.

Mike Smith is not only the winningest Coach in Falcon history, he is one of the winningest Coaches in ALL of the NFL's history over a five year span. That's incredible. It's even more incredible that there are still threads that question whether or not he'd be fired.

What's very impressive to me is that he (and TD) keep trying to tweak things and that the team is ALWAYS in "process" such as the fact that the last time they were 13-3 and had a bye week in the playoffs, he gave the players the week off. That did not work our so well so this time, to maintain their rythym and sharpness, he played Game #16 to win and had them practice hard four times this week. He'll keep tweaking it until he gets it right.

John Wooden never coached a Championship team until he was 55, but once he got it right, he one 10 out of the next 12!

Good Luck Coach Smith.

Mike Smith is not only the winningest Coach in Falcon history, he is one of the winningest Coaches in ALL of the NFL's history over a five year span. That's incredible. It's even more incredible that there are still threads that question whether or not he'd be fired.

What's very impressive to me is that he (and TD) keep trying to tweak things and that the team is ALWAYS in "process" such as the fact that the last time they were 13-3 and had a bye week in the playoffs, he gave the players the week off. That did not work our so well so this time, to maintain their rythym and sharpness, he played Game #16 to win and had them practice hard four times this week. He'll keep tweaking it until he gets it right.

John Wooden never coached a Championship team until he was 55, but once he got it right, he one 10 out of the next 12!

Good Luck Coach Smith.

If Mike Smith continues this pace of winning in the regular season and get at least 2 Superbowls then he will be in the discussion as a potential HOF coach.

Edited by DawnOfThemBirds

I hate that some are branded as content for being happy over the development of this franchise over the last 5 years, even if it hasn't translated in the playoffs. After living 30 years and seeing sporadic success, our last 5 years have been great. This doesn't mean I'm content. It means I've been at the bottom with this team, and I'm enjoying the ride. I'm hoping the ride ends with a title this year.

Isn't it funny how expectations change. Now, I look at the regular season as a prelude to something else. Growing up. I didn't have that luxury. It's a nice change.

Smitty has done a great job. I trust his staff will have our team ready to take the next step.mi know we the fans are ready. It all starts next week.

Could not have said it better myself. I've been living 50 years and have watched this team 44 of them and I feel exactly as you do. On another note, I have to say I'm surprised at this thread getting this far without one of the whining negative nancy "fire Smith" crowd showing up yet.

Could not have said it better myself. I've been living 50 years and have watched this team 44 of them and I feel exactly as you do. On another note, I have to say I'm surprised at this thread getting this far without one of the whining negative nancy "fire Smith" crowd showing up yet.

Save 07, my son has never seen his Falcons be irrelevant, even during the Vick years. That's all I knew. I was like Jim Mora, "Playoffs?". My son doesn't know what that's like. Couple that with the Idea that we are still ascending. What a transformation! Only one thing left, and we've done what we need to do to make it as easy as we can. It's just time to do it.

Even if Mike Smith and the Falcons lose in the first round of the playoffs again, I sure hope Blank doesn't do anything stupid and fire Mike Smith. He is BY FAR the best coach the Falcons have ever had, playoff wins or not. To throw that out, would be an overreaction and ridiculous.

Sure, I hope we get the playoff win monkey off our backs but even if they don't, the Falcons are still in good hands for many years come with Mike Smith...

And no, I am not related to Mike Smith. biggrin.png

I believe Smitty is one of the three best HC's in the NFL. What Smitty has done is take the players TD provides him, and make the whole team greater than the sum of its parts. That and winning consistently are the two hardest things to do in the NFL.

If for some reason AB loses his mind and fires Smitty? Carolina would hire Smitty that day. Then Smitty would bring his team here once a year and beat the crap outta the Falcons.

Chuck Noll, Tom Landry, Bill Walsh all took time to get things right before they found success. Bill Belichik was even fired from one HC job. He became a genius when Bledsole got hurt and Belichik had to turn to Tom Brady....

Where some people see 0-3 in the playoffs... I see 5 years 4 playoff appearances.

The kicker is he accomplished this with a franchise that was in complete disarray as a "first time" head coach.

That's EXACTLY how I view things. I am very thankful for where this organization is....playoff wins or not.