Eric Wright

ya_boi_j

January 5, 2013, 5:45 AM EST

Bucs are poised to sever ties with Eric Wright

When Buccaneers cornerback Eric Wright recently returned from a suspension and faced a fairly aggressive grilling from the local media without a lifeline from the team’s P.R. department, the speculation commenced that the Bucs have decided to move on from one of the three prized members of their free-agent class of 2012.

Earlier this week, the folks at PewterReport.com said that, indeed, Wright likely will be cut before the Bucs launch their offseason workout sessions in April.

And the Bucs can do it while also saving $7.75 million.  Before Wright’s four-game suspension for violating the league’s policy regarding performance-enhancing drugs (reportedly, amphetamines contained in Adderall), Wright’s 2013 salary of $7.75 million for next season was fully guaranteed.  The suspension, we’ve confirmed, voids the guarantee completely.

Of course, the guarantee could become guaranteed again if Wright shows up for offseason workouts and, for example, drops a weight on his foot or pops an Achilles while running at the practice facility.  That’s why it’ll be important to cut him before he has the ability to show up and work out, in any way.

Wright already lost $1.7 million during his suspension.

But it was more than the suspension that apparently is driving the Bucs to move on.  Wright had some sort of illness during the 2012 offseason, which impacted his ability to prepare for his first season with the team.  Then, he was arrested for suspicion of DUI; even though the charges were dropped, it raised more suspicions about whether the Bucs did the right thing.Now, thanks to the term nullifying the guarantee, the Bucs are able to walk away, with only (only?) $5.54 million invested in Wright.The separate question is whether they do him a favor and cut him before the free-agency market opens in March, or whether they try to trade him.  As to the latter possibility, we can’t imagine anyone agreeing to pay him $7.75 million in 2013.

Huh? He's not terrible. He's no Revis, but he still good and young. He played really good for the browns was surprised they let him go without resigning him.

He does have talent but he is somewhat of a head case....needs more maturity and experience , would not be a bad signing at all if we dont bring back Grimes.

He does have talent but he is somewhat of a head case....needs more maturity and experience , would not be a bad signing at all if we dont bring back Grimes.

Yeah I knew he did get in some trouble going back to college. He was good at USC, but got in trouble and went to UNLV I believe. As far as I know he hasn't gotten into trouble lately. This last suspension was for adoral so not as big of an issue.

He played pretty damm good for Detroit last year in their playoff run, at mid season he was one of the best ranked CBs in the league. . He had 4 picks, 16 passes defensed, and 74 tackles. This is just last year, to say he is a turd is just dumb....

exactly. All it takes is 1 bad year and your name is ruined. He's still young with plenty of potential

I can't recall him being much trouble in the nfl. If so then it flew under the bridge. Suspension for PED's is normal. Seems like he learned from his mistakes from college

I want nothing to do with him I remember in the draft he had major red flags something about he had over hundreds of ecstasy pills and he apparently used a date rape drug on a girl but got off because of insufficient evidence and he's sucks aswell

Guest Negatorris

We are not parting ways with Dunta, I don't know why people keep thinking that. But if Grimes does walk, we should definitely go after Wright. Our secondary is actually becoming the strength of our defense... Something I couldn't say with BVG running the show.

We are not parting ways with Dunta, I don't know why people keep thinking that. But if Grimes does walk, we should definitely go after Wright. Our secondary is actually becoming the strength of our defense... Something I couldn't say with BVG running the show.

I don't want to see dunta go. I just threw it out there since it gets tossed around so much around here

Screenshot_2013-01-05-12-45-12_zps40ff1694.png

Screenshot_2013-01-05-12-44-57_zps3b526345.png

Screenshot_2013-01-05-12-49-23_zps9a9f851f.png

Screenshot_2013-01-05-12-47-11_zpsbb3ef6e2.png

Screenshot_2013-01-05-12-48-21_zps7089ef88.png

Asante is the only player on our roster who has really outperformed Eric Wright since he entered the league. Under Nolan and learning from Asante dude could be a good pickup. He's younger then all our DBs besides McClain.

Wright 27 McClain 25.

All our other DBs are in their 30s.

Edited by B_Lo_Touchdowns