Still Heartbroken:

FalconsIn2012

Man, I apologize for opening up a healing wound, but my wife and son left town so I hit up the DVR and re-watched the SEC Championship game. Thought I could get through it with less emotion...sadly, I was wrong. The game has so many peaks and valleys that anyone with a vested interested cannot simply watch the game without being affected. I relived Ogletree's sprint to the end zone to give the Dawgs an 11 point lead. For the first time, I allowed myself to say "this is it...I can't believe it but we have finally done it and will play for a MNC". The Dawgs had the momentum along with the swagger... and then the next possession happened. As most great teams do, Alabama did not blink and responded in kind by running it right down our throats and at the supposed strength of our team, the middle of our defensive line.

Bama physically dominated the next 12 minutes and finally took the lead. Dawgs teams past would have folded like a cheap suit; however, Murray's maturation continued ad he played great in an extremely high pressure situation. The rest, as they say, is history and we all know the emotionally taxing end.

That being said, this truly was an incredible game and easily the Game of the Year in 2012. Bama is so talented along both trenches that it takes a special effort to slay them. Unfortunately, our depth along the DL was our undoing and we ended up five yards short. Gut wrenching, but it is what it is. I also feel Murray's experience late in the season will play major dividends in 2013. I don't imagine we will see another deer in the headlights performance moving forward.

Anyways, this was a H E L L of a game and epitomizes all that is right with college football. Two teams played, one team won while the other received a much needed infusion of respect, both internally within the program and externally from the national media.

I am quietly optimistic that Georgia has another great season in 2013, led by an explosive offense in the first half of the season as a young defense matures together. Once the defense gels, we will be very dangerous and have a chance at redemption next December in the Georgia Dome.

Edited by Falconsin2012

Man, I apologize for opening up a healing wound, but my wife and son left town so I hit up the DVR and re-watched the SEC Championship game. Thought I could get through it with less emotion...sadly, I was wrong. The game has so many peaks and valleys that anyone with a vested interested cannot simply watch the game without being affected. I relived Ogletree's sprint to the end zone to give the Dawgs an 11 point lead. For the first time, I allowed myself to say "this is it...I can't believe it but we have finally done it and will play for a MNC". The Dawgs had the momentum along with the swagger... and then the next possession happened. As most great teams do, Alabama did not blink and responded in kind by running it right down our throats and at the supposed strength of our team, the middle of our defensive line.

Bama physically dominated the next 12 minutes and finally took the lead. Dawgs teams past would have folded like a cheap suit; however, Murray's maturation continued ad he played great in an extremely high pressure situation. The rest, as they say, is history and we all know the emotionally taxing end.

That being said, this truly was an incredible game and easily the Game of the Year in 2012. Bama is so talented along both trenches that it takes a special effort to slay them. Unfortunately, our depth along the DL was our undoing and we ended up five yards short. Gut wrenching, but it is what it is. I also feel Murray's experience late in the season will play major dividends in 2013. I don't imagine we will see another deer in the headlights performance moving forward.

Anyways, this was a H E L L of a game and epitomizes all that is right with college football. Two teams played, one team won while the other received a much needed infusion of respect, both internally within the program and externally from the national media.

I am quietly optimistic that Georgia has another great season in 2013, led by an explosive offense in the first half of the season as a young defense matures together. Once the defense gels, we will be very dangerous and have a chance at redemption next December in the Georgia Dome.

I was going through some text messages the other night and found one I sent after the Ogletree touchdown: "WE ARE IN TROUBLE." I was really worried at that point that we would not stay committed to the running game, but instead, that is what we leaned on for the rest of the game -- and it obviously was the difference. Just an outstanding game between two great teams.

Also, I commend you for watching it. I record every Alabama game, especially when I am there in person. I just cannot go back and watch the losses. Other than seeing them in person, I still have not seen the video of us losing to Auburn in 2010, LSU in 2011, or Texas A&M this season.

I have it recorded and I can't even touch it. I'm not ready yet. That loss really hurt bad... and I'm impressed that the team could put it behind them and comfortably win the bowl game. Even if the run d was equally putrid.

That SEC title game was a hard loss to swallow, but it was a hard fought game and the kind of effort I can still stand and be proud of despite losing.

I've always liked and rooted for UGA but I've never considered myself a hardcore fan or anything (GSU is my primary college interest) so I was surprised how much that loss hurt. I woke up that following Sunday sick to my stomach on how close one of my teams had come to a championship (in which they would have been favored). Yeah it was a great and all time memorable game but in someways that just makes it harder to accept than had it been a Bama blowout.

Carter and Falconsin2012.

Sorry for the sports pain you feel.

I cannot speak for all Bama fans, but since I go way back, I just want to tell you I still hurt slightly over the Alabama loss to Notre Dame in 1973 Sugar Bowl (National Title game). Bama missed an extra point in that game and that was the difference.

It was played a whole lot like this game, but without all that scoring obviously. Two great physical teams. Oh how I loved Bama so much then because I was so young and didn’t know what else to do.

I hope you both are still fairly young. Look forward to next year. Go to the Clemson game if you can. If not, get your best Bulldog friends to gather around with you and watch that game and root for the Dogs.

You ought to win (I know it is too early to tell). But if you do, you will be well on the road to a fabulous season!

J

watching tonight i was picturing aaron murray throwing all over that nd d and gurley running through them.. oh man it stinks..

It hurts but well get through it right, we always do...

I gaurantee a National Title within the next 5 years, if thats worth anything.

When we scored on the FG, I knew our D was too winded to stop Bama. At that point, I attribute the loss to lack of depth on the DL and that 3rd and 1 we failed to convert. As much as I'd have liked to beat Bama, they won the game in the trenches which is why they deserve to be national champions. It sucks being brides maids, but that makes us better than 118/120 teams.

When we scored on the FG, I knew our D was too winded to stop Bama. At that point, I attribute the loss to lack of depth on the DL and that 3rd and 1 we failed to convert. As much as I'd have liked to beat Bama, they won the game in the trenches which is why they deserve to be national champions. It sucks being brides maids, but that makes us better than 118/120 teams.

Never bet against UGA. Even without Richt. ;)

For some reason, that specific play angers me more than anything else in that game. I honestly believe that if we converted it, we win the game. But shoulda, coulda, woulda...we had our chance and didn't capitalize on it.

Last night opened my wounds back up. I'm sure the dawgs would have beaten Notre Dame. If/when the dawgs win one it is going to feel so good.

Yes, they say absence makes the heart grow fonder, and a UGA National Championship has been absent for all but three years of my life. So I'm ready and will accept her with open arms. Aaron Murray returning was a giant step in the right direction. KG leaving was a step backwards, which makes getting MA that much bigger of a priority.