Falcons Set Record For Least Penalized Team In Nfl.

This is just outstanding. There is no question that Mike Smith is in full control. His coaching alone is a huge part of our success. I remember reading a thread about who runs this team "the players or the Coach", well I think this clears all doubts that Mike Smith is the true team General.

*We had 55 penalties this year.*

Edited by Ziggy

Smith is a great regular season coach. Bobby Cox, Marty Schottenheimer, etc. Like them, he's a "strategy" guy - he comes up with the winning long-term plan.

Smitty has a huge focus on the numbers, percentages, etc and it shows in the reg season when his teams have a great winning percentage.

In the playoffs that extra tactical piece is needed to overcome the best teams and go over the top. Which is why I think we'll do better now that we have tactical minds like Nolan and Koetter who can devise innovative gameplans.

Edited by laynepink

Smith is a great regular season coach. Bobby Cox, Marty Schottenheimer, etc.

Smitty has a huge focus on the numbers, percentages, etc and it shows in the reg season when his teams have a great winning percentage.

In the playoffs that extra piece is needed. Which is why I think we'll do better now that we have tactical minds like Nolan and Koetter who can devise innovative gameplans.

Agreed

Guest Negatorris

This was a franchise record, was it not? I didnt realize it if we set the league record all time.

Nah, it's all time. Read it a few days ago.

Smith is a great regular season coach. Bobby Cox, Marty Schottenheimer, etc. Like them, he's a "strategy" guy - he comes up with the winning long-term plan.

In the playoffs that extra tactical piece is needed to overcome the best teams and go over the top. Which is why I think we'll do better now that we have tactical minds like Nolan and Koetter who can devise innovative gameplans.

I mostly agree as well.

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

2008 we were 4th least penalized

2009 4th

2010 1st

2011 11thh

2012 1st

Pretty dam impressive. Shout out to Smitty and Dimi.

agreed. I think this is a big reason why we ate doing so well in the regular season

Since Mike Smith been here I think the Falcons have overachieved in the regular season year in and year out. The Falcons is the polar opposite of teams like Cowboys, Eagles, Chargers, etc... who are perennial underachievers, and coaching is the main reason why. It works great in the regular season but not so much in the playoff because most if not all playoff teams are well coach as well as talented.

not beating yourself is the first step to beating the other team.

Exactly. They say football is really a game of inches rather than yards, it's also a game in which the winner is usually the team which makes the fewest mistakes and doesn't beat itself with stupid mistakes. It's hard to really estimate how badly stupid penalties hurt the Falcons in year's past by having key offensive big plays and touchdowns negated because of OL holding penalties, or losing by a field goal because the defense caved in late in the game after a great effort because of a defensive holding, pass inteference, etc. at the worst possible time. But the real added benefit of having the reputation for not committing penalties is that the referees can't help but be influenced by this and will be far less likely to call a borderline penalty on us. We won't get the scrutiny that can lead to those drive-killing, nit-pick penalties because of this, so it's a pretty big deal.

Edited by PokerSteve

I'm surprised the media haven't mentoned this. They have probably ignored it because they just can't say anything positive about us.

Then again, I wouldn't put it past those idiots to spin it and use it against us e.g. by saying we aren't a good football team and only win becasue we don't commit many penalties, or some other BS.